LUMIA 1020 battery drains heavily

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I also use an app called "Battery" that will tell me with a Toast notification if the battery is draining fast.

I just setup the same kind of warning in "Insider". It's great because if one app is killing your battery you are warned and you can reboot the phone.

Gagavital

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that I found out the problem!
Guys , it was Nokia Mix Radio
Go turn off collect usage data and your phone won't overheat anymore , at least it worked for me! hope it helps you too!
;)

furukawa

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My 1020(RM-875) battery drains 10% per an hour and I replaced it with a new one, but no improvement is shown.
Also 1020 gets a bit warm even when no background tasks are running.
It may be a motherboard problem.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
There are various answers to why a 1020 battery may be poor. I would know because I've have 5 different ones. But before I do that, I'll share with you what I have set on my 1020 and why my battery life is just fine.

I have 2 emails set to always sync.
I have my brightness set to medium auto.
ALL (yes ALL) my background tasks are RUNNING
These include: 6snap, Bing News, Bing Sports, Bing Weather, Facebook, Metrotube, Timer, Twitter, WPCentral, and Here Drive+
I'm a medium usage user but I get a day and 10 hours of battery life easily. I have Bluetooth and Cellular Data always on.
I'm typically on my phone once or twice every 30 minutes doing various things with Bing Sports, twitter, 6tag, or 6Snap.
I text about 150+ times a day and receive about 10-20 emails a day.

Here are the various reasons and my support behind them:

1. Poor cellular signal - I have poor signal at my girlfriend's house and I get my battery life cut about a third of what it normally is.
2. NFC is on
3. (THEORY)Background tasks are disabled making them constantly try to run but are stopped over and over again, therefore draining the battery. - My battery life has improved since I turned all my tasks on instead of being off.
4. WiFi has poor signal or is slow, therefore working the CPU harder and draining the battery when surfing the internet.
5. Pictures with Flash - the Flash drains the battery, if you can, take picture without it. I can get just as good picture if not better without any flash. Always test without flash before flash. You'll save battery if you try this.
6. No closing Apps - Now that we can close apps with the "X", it is recommended to do so. I've noticed over the last week, my battery has improved by closing apps instead of hitting the back arrow.
7. Touch - Turn touch sensitivity down to normal is you aren't using gloves and also turn off double tap to wake up. By having Double Tap on, the phone is constant monitoring the screen. It's almost like the screen is always on because the phone is always waiting for the touch. Plus, if high sensitivity is on with double tap, then your phone has a chance to open and **** dial someone. Also, draining the battery. (Happened to me when I tested it)

These are just some things that I've noticed and experimented with that made my battery better or worse.

After 16 hours, I have 70% battery left right now. I've texted 75+ times, listened to 2 hours of music from the phone speaker and over my bluetooth speaker, I've used all my social media apps, and I've sent out 10+ emails while receiving roughly 15-20. I downloaded 2 apps, used bing weather, sports, and news as well for about 30-45 minutes.

I really recommend screen shotting all your apps on your phone, then doing a hard reset WITHOUT restoring from the previous back up. Then starting over if you're having problems. Go through my various steps or scenarios to see which could be the problem for you and try fixing them. If you have any problems along the way, let me know, I'd be more than willing to help!

furukawa

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought another battery from a different seller, but it shows exactly same life as 7 hours of others.
I strongly recommend to call Nokia Care to exchange your phone if you have battery drainage problem.

FORZa_PS

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
whats weird is that on the 1020 im using (not updated to wp8.1 yet) is that my battery lost its last 18 % charge in a half hour of using office lens but as soon as i connected it to charger, it went back up to 27% and has stayed around that way 10 minutes after immediately unplugging the phone. any ideas?

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I updated my wife's phone to 8.1 and it started draining battery fast. I tried a lot of fixes including disabling background tasks, wifi sense off, etc. Eventually, I went into every single setting and found that the "double-tap to open" option is somehow enabled; I unchecked that. I also found that Glance had been updated and was requiring a restart (even though I have rebooted the phone many times before). The battery consumption seemed to have returned to normal. However, 6tag/Instagram still eats battery based on the stats from battery saver. But at least I know where the battery is going. YMMV

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Excellent summary matthoms! I can definitely confirm though that low reception (be it cellular, wifi, bluetooth, or anything wireless) will kill my battery.

I just want to give a little insight into this:
3. (THEORY)Background tasks are disabled making them constantly try to run but are stopped over and over again, therefore draining the battery. - My battery life has improved since I turned all my tasks on instead of being off.

I thought the same thing for a while, and I think it may have actually worked that way at a time, according to what they have been saying about background apps, your theory _should_ not be true. Here's why (excuse me for not finding my sources on this, but I'm mostly compiling what I've learned about how the OS works, how it appears to work on my phone, and from speaking with developers):
When you install an app (some apps this happens only when the app is launched), it requests from the OS the ability to run in the background. If the OS accepts this requests, the app will provide it with a small portion of the application (basically a small function) that will get executed periodically. This small function is limited in terms of size, execution time, and functionality. I don't know the specifics of the limits, but I know it must be very small and only has something like 25 seconds to run and complete. That means the task might get stuck in a loop or fail to connect to a server, but it will timeout and be killed rather quickly.

When you turn off background tasks for a specific application, the OS simply won't accept the function and will not schedule it to run. So when the application is closed, it is closed.

There are two main exception to this though (that I am aware of):
Media - A media application will run in the background and will be able to buffer audio, change tracks, accept input from media controls, etc. I'm not sure what other background capabilities these apps have, but this does not appear to be heavily exploited except by WhatsApp (though I believe they stopped that at this point). This can, and I believe always does, override any settings that say not to run in the background.
GPS - In order to enable navigation with the screen off, GPS applications are allowed to run continuously in the background. These are the ones that are huge risks to battery life, and this seems to be the "hack" that developers tend to use to get around background task limitations. You'll see a number of apps in the store that claim they require your location, most are for ads, but some are just to enable background privileges. This was more prominent on older released of WP, but it still exists. Prior to 8.1, apps like Waze were able to override being disabled in background tasks. 8.1 seems to have blocked this.

What this means is that the "blocking" only really occurs when you run the app. Every time you run an app that wants to be allowed to run in the background, it'll send that request to the OS. The OS will say no, and the app should be done with it. Unfortunately, it may not always work that way. The app may get told no and keep trying. That will use more CPU to keep looping this unnecessary command. But if you're seeing an increase in battery life with apps allowed vs blocked, that's why: poorly coded apps.

On the contrary, if you have several (well-coded) apps set to run in the background that you don't need, they'll still try to run every time the OS has that app scheduled. That means that, for example, every 30 minutes, you'll have the phone wake up (without turning on the screen) to say "hey guys, time to get up! You have 25 seconds to do what you want!" and the apps just all press the snooze button. Unfortunately, each app has to do this. So while it may be .001s each, if you have 10 apps, that's now 0.01s total, plus OS wake up time, plus apps that actually do something, plus poorly coded apps that may take the whole 25 seconds for no reason.

My opinion: disable apps you don't want running. Let the OS handle it. If it's doing something wrong, you know where the problem is: Microsoft. Then you can file bug reports directly to them because they aren't handling background tasks properly.

Disclaimer: Based mostly on what I've heard/read/seen/tried. No claims of accuracy. Please correct me where I am wrong!

EDIT: Just re-read the API doc for background agents and updated my post. It's 25 seconds that most apps will have to run in the background. Apparently there's a "Resource intensive" background agent that can take up to 10 minutes, but those will not run unless the device is plugged in and charged > 90%.

Last edited:

Pachiniex

May 19, 2014
Visit site
"double-tap to open"

Hey, a couple of days ago I enabled that function and its been now 3 times when I noticed my L1020 being pretty hot! (and draining almost 30% per hour! So yeah, i turned that double tap off, lets see if that was the problem! I have a flip cover case with a little magnetic strap, i guess that could be interfering?

fearkiller

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1020, today (1 hour of music, 15 minutes of call, 3G on, WiFi off, Bluetooth of, location on, glance on, facebook and messanger also installed, and everything allowed on background) from 3:45 to 15:55 it used only 3%. At 16:00 I have started to browse internet now is 16:40 battery is 71%. I forgot to say Tha I am on 8.1 preview, hard reseted after. No installed battery monitor app that sucks battery. I think the display is extremely hungry. Also plaing games like angry b. epic uses extremely. Brightness is on minimum.

socalgunner

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I guess I have to count myself lucky... I installed 8.1 preview the day after I received the phone, so I dont have any real experience from when it was on 8.0. But I am very happy with my battery life. I use my phone all day, texting, emails, taking pictures, listening to music, etc. And by the time I get home after 12 hours I still have well more than 50% of the batter life left. I charge it wirelessly every night, and its good for another 12 hours of moderate to heavy use.
Previously I had a 925 and I would be lucky to have 20% at the end of the same work day.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I think if the phone has to switch a lot between 3g/2g/lte it drains battery. Some games I have had was using background battery in statistics same amount they used when active.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm very satisfied with my 1020 battery. Battery life is so essential, and it took a while for me to decide on my first smartphone without a replaceable battery. The 1020 battery doesn't last as long as the remarkable one on the 1520, but it is still excellent even on heavier phone, browsing, and photo days. I routinely plug the phone in at night; but, often I forget or can't, and I still can get in a second lighter-use day. (I'm running 8.0, patiently awaiting any auto updates.)

jplunks

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

I don't post on here but I have a L1020 and the battery has sucked for the past week or so. Phone is hot and stuff. Battery drains like crazy.

Every now and then when this site tells me about the new apps I may be interested in, I download it. I since noticed the battery drain.

I have just removed some apps and like that I have already seen a difference.

- Bet365
- Nokia Refocus
- Istagraph
- Nokia Video Trimmer
- Groupon
- Nokia Glam Me
- Where's Timmy
- BitTorrent Remote
- GasBuddy
- Movie Moments
- Slowly
- TimmyMe