New 1020 - Nokia Seal was broken

Fry3000

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my new 1020 at the post office. When I was going to open the nokia box I saw that the plastic nokia seal was broken and a replacement had been put over the broken one. Called the store I bought it from and they said they didnt have any nokia seals, only the nokia factory have these.
Also the plastic film which protects the phone when its new, inside the box, was covered with lint. Like someone who had handled it was wearing a wool sweater or somthing. Bizzare.

So my question is should I be worried about this? Could it just be some worker who forgott to put something in and then sealed it again? Or should I return it for another one?

thanks.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
how does the phone behave? any problems or marks to the device? if not id be tempted to keep it , if its bugging you that much then ring up and swap it over , to be honest when I have bought a sim free nokia from amazon (808 example) the boxes are usually not sealed , when I have bought say an o2 nokia (nokia 1020) the boxes have had a seal

as for the lint on the plastic , that plastic picks up lint like no ones business , leave it on the side for half a day and see how much dust and lint it collects , mine was in a sealed box and there was also a bit of lint/dust on the outside of the plastic

how you finding the phone?

Fry3000

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
nice to hear the lint thing is normal. Honestly I havent dared try the phone except turn the power on and off and it works just fine there. Now Im leaning more to ditch this whole WP thing and go to what I originally intended - the Xperia Z1 and android. The 1020 is such a beautiful design in its own right and WP seems to run buttery smooth, but reading the post people make about sanding down the 1020 body to regain its "matt finish feel"(which disappears for some reason after while apparantly) etc. The simplistic, balanced design of the Z1 seems more like a safe bet, though I?ve heard call quality on the 1020 is impecable! The same cannot be said for the Z1..

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
both are great phones mate , both have great build quality , the z1 with glass front and back and the 1020 with its uni body design , the 1020 does have great call quality and other great plus points as well . I was actually in the same boat as you , the 1020 or the z1 in the end I opted to try and ditch google and go the Microsoft route

the Microsoft eco system is picking up steam , I use a windows 8 laptop , an xbox one , Hotmail as my email and I also really like sky drive and its upgrade prices were really good , I also really like the fully fledged windows 8 tablets that are popping up for around ?300/?400 in the uk and could see myself picking up an 8" model to throw in my rucksack

now ive used android a lot and I had an 808 , s3 , s4 and a samunsg tab ....... I wanted a camera flagship an all in one device to replace my nokia 808 and my android phone ....... I tried the s4 zoom and was disappointed at the size of it and then the sensor size and quality of optics Samsung had put in it , its a ?99 point and shoot strapped to a s4 mini , it wasn't good enough to replace the nokia 808 no way and image quality showed that .

I was then left waiting for the nokia 1020 and the z1 , the lack of xenon and ois and the poor image quality I started seeing from users of the z1 swung it for me ......... its received an update and its made it better but its not much better then the s4 really and still has a silly led flash on a camera flagship which is like having tea without sugar and milk ;-) ive waited and waited for an android device that can compete with nokias camera efforts and nothing has come close ....... so I opted for the nokia 1020 and its managed to replace my 808 and my s3/s4 handsets and fitted into the eco system I have slowly been joining not because I am a ****** but because they work and fit in with my life and ive just found myself using them really

image quality is brilliant , raw support awesome , the screen amazing , the 64gb version has oodles of space for photos , gaming decent , app selection getting better and better , decent web browser , great support from nokia , feels awesome in the hand , getting updated to 8.1 , xenon flash for great all round camera useage , decent speaker phone , very handy gps with full world support , nokia music which is a great music service and free , genuine extras like the camera grip and wire less charging , there are so many plus points for the 1020 in my opinion ;-)

I read about the user sandpaping his phone if it mkes you feel any better mine is fine and I have had it since release day ....... if you want the z1 go for it but the 1020 is a superb device ;-)

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my new 1020 at the post office. When I was going to open the nokia box I saw that the plastic nokia seal was broken and a replacement had been put over the broken one. Called the store I bought it from and they said they didnt have any nokia seals, only the nokia factory have these.
Also the plastic film which protects the phone when its new, inside the box, was covered with lint. Like someone who had handled it was wearing a wool sweater or somthing. Bizzare.

So my question is should I be worried about this? Could it just be some worker who forgott to put something in and then sealed it again? Or should I return it for another one?

thanks.

when you first started up the phone did you have to go through the initial start up process? If not your phone could had been used.

check your imei with the box. Make sure the IMEI/serial number on the box has not been tempered with. Did your seller provide you the serial number of the device you are receiving? does it match?
If everything matches you are good to go. your box could had been opened for security checks.

Fry3000

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
First I?d like to express a gratitude to you both whom have answered this post. Thank you. It helps to hear other peoples perspective and experiences.

Conserning the issue of the seal broken Nokia, I ended up returning it. I am considering wether to stick with a new 1020 or go to the open and hazzle free ecosystem of android with the Z1. As @Buxz777 pointed out: they are both are great phones. Both have good and bad qualities.
The difficulty is finding the phone that delivers the best compromise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney