Sister leaving for France in a few days - Need to know which carrier to use

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
In a few days, my sister is leaving for France for 5 months. She has an AT&T Lumia 1020, and we got the unlock code already (took two attempts only). But we are wondering what carrier she should use. One that is good, and of course, works well with the AT&T 1020's bands. We were thinking either Orange or SFR, but if you guys can find something better, or suggest one of those we thought were good, that would be great.

And also, if she needs to do anything besides just put in the SIM card from that carrier, like apn's and stuff, let me know too, as we need to figure this out ASAP.

Thanks guys. Hope you can help!

Edit: I think these are the bands for the AT&T 1020, let me know if I'm wrong.

LTE network bands[SUP]3[/SUP]: 2, 4, 5, 17LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
WCDMA network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz, 2100 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Didn't you ask this a few months ago? :cool:

The three major carriers in France are Orange, SFR and Bouygues Telecom. My wife is French so we go to France a couple of times every year. I've used Orange and Bouygues Telecom for "pay as you go" while in France. SFR use to only offer "pay as you go data" for iPhone, but that may have changed over the years. Orange and Bouygues Telecom have basically identical coverage as far as I can tell, and I am normally around Paris or Nice, France.

Orange is a little more expensive than Bouygues Telecom, but they have more stores. I've attached a copy of the Bouygues Telecom "pay as you go" rates, it's from last fall. If she picks the Formule 24/24 plan for 35 euros, she'll get a 10 euro credit for her next refill and will have unlimited voice and sms in France and 250MB of data which is good for 35 days. I have no problem with 250MB of data lasting two weeks. My wife has a habit of streaming CNN videos so 250MB of data will only last her a week, so I always need to add more to her account. WiFi hot spots are more popular in France than they are in the states, so she should set up her phone to pick up Bouygues Telecom WiFi hot spots to save on data.

She'll get 3G and 3G+ in France. She won't get LTE.

Attachments

• bouygues.jpg
    bouygues.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 6

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Didn't you ask this a few months ago? :cool:

The three major carriers in France are Orange, SFR and Bouygues Telecom. My wife is French so we go to France a couple of times every year. I've used Orange and Bouygues Telecom for "pay as you go" while in France. SFR use to only offer "pay as you go data" for iPhone, but that may have changed over the years. Orange and Bouygues Telecom have basically identical coverage as far as I can tell, and I am normally around Paris or Nice, France.

Orange is a little more expensive than Bouygues Telecom, but they have more stores. I've attached a copy of the Bouygues Telecom "pay as you go" rates, it's from last fall. If she picks the Formule 24/24 plan for 35 euros, she'll get a 10 euro credit for her next refill and will have unlimited voice and sms in France and 250MB of data which is good for 35 days. I have no problem with 250MB of data lasting two weeks. My wife has a habit of streaming CNN videos so 250MB of data will only last her a week, so I always need to add more to her account. WiFi hot spots are more popular in France than they are in the states, so she should set up her phone to pick up Bouygues Telecom WiFi hot spots to save on data.

She'll get 3G and 3G+ in France. She won't get LTE.

Yeah, I asked if I could unlock it a few months ago.

And do you know the apn's to connect to the network, or can she just put in the SIM card and type the code, and that's it?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I asked if I could unlock it a few months ago.

And do you know the apn's to connect to the network, or can she just put in the SIM card and type the code, and that's it?

Ahhh, that's what it was, you asked about unlocking it for her trip to France. :cool:

I've never had to do anymore than just pop the Orange or Bouygues Telecom SIM card in on an unlocked phone. If she goes with one of the MVNO's, like Lebara, she may have to set the APN up.

I am assuming she's fluent in French since she's going to be there for 5 months, correct? Her phone will automatically change to French when she pops the SIM card in, she can change it to English if she knows where the settings are. Also, any popular sites she normally goes to will change to the French site, i.e., google.com changes to google.fr, msnbc.com changes to msnbc.fr, the Windows store will change to the French Windows store, regardless of whether you put the .com site in.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, that's what it was, you asked about unlocking it for her trip to France. :cool:

I've never had to do anymore than just pop the Orange or Bouygues Telecom SIM card in on an unlocked phone. If she goes with one of the MVNO's, like Lebara, she may have to set the APN up.

I am assuming she's fluent in French since she's going to be there for 5 months, correct? Her phone will automatically change to French when she pops the SIM card in, she can change it to English if she knows where the settings are. Also, any popular sites she normally goes to will change to the French site, i.e., google.com changes to google.fr, msnbc.com changes to msnbc.fr, the Windows store will change to the French Windows store, regardless of whether you put the .com site in.

So she just pops in a sim from Orange or whatever, and that's it?

And yeah, she's like 80% fluent in French. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786