1020 broken, due to sliding off flat surfaces!

dsands

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I was excited to get a yellow 1020 for Christmas but it's broken already, the phone slides off flat surfaces! Even my husband didn't believe me until it woke him up, sliding off my bedside table and hitting the floor. The screen and camera are broken and Nokia want $335 to fix it!! Nokia won't accept that other people have the same issue with Lumia phones and that the damaged was caused by a 'problem' with the phone and not me dropping it. Has anyone else had this problem. Any ideas on getting Nokia to acknowledge this problem. I am so disappointed. What happens if I pay to get it fixed and it does it again? This will be one very expensive phone!! The customer service is a joke. One guy told me that non-living things don't move and that only supernatural occurrences could cause my phone to move.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The CS guy is right. Non-living things don't move on their own. Something has to interact in some way to cause the movement.

I'm not blaming you. I'm saying I would at least investigate the cause as well to prevent future mishaps. It could be something as simple as things not being as 'flat' as you think.

For instance does the phone move everywhere you go with it, or only at home?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you have the phone face down? There is a video or two on youtube of Lumias sliding around on flat surfaces I think, when they are placed screen-side down.

If you get it fixed, I'd put a case on it or don't place it that way, it will happen again. The screen is very slick and will slide very easily on smooth surfaces.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I remember this was an issue with the 920 it was the way the glass was made.

That won't cause movement on a truly level flat surface without at least a catalyst for the movement. Something still has to cause the movement...whether it be gravity due to a slight tilt or vibration from the motors in the phone, etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That won't cause movement on a truly level flat surface without at least a catalyst for the movement. Something still has to cause the movement...whether it be gravity due to a slight tilt or vibration from the motors in the phone, etc.

well, i dont know about you, but my desk is probably tilted ever so slightly.

Yeah and what evil human being puts their phone down on its screen?!?!?!

One who wanted glance to turn off while charging (pre-Black of course)

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this complaint is just crazy. Why would you want to blame Nokia for something you did wrong? Nokia did not drop your phone, your actions led to it falling of the bedside table for whatever reason that has to do with the bedside table surface, angle, phone placement, etc. As mentioned above things don't move on their own.
I am sorry your phone broke, but next time maybe put a case on it or put in on a non-slip cloth, instead of blaming customer support for not replacing a dropped phone [regardless of what caused the fall].

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It is covered on your contents insurance, use it if you have it. I've had to claim for accidental damage on my GFs Lumia 820 twice now, ?20 each claim, new phone each time.

If you don't have contents insurance take a phone insurance policy out, wait a week then claim you just broke it, unless the insurance company know for fact it broke before then you'll be covered.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have contents insurance take a phone insurance policy out, wait a week then claim you just broke it, unless the insurance company know for fact it broke before then you'll be covered.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Yeah dude just commit insurance fraud! It's not illegal or anything!

adporter

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this complaint is just crazy. Why would you want to blame Nokia for something you did wrong? Nokia did not drop your phone, your actions led to it falling of the bedside table for whatever reason that has to do with the bedside table surface, angle, phone placement, etc. As mentioned above things don't move on their own.
I am sorry your phone broke, but next time maybe put a case on it or put in on a non-slip cloth, instead of blaming customer support for not replacing a dropped phone [regardless of what caused the fall].

Well that was pretty insensitive! There is nothing crazy about this complaint. I'm a network engineer and can attest to the fact that electromagnetic pulls (basic physics) and screen design can certainly cause a phone to move on its own. This customer has absolutely every right to blame the provider and should be reimbursed. The customers "action" of placing the phone on a bed side table makes her human. Where do you put your phone John? I hope you don't sleep with it - but then again that may justify your post at 2:38am.

Gilbert Marcoux

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I, like Nokia's customer service, would ask that you duplicate this rather than just take you at your word, even if you are a network engineer. Without proof, they have no case (basic law). I'm not an engineer but can attest to the fact that people make up bull**** reasons rather than accept blame. And I feel for the original poster. My phone just got dropped off 20 mins ago to replace a broken screen because it caught in my pocket coming out and I dropped it on a ceramic floor. It should have been in the Otterbox case that I'd purchased for it but wasn't because I had the Qi case on it for the convenience of wireless charging. That case has no grip and offers almost no protection. I could say it's bad design, that they should have built Qi charging into the phone like the 920 but in the end I didn't put a case on it so it's MY fault.
Well that was pretty insensitive! There is nothing crazy about this complaint. I'm a network engineer and can attest to the fact that electromagnetic pulls (basic physics) and screen design can certainly cause a phone to move on its own. This customer has absolutely every right to blame the provider and should be reimbursed. The customers "action" of placing the phone on a bed side table makes her human. Where do you put your phone John? I hope you don't sleep with it - but then again that may justify your post at 2:38am.

Janda45

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
This is just typical America anymore. People make a mistake and rather than own it they try to blame others for it. Take some responsibility OP. You didn't take care of your phone. You neglected to put a protective case on it. You really believe the phone moves on it's own? If it is vibrating you should have expected a little movement. My bedroom is carpeted and if my phone fell off the nightstand it wouldn't break. At minimum you should have prevented the device from falling by having it on a charger or securing it some way preventing such an accident. In any case, it was an accident and you're responsible.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is just typical America anymore. People make a mistake and rather than own it they try to blame others for it. Take some responsibility OP. You didn't take care of your phone. You neglected to put a protective case on it. You really believe the phone moves on it's own? If it is vibrating you should have expected a little movement. My bedroom is carpeted and if my phone fell off the nightstand it wouldn't break. At minimum you should have prevented the device from falling by having it on a charger or securing it some way preventing such an accident. In any case, it was an accident and you're responsible.

Hey, carefull with the American bashing there, I don't believe the narcissistic " I can do no wrong " is an American exclusive LOL

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if serious or Trolling -_-

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: DELETE
REASON: Troll is still here...

Last edited:

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
These phones really do this. You can prevent it all you like with leveling but the weight being mostly in the bottom throws it for a course and it can end up in crazy places. Plus vibrate people. The cause is low-friction glass raised above the casing of the device. And since we're supposed to be able to flip to silence, who is to say that isn't the last thing I did before my phone started this? Sounds like a design flaw to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05