Anyone else horizontal/vertical lines with camera/photos?

Mobje

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey All,

I just found this place and thought i'd register....so i did :)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me..
I recently got my second Lumia 1020, because my first 1020 had noticeable horizontal lines on my photos, so i returned the first one and received a second 1020..
NOW...i'm experiencing the same problem! Horrible horizontal (or vertical) lines on my screen (with Camera) and my photos when i take pictures with low light or shoot a video (with or without flash).
I've been hearing all these good things about the camera and i've seen beautiful low light photos, but mine aren't.
So far i haven't read any posts about these lines..
Is there anyone else here with this problem or knows what to do?
I'm thinking about returning this one as well, but i'm afraid my 3rd 1020 will have those same annoying lines.

I've included a picture taken with low light and no flash and 2 screenshots of some videos i shot.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks! :smile:

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It is the refresh rate of the screen and the lights not matching up. TV in the UK is broadcast at 24 fps, so lighting in the UK is tailored to match at 24hz.

This is why you have the option to record video at 24/25/30 fps, so you can match the lighting in the environment you are in.

This is set automatically when taking photos, but will struggle in low light.

Mobje

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, guys!

So i guess it's normal and you all are experiencing the same thing?
I don't know if i like this.. This didn't happen with my Lumia 920. It was all good!

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I get those lines on the display. When panning a photo or webpage. Or when scrolling in multitasking view. The horizontal lines make verticality offset.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
But I don't get those lines in camera photos. I think my 1020 may be having some screen related issue.

I've my thread, you can check it in my profile.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't see them on the display or normally on photos. So I had a go at trying to take a similar photo, and yes focussing too close in v. low light does sometimes seem to create those horizontal lines. But I certainly didn't see them on the display when taking the photo. They only showed up when the lighting was so dark that the display was black.

Mobje

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your replies! I guess it can be normal... I thought about sending my 1020 to Nokia Repair, but it might not be necessary after all! :)

FJane

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, i am a user of nokia lumia 1320 and updated to 8.1 few days back..but just last night i got some issues on my camera,it has vertical and horizontal line both in camera and photos taken..

Im not sure if i made unnecessary changes on my settings or lumia problems..Hope aomeone could help me out,image.jpgimage.jpg

codynunes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I use to get those lines on my Lumia 900, and just got a replacement 1020 that I am noticing them. the 900 was horrible at low light hence the improvement with the 920. My 1020 just started having these lines, and though they are normal, I am keep an eye out to see what effects Cyan had to the 1020 camera.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Right after seeing the thread title about seeing horizontal/vertical lines in photos, I immediately clicked it and hoped that it was the exact same problem I HAD with the L1020. However, it seems that your problem occurs only when the subject is in dark conditions. In my first image, you can see that my L1020 didn't have as much trouble in even darker conditions (moonlight and distant lights from bars/restaurants)... though you can still barely make out a few horizontal lines (which I think is signal noise from amplification). Try adjusting the ISO, make it lower to reduce signal amplification and compensate lower ISO with longer exposure times (and a lot more stable hands!) (See bottom of this reply for a sample).
WP_20140416_00_52_38_Pro.jpg

The problem I HAD, HOWEVER, under NORMAL lighting conditions, was this pair of terrible HORIZONTAL LINES (this one while testing the camera on a random shot of our dog).
WP_20140425_14_07_50_Pro.jpg
The photo was unusually dark and there were two (one near the middle and the other at the very top) normal-brightness strips of the photo. The "Saving" time was appreciably much longer, too (about 30 seconds!). I tried shooting again but they disappeared:
WP_20140425_14_08_13_Pro.jpg

That problem happened more or less only thrice. I suspect that it was because I was in developer preview and my L1020 has picked up a minor update (a few MB in size) without matching firmware before that started to happened. It also could have been an incremental update to the Nokia Camera App or Nokia Camera BETA App that I was using. I wasn't able to isolate the cause, neither did Nokia responded to my report.

Back to your issue: Now in WP8.1 GDR1 (still waiting for Cyan update to be released to dev prev!), here are two shots of a street at night. The first was at ISO100 1/3sec exposure time - as you can see, it was dark but no horizontal or vertical lines were visible - less signal amplification. The second was at ISO4000 4sec exposure time (and, yes, 5 seconds of holding my breath like a sniper squeezing the trigger).
WP_20140812_20_18_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20140812_20_24_35_Pro.jpg
Indeed, with a lot of sensor signal amplification at ISO4000 the noise was more apparent - more grain and the lines were also beginning to show up again (though very faintly).

I suspect that the lines you're seeing are a result of signal noise, so it will be useful to try shooting manual at lower ISOs and let us know if that fixes the problem. Try using the lowest possible ISO setting (ISO100 might be too low for dark conditions) at 4 seconds exposure time. Here's what I got at almost complete darkness (under an inflated blanket on my bed with only a faint light from the staircase) at ISO 800 and 4 sec exp time:
WP_20140525_04_01_28_Pro.jpg
It's not a great shot, but what could I do if I could barely even see what I was shooting? :cool:

Last edited:

faizan asad

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi!! ii'm having similar issues on my lumia 620. front camera seems to work while there is a vertical line appearing in the rear camera screen, even in the photos.WP_20150516_17_55_48_Pro.jpg

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi!! ii'm having similar issues on my lumia 620. front camera seems to work while there is a vertical line appearing in the rear camera screen, even in the photos.View attachment 104779

This is potentially a hardware-level issue, specifically the camera sensor itself might be starting to fail and may need replacement.

Take it to a service center and have them diagnose the problem.

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
So I dropped my phone on the floor there is no screen damage but when I turn on the back camera it's perfect but the front camera has lines going vertically down and I want to know how to fix it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3