DIY DOF adapter for 1020 w/BeastGrip

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The close up lenses aren't strong enough to get the picture to fill the viewfinder on the 1020, meaning I have to use the digital zoom to get the picture the size you see.

You can see the cardboard surround in the edge of the picture, this is removed by zooming in further, and there is a small hair on the focus screen which you can see in the corner (and a few dust specs) which I will remove when i get the chance.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
V3 of the adapter complete and much happier with it. I used the macro lens from a 37mm wide angle lens, and pressed it into one of the 42mm macro tubes (it wouldn't screw on but pressed in for a permanent fix).

Here are some photos;
12542278493_78d3184fdb_b.jpg

12542376743_14ed879bf7_b.jpg

12542716844_7cd198d23f_b.jpg

12542171035_f171636f7c_b.jpg

And a short video showing the focusing on the lens itself;
DIY DOF Adapter V3 Video Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Onto Mk4 of the adapter now - replaced with stronger diopters, meaning a shorter overall length and removal of the distracting circle effect on the bokeh. All taken with the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm @ f/2.4 (wide open).

DOF V4-2 by Crasstoe, on Flickr
DOF V4-12 by Crasstoe, on Flickr
DOF V4-13 by Crasstoe, on Flickr
DOF V4-16 by Crasstoe, on Flickr
DOF V4-19 by Crasstoe, on Flickr

More can be found here; https://flic.kr/s/aHsk19zXPQ

Mk5 is being planned currently and will likely see a replacement of the focusing screen (it's got a big scratch on the bottom corner) and I believe that a piece of rear projection screen may let more light through and with less desaturation.

Warren Manuel

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there! I must say this is some awesome stuff you have done here. Im sorry if I am increasing the ***** quotient of this post but here goes.
As an amateur to photography I was considering a Cannon or Nikkor 18-55mm "All Purpose" lens kit. My question is with a DOF adapter will i be able to manually zoom? Furthermore ( I should have led with this...) I own a 1520. Will there be any changes i sgould expect?
Thank you for your time

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
If you were to attach a kit lens (one with adjustable length, giving adjustable zoom) then you would be able to zoom using the lens, and focus using the lens, as you would on a normal SLR.

With the 1520 I couldn't comment but the principal is the same. You would need to work out how close you can focus with the camera, and adjust the length of the DOF adapter between the focusing screen and your phone to suit (obviously diopters will help make this shorter still).

Vishnu R Nair1

May 24, 2017
Visit site
Replied to your PM to offer more specific help.

please send me updates on this:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs