Switched to Tmo, cant get tethering to work

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just switched to Tmo with a Rogers 1020 and have problems with getting tethering to work. I have the $70 unlimited plan which includes 2.5GB hotspot data and initially when trying to enable tethering i was getting an error that there was no internet connection to be shared when on LTE, switching down to HSPA fixed that. In trying to get tethering working on LTE I tried the solution in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html but it was unsuccessful and now when i try to tether i get an upsell message directing me to add tethering to my plan. At the moment internet and MMS are working fine and i have uninstalled the access point software as shown in the thread.

So wondering if anyone has any advice on this, the fix in the thread mentioned suggested using a foreign SIM and the only one i has was for AIO which presented itself as att so I am going to try and get hold of a non US SIM to see if that enables the fix to work but if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The foreign SIM trick worked my Rogers 920 to enable tethering on T-Mobile. Give it a shot, looks like uninstalling access point is the only solution w/ addition to performing the additional steps as mentioned in that thread. One thing you could try is to hard reset the phone w/o the T-Mobile SIM and then uninstall Access Point and continue with the additional steps mentioned. My understanding it the foreign sim is needed only when an APN has been selected earlier in Access Point. Good luck!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I saw your response in that thread so it made me hopeful it would work with my 1020. I've got my hands on a Vodafone sim but its full sized so I'll need to get it cut down before I try again. I'm hoping its an actual non US SIM that's the key here as I can see the way the error message changes based on what sim you have when you try using access point so maybe using a us carrier sim negates the fix.

Edit: got my Voda SIM cut to fit and tried the fix, still getting prompted to upgrade. Prior to this I did not have access point installed so looks like i'll have to hard reset to fix it.

Edit 2: tried again and this time chose a few other carriers listed on the Voda SIM and tried to enable tethering under that profile, continued with the instructions and its working now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett