First Day Impression = Lumia 1020

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello WPCentral!

I finally received my Lumia 1020 today.

Obviously having a phone for a few hours doesn't make you an expert on it so I'm just going to throw a few things out there to see if anyone else has noticed some things I have.

Display = I'm seeing where everything doesn't "fit" on the screen. For example, if I go to the PHONE part, it is where I last left off; Voicemail. I just find it odd that next to "voicemail" is the first part of "history" but just "histo". Sort of like when I go to PHOTOS. The top of the screen has "photos" and then there's "camera roll, albums, date, people". Of to the right of the screen is "f" from "favorites" and some letters under it for the dialogue underneath "favorites". I'm not sure if this is a problem with my phone or if it just is how things display on this phone. If I swipe to the left and bring "favorites" over, it displays correctly but then to he far right I'm seeing half the letter "w" for "what's new".
Is it like that for everyone?

Icons = When I'm on my front screen or home or whatever it's called (where the tiles are), SOMETIMES it shows my 4g and WiFi connections and other times it's blank. Shouldn't it always display that info?

Camera = What's not to like there? Very impressed as I was hoping to be. One question though, I know with my old iPhone there's a way to remote trigger it via any headset/mic combo that has volume buttons. Anything similar for this?

So far it's been incredibly easy to bring over my contacts, photos, music and calendar info from my iPhone to my Lumia. What a relief!!!

Ok, iPhone user since 2009, using an interface that's not at all familiar to me... I can do this!!!! :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello WPCentral!

I finally received my Lumia 1020 today.

Obviously having a phone for a few hours doesn't make you an expert on it so I'm just going to throw a few things out there to see if anyone else has noticed some things I have.

Display = I'm seeing where everything doesn't "fit" on the screen. For example, if I go to the PHONE part, it is where I last left off; Voicemail. I just find it odd that next to "voicemail" is the first part of "history" but just "histo". Sort of like when I go to PHOTOS. The top of the screen has "photos" and then there's "camera roll, albums, date, people". Of to the right of the screen is "f" from "favorites" and some letters under it for the dialogue underneath "favorites". I'm not sure if this is a problem with my phone or if it just is how things display on this phone. If I swipe to the left and bring "favorites" over, it displays correctly but then to he far right I'm seeing half the letter "w" for "what's new".
Is it like that for everyone?

That is by design, hinting that there's more stuff just one small swipe away. You would notice its pretty consistent.

Icons = When I'm on my front screen or home or whatever it's called (where the tiles are), SOMETIMES it shows my 4g and WiFi connections and other times it's blank. Shouldn't it always display that info?

It hides those by default, just touch where they would be or swipe down and watch them pop up. That too, is by design.

Camera = What's not to like there? Very impressed as I was hoping to be. One question though, I know with my old iPhone there's a way to remote trigger it via any headset/mic combo that has volume buttons. Anything similar for this?

No idea

So far it's been incredibly easy to bring over my contacts, photos, music and calendar info from my iPhone to my Lumia. What a relief!!!
good to hear!

Ok, iPhone user since 2009, using an interface that's not at all familiar to me... I can do this!!!! :)

my input in bold yet again

EasyOn

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah. Congrats on the new phone. Okay, let me see if I can help out here.
Display. Yes, that is how the OS was designed, it is made so that you can 'pivot' left or right, the first letters from the menu next page is to help show that you can swipe over to see other things. Also, don't forget the three 'dots' at the bottom right. It is also to show other hidden options.

Icons. Yes, they do disappear after a period of time, something to do with the 'minimalist' nature of the OS, but you can view them anytime by 'knocking' or swiping at the very top of the screen.

Camera. Yes, their is default camera key, that will be the very last key on the right side of the device. You can also launch the camera using that key, even if the phone is locked. You should enable that feature in the settings though.

So, hope that helps out. Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
OK so from what I can tell there is no "remote trigger" for the camera so I'll have to use a timer or something.

Alarms work good but wow this thing is quiet.

No timer (I use it for breaks and lunch while at my day job). I tried two different timers and the problem is they wouldn't work unless I stayed on the actual screen for the timer (honestly if you're going to stay on one screen the whole time you don't need a timer, you'll just watch the clock). Finally found one that still works after you leave the screen.

Calendar = I do need some help here. During the initial setup, I guess I've given FB access to the calendar. So now it looks like I'm the most popular guy with the most active social calendar ever. Every single event I'm casually invited to is filling up my calendar. Is there any way to stop that?

I'm still in my first 24 hours of owning the Lumia 1020. Seeing as my reference point is the iPhone, that's where I keep making comparisons. I'd say to have each in your hand, the iPhone just "feels" like a high end device. The countdown timer just seems like a thing any phone would have.
The Lumia 1020 has its advantages too and I'm really starting to enjoy the tiled screen.

Over all, there will definitely things about the iPhone I miss. There will definitely things about he iPhone that make me glad to be rid of it.

MagusShadow

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Alarms work good but wow this thing is quiet.

The default Nokia alarm is pathetically quiet. I use the "alarm 1" tone instead :)

No timer (I use it for breaks and lunch while at my day job). I tried two different timers and the problem is they wouldn't work unless I stayed on the actual screen for the timer (honestly if you're going to stay on one screen the whole time you don't need a timer, you'll just watch the clock). Finally found one that still works after you leave the screen.

It is one of those mystery touches that seem to be absent from WP. I am in the same boat at my job and keep an alarm tile pinned and go with that.

Calendar = I do need some help here. During the initial setup, I guess I've given FB access to the calendar. So now it looks like I'm the most popular guy with the most active social calendar ever. Every single event I'm casually invited to is filling up my calendar. Is there any way to stop that?

I'll have to look into that, I too have that setting on but it's nice to keep up on potential events.

I'm still in my first 24 hours of owning the Lumia 1020. Seeing as my reference point is the iPhone, that's where I keep making comparisons. I'd say to have each in your hand, the iPhone just "feels" like a high end device. The countdown timer just seems like a thing any phone would have.
The Lumia 1020 has its advantages too and I'm really starting to enjoy the tiled screen.

Over all, there will definitely things about the iPhone I miss. There will definitely things about he iPhone that make me glad to be rid of it.

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Calender: Like someone said before, press the 3 dots at the bottom. Then you can scroll down to "Facebook events..." and change the settings.

You should really check the 3 dots in every app, you could find some nice options. Also: Go to the normal settings (Homescreen-> swipe left -> settings) and have a look around! Turn off Tap&Send for example to save energy. In the settings menu, you can also swipe left (or right?^^) to find even more settings. There, you can handle your background tasks (maybe saves energy if you dont need some of them), you can download maps for navigation, and important: in Music / Games settings you can turn off different sync / online whatever crap. If you dont need it, i heard that saves a lot of juice.

Oh, and did you see any updates for your phone yet? Do you have you store tile on the homescreen? After 48 hours you should got your updates! If not, check these forums. WP8 has sometimes problems with updates. Hopefully fix it with WP8.1...

Oh yeah, and Glance Screen also consumes much energy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon