LUMIA 1020 battery drains heavily

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh I see, apologies for my mistake. I was hoping new battery would resolve the issue so I need to wait for 10 days to get it back to see if Nokia manages to sort it out.

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had two of these phones - one a brand new replacement from MS to fix the first. After 8.1 neither had a battery that lasted more than a few hours. I can use it for 10 minutes and see 8% vanish. This is without many backgrounds tasks, no high sensitivity, no double tap to wake or glance screen.

Something happened with this news OS updated that really messed this phone up big time.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
There appear to be two reasons for this battery draining issue. One is from W8.1 and another is from hardware. Some people seem to have a decent battery life even though they keep certain functions on all the way (e.g. wifi, bluetooth, location etc.) - which means it could still hold decent battery life on W8.1. I'm hoping that Nokia Care spots the issue with my 1020 and rectify, replace whatever part causing battery draining to be repaired. I'm very curious about what they'd do as a result (I've already had the battery replaced by the Nokia Care shop before it's sent to 2nd line support).

VladIV

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The battery app on my Lumia 1020 says that it discharges with about 5.5% per hour, is that much?
And when it gets to 20% battery , it shows that it is about 17%/hour. I just want to know if it's normal or not.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
>Vlad
Hi, it depends on what you have, which option are on with your 1020. If you have lots of apps running on background and bluetooth, wifi, location on, then could go up to 5%, but 17% sounds like too much unless you play games or other heavy app to run. I had a couple of situations when it exceeded 20% when I was just doing internet and checking mobile phone. How long would your battery usually last?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Another issue for battery drain is the battery back body of Lumia 1020 . Sometimes it leaks battery and keeps draining it. I gave my phone to Nokia care for battery drain... They replaced the battery back body and there was no battery drain..

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
>jeetu4444
Yeah, I saw someone saying the backcover was causing battery draining and replacing it rectifies the issue. Would you please tell me how long your battery would last afterwards?

VladIV

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
>T0shi
The thing is that the battery app shows that it drains fast but if I leave it idle , with wifi on , about 2% goes off In one hour. 17% is only when I reach 20% battery but then again, it doesn't discharge that fast.
Anyway, that percentage it's quite stupid, I mean after 3 to 4 hours of using only WhatsApp, on wi-fi, my phone reaches 3% and it shuts down , I have never seen it reach 2% or 1%.
And about apps running in background I have allowed : WhatsApp Facebook, metrotube , Cortana calendar, weather instagram and store. The battery saver app never shows that something uses battery in background.
With pretty low use I get about 14 hours , but most of the time its idle .
Do you have any tips about making my battery last longer ?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Earlier the phone would die in 8 to 10, hours with phone doing nothing much.... After replacement battery life is normal...life heavy use around 12 to 15 hours...medium use 18 to 20 hrs and light use 2 days....thou I have many apps working in background and double tap to wake active....location active...cortana active...
>jeetu4444
Yeah, I saw someone saying the backcover was causing battery draining and replacing it rectifies the issue. Would you please tell me how long your battery would last afterwards?

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
>Vlad,
You can go to Battery to see which app is consuming battery - other than that, there are many posts/website which are saying certain apps would take your battery. WhatsUp was one of the app that I saw if you are let it run on background.

>jeetu4444
I see, thank you for sharing. I got my 1020 back from Nokia Care which was sent to 2nd line - they said "Oh they replaced a battery" (again as the shop already did this and no effect) "and some "adjustments". It seems they didn't replace back panel. I charged for 100%, then saw how it went yesterday. it's same even in flight mode, no bluetooth/NFC/location/online backups, low display light, the battery was dead after around 10 hours as it drains over 10~15% per hour. (I restarted my phone a couple of times before left it to see) As this 1020 isn't my main phone. I will bring it back to ask them to do things properly :/

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've just had my battery and mainboard replaced, I charged it overnight on Thursday and it has just died this morning (Monday)! Admittedly it has only had really, really light use. Location, WiFi and double tap is on, I have downloaded virtually no apps this time and it has gone from sluggish to zipping along, camera opens quickly as well. I am trying to keep it minimal, very few apps and upload photos then delete... but suspect that resolution will go out of the window ��
Edited to add the back panel has also been replaced, the shop didn't mention this, but it is definitely new.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Ixia, it's good to know that 1020 can do that performance even though I understand that it was a very light use. Well, mine was dead in 10 hours without being really used. It's funny that Nokia Care still can't get it right. I'm going to suggest them to consider to replace the back panel this time.

t4z84

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 1020 a few years ago and find the dying battery alarming... Is mine faulty? I just took it off the charger 3 hours ago and it has already lost 4 percent.. It says it has 2 days 14 hours remaining... Is that normal? I thought it should last much longer then two. My mum's one has been running for 2 days since last charge and says still has over 24 hours left.

What is wrong with mine please? Thanks. I don't think I run that much on it.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 1020 a few years ago and find the dying battery alarming... Is mine faulty? I just took it off the charger 3 hours ago and it has already lost 4 percent.. It says it has 2 days 14 hours remaining... Is that normal? I thought it should last much longer then two. My mum's one has been running for 2 days since last charge and says still has over 24 hours left.

What is wrong with mine please? Thanks. I don't think I run that much on it.

Um really? That's insane battery. That's 1.33% per hour!! That's amazing. Anything between 5-10 is realistic. If you use your phone, don't expect it to last longer than about 10-12 hours. 😊

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
weird, the back panel to be the culprit?

I can't remember where I found this post but a couple of posts that I saw were talking about the back panel causing short circuit and makes draining battery. Another thing that I read somewhere was that faulty micro USB socket would cause same issue.

Not sure if this is the case for me, but I'm frustrated as I had to test to see if the issue was rectified *after* their repair and in fact it was same issue still existing. I feel they didn't do their job.

T0shi

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Um really? That's insane battery. That's 1.33% per hour!! That's amazing. Anything between 5-10 is realistic. If you use your phone, don't expect it to last longer than about 10-12 hours. ��

Yup, I agree with blue1k, t4z84, it sounds like you have a brilliant battery life with 1020. I envy you :) I don't think you are having any issue. It's normal (1020 should've been like this.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo