LUMIA 1020 battery drains heavily

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Tried turning on airplane mode, with the result of going from 86% to 84% during the night. Turned off airplane mode this morning, and in the span of 2 hours, it went down around 10-12%. Could be something hogging the wifi/4g/location connection.

Aman Khatri

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
same with my lumia 1020...it doesn't even last a day on normal usage.....I uninstalled all default app on my device....just using 6tag and whatsapp and only allowed this two app to run in background....I bought my lumia 1020 few days back and it is with wp8.1 cyan....from India

abelljms

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
and try using the maps function- you can see htr juice draining out of the battery!!!! so fast

Today was speaking to a bunch of t05ser5 (a bank) and the call took an hour. i was using loudspeaker as it was soooo boring listening to their crepe. the whole time the phone was on charge and yet the call took battery from 100% to 25% !!

disgusted of london

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that disabling location services improves
battery a lot in our 1020. I guess that needs to be explained.

Many users don't/won't take the time, or seek to learn their phones, particularly how their apps and settings (when provided) work. On topic, many download apps quite indiscriminately, including not checking for active access rights they grant apps, and battery-draining "features" in particular --some of which serve primarily the developer.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I too have problems...33% over the night with merely no background apps active.
I'm on 5009 too. Something in 8.1 is causing this as when I've had 8.0 I could get less than 10% loss overnight with much more apps in background

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Many users don't/won't take the time, or seek to learn their phones, particularly how their apps and settings (when provided) work. On topic, many download apps quite indiscriminately, including not checking for active access rights they grant apps, and battery-draining "features" in particular --some of which serve primarily the developer.

Those "features" are mostly unique to Windows Phone. On an iPhone or modern Android it's not necessary to micro manage settings. Turning off location services, background services, and NFC (Android) will only marginally help battery life, if it's even noticeable. WP is still "under construction."

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@tgp as it stands now, the iphone has worst battery life than WP and Nexus 5/Note4/Nexus 6
True, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to micro managing settings to increase battery life. Turning off things like background tasks, location services, and NFC will scarcely make a difference in battery life on an iPhone or high end Android. WP has some serious battery drain bugs.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Those "features" are mostly unique to Windows Phone. On an iPhone or modern Android it's not necessary to micro manage settings. Turning off location services, background services, and NFC (Android) will only marginally help battery life, if it's even noticeable. WP is still "under construction."
We all use our devices differently, travel diversely, and live -and move about- in such different locales relative to towers, Wi-Fi, etc., that comparisons across users are SO limited. I don't have any battery problems on my 1020; mine lasts all day and evening on normal-for-me-only days, and I noted slight improvement, if anything, when I updated to Cyan 8.1. Honest. Best battery life I've had on a smartphone, going back to the original -a Treo 270, and I use this more than any prior one primarily because the camera and tethering work so well and reliably. If it was the OS, all our WP batteries would "drain heavily" -or not.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
There are various answers to why a 1020 battery may be poor. I would know because I've have 5 different ones. But before I do that, I'll share with you what I have set on my 1020 and why my battery life is just fine.

I have 2 emails set to always sync.
I have my brightness set to medium auto.
ALL (yes ALL) my background tasks are RUNNING
These include: 6snap, Bing News, Bing Sports, Bing Weather, Facebook, Metrotube, Timer, Twitter, WPCentral, and Here Drive+
I'm a medium usage user but I get a day and 10 hours of battery life easily. I have Bluetooth and Cellular Data always on.
I'm typically on my phone once or twice every 30 minutes doing various things with Bing Sports, twitter, 6tag, or 6Snap.
I text about 150+ times a day and receive about 10-20 emails a day.

Here are the various reasons and my support behind them:

1. Poor cellular signal - I have poor signal at my girlfriend's house and I get my battery life cut about a third of what it normally is.
2. NFC is on
3. (THEORY)Background tasks are disabled making them constantly try to run but are stopped over and over again, therefore draining the battery. - My battery life has improved since I turned all my tasks on instead of being off.
4. WiFi has poor signal or is slow, therefore working the CPU harder and draining the battery when surfing the internet.
5. Pictures with Flash - the Flash drains the battery, if you can, take picture without it. I can get just as good picture if not better without any flash. Always test without flash before flash. You'll save battery if you try this.
6. No closing Apps - Now that we can close apps with the "X", it is recommended to do so. I've noticed over the last week, my battery has improved by closing apps instead of hitting the back arrow.
7. Touch - Turn touch sensitivity down to normal is you aren't using gloves and also turn off double tap to wake up. By having Double Tap on, the phone is constant monitoring the screen. It's almost like the screen is always on because the phone is always waiting for the touch. Plus, if high sensitivity is on with double tap, then your phone has a chance to open and **** dial someone. Also, draining the battery. (Happened to me when I tested it)

These are just some things that I've noticed and experimented with that made my battery better or worse.

After 16 hours, I have 70% battery left right now. I've texted 75+ times, listened to 2 hours of music from the phone speaker and over my bluetooth speaker, I've used all my social media apps, and I've sent out 10+ emails while receiving roughly 15-20. I downloaded 2 apps, used bing weather, sports, and news as well for about 30-45 minutes.

I really recommend screen shotting all your apps on your phone, then doing a hard reset WITHOUT restoring from the previous back up. Then starting over if you're having problems. Go through my various steps or scenarios to see which could be the problem for you and try fixing them. If you have any problems along the way, let me know, I'd be more than willing to help!

Dude that awesome battery life with so many running in background. But you are right, you can disable notifications on apps you do not like to disturb you but leaving the background access opened. I will surely try this as my battery life is not good on my 1020, and imagine my email accounts do not even sync as arriving, one is once a day the other is manual.

Caleb Guadalupe

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys! My daughter asked me to buy her a Lumia Phone because of the camera. I got her an used red Lumia 920 in excellent condition. I'm an android user and my daughter is an iPhone user. My first impression of the phone was that it looks great but after seen that after so many years Windows Phone has not been able to manage at least having the most popular apps and the ones available are very faulty, they lost my respect.
I also bought a Lumia 1020 to test it and see what could be done to improve. I'm just starting to play with it but my main claim is the low battery life and the poor app choices. I could life with the limitation of apps but cant with the faulty ones.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm having a same battery drain issue with my 1020. It was 17.7% / hour after hard resetting - and also adjusted settings. Yesterday I installed Battery Doctor and charged 1020, I found a funny thing. Although charging process finished, the animation in the app was still saying "Charging" even though its "tickled" process was done. I let it get charged further a couple of hours, then it lasted long, and usage rate dropped to around 10%.

The battery became flat before this morning even though I set to flight mode. I'm charging it now and would let it get charged further a couple of hours to see how it goes. I deleted My Radio, Facebook as well, and haven't installed much apps at the moment. I have one Exchange email account being active.

"Calibration" method didn't work for me as when it's dead, it couldn't turn on (just showed red battery and it went dead again, not coming back to turn on).

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Just an update - after charge, currently discharging rate is 8%~10% and my setting is:

SIM : 3G, Carrier: Vodafone
Bluetooth, Location, NFC, : off
Battery saver: off
Brightness: Low
Screen rotation: locked, portrait
Backup: apps+settings, text messages - on, photos+videos - off
Touch sensitivity: normal
Glance screen: off

I have one Exchange account which is set to use "Download new content - as items arrive" - just to see how much overall battery drain is going to be. I uninstalled FB, Radio app, health, food. So not much apps are going on. (By doing this test I'm little bit disappointed that I have to consider about battery drain issue when 1020 is supposed to be a smartphone to do many things....)

mflotron

May 22, 2014
Visit site
In my case i found the solution! I was having 8% /hour in airplane mode.
I tried everything and one simple thing fix the problem, from 15% to 1% /hour turning off location.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi mflotron - congratulations to work it out. Mine's been draining for around 8~9% / hour even though it's in flight mode with battery saver on. So location didn't do much for me. It really appears that this battery draining issue would come from individual hw issue rather than software issue. People say it'd come from OS, but I'm not quite sure yet. If it doesn't hold energy less than 10 hours after some more test, unfortunately I'd need to sell.....

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Just an update - I brought it in Nokia Care shop and they replaced the battery saying it might be faulty. I've now charged up to 100% to see how it can drain. Next step for the shop is to send it off to 2nd line to check/replace motherboard.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine's done for battery replacement and didn't work in the end. Now Nokia Care shop has sent it to their 2nd line support to get hardware, motherboard checked and do what they need to do to rectify the issue. I'm very interested in what outcome would be.

>mariusmutean
Would you please tell me how long your battery lasts after replacement?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have not replaced my battery. My point was regarding your post that maybe it will work ok after the replacement and spare you for another waiting period for the mainboard change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb