I have come from the dark side.

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, folks, just purchased my matte yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 a couple of hours ago.

I've been an iOS user since forever, but needed the change. Also coming from Verizon, so I'll be curious about the AT&T experience. (I live in an area with good service)

First impressions:
-Can't believe how "snappy" the WP ecosystem feels.
-Camera is legit. I am such an amateur, though, that I'm going to really need to take advantage of the tutorials.
-Screen, even if not considered "Full HD," is beautiful and crisp.

Questions:
-What are some good Apps for customizing my start screen/live tiles? I've seen some really neat home screens on this site. Curious as to how some of you folks did it.
-How do I find/access/utilize the large/RAW photo file to fully utilize that massive sensor? (I know I can't/shouldn't use these on facebook/instagram, etc., btw)
-Suggestions for any and all Apps (Thinking weather, YouTube, Social Media, Education, etc).

Thanks!

Gilbert Marcoux

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to you and your Lumia 1020,

To answer some of your questions:

Customizing live tiles: this may help How To Add Images To Live Tiles In Windows Phone 8 - Tutorial - YouTube
To learn what to do with your RAW files, read the following: Shooting in RAW with your Nokia Lumia PureView Camera | Windows Phone Central
As far as suggestions for apps: first, if you're eligible for a $20 voucher to the windows app market you should get that sent off. Then, here are some of the apps I've got: Fotor, WPCentral, Amazing Weather HD, Phototastic, Nextgen Reader, Music Import, YoutubeHD, 6tag, 6sec, 6snap, cool tiles, sozoom, Fantasia Painter and proshot

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, folks, just purchased my matte yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 a couple of hours ago.

I've been an iOS user since forever, but needed the change. Also coming from Verizon, so I'll be curious about the AT&T experience. (I live in an area with good service)

First impressions:
-Can't believe how "snappy" the WP ecosystem feels.
-Camera is legit. I am such an amateur, though, that I'm going to really need to take advantage of the tutorials.
-Screen, even if not considered "Full HD," is beautiful and crisp.

Questions:
-What are some good Apps for customizing my start screen/live tiles? I've seen some really neat home screens on this site. Curious as to how some of you folks did it.
-How do I find/access/utilize the large/RAW photo file to fully utilize that massive sensor? (I know I can't/shouldn't use these on facebook/instagram, etc., btw)
-Suggestions for any and all Apps (Thinking weather, YouTube, Social Media, Education, etc).

Thanks!

Customization / Theming apps - People here mostly use this - Skinery Themes | Windows Phone Store for apper + spill (Noreg)
However, it is not free :). There are other alternatives, so just browse similar apps to that one.

The large photo file you can find by connecting Your mobile to Your PC. You can find it via Windows Explorer inside Pictures album of Your Windows phone. Another alternative is to allow skydrive to sync / upload Your large files. See settings > synchronization.

App suggestions:
MyTube
Forecast
Calculator3
NextGen Reader (for feeds) or Weaver
Nokia Apps
Fotor (Photo editing / Enhancing)
ConnectivityTiles (Faster wifi / 3g toggle)

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi :)
I like Fotor for photo editing/collages. Also Phototastic, Nokia panorama, Blink and Picture info.

Chronos Calendar for calender/diary.

Forecast for weather, but Bing and Weatherbug are nice if they are accurate for your area. Bing's live tile is really nice.

Network Speed Test.

Skinery Themes for custom tiles.

Rotation Lock for a rotation lock tile.

Insider for battery info and lots of other stuff.

App Folder for putting folders of multiple apps on the start screen

UC Browser for an alternative browser. I'm not keen, but it gets good reviews.

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody. Downloaded several of these and have begun to customize my home screen. Last question; is there not an App that I can actively monitor my data usage with?

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I live in India so I don't know if your carrier supports it,but here we have Data Sense preinstalled on our phones. It can track data usage & also block background data usage when needed.

mikepaul85

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everybody. Downloaded several of these and have begun to customize my home screen. Last question; is there not an App that I can actively monitor my data usage with?

Absolutely. Data Sense, which should be pre-installed on your phone, is great for tracking and planning your data (so I hear).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05