1020 broken, due to sliding off flat surfaces!

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Even if it's possible for the phone to "move", we can't disregard the direction and distance it will require for the phone to go off on a surface. It would most likely require the phone to move at least half it's length or width (assuming weight generally evenly distributed, maybe less with 1020's hump) past the edge of the platform for it to "fall off". And then the direction, it has to be moving the phone toward the edge. So the chance of all these happening is definitely not high. I can hardly imagine (but welcome anyone to provide some good calculation to prove me wrong) that a phone placed nice and safe not too near the edge of a flat nightstand would move that much and cause it to fall. My own phone is actually always at the edge of my night stand, never moved.

Also, is it true that this does not happen on any other phones? Nokia is not the only company using this type of glass for the screen, if this could potentially happen with most kind of screens, then Nokia is not accountable for the fall at all. It would just be an interested new fact that we will learn about smartphone surfaces that we should take notice in the future.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Even if it's possible for the phone to "move", we can't disregard the direction and distance it will require for the phone to go off on a surface. It would most likely require the phone to move at least half it's length or width (assuming weight generally evenly distributed, maybe less with 1020's hump) past the edge of the platform for it to "fall off". And then the direction, it has to be moving the phone toward the edge. So the chance of all these happening is definitely not high. I can hardly imagine (but welcome anyone to provide some good calculation to prove me wrong) that a phone placed nice and safe not too near the edge of a flat nightstand would move that much and cause it to fall. My own phone is actually always at the edge of my night stand, never moved.

Also, is it true that this does not happen on any other phones? Nokia is not the only company using this type of glass for the screen, if this could potentially happen with most kind of screens, then Nokia is not accountable for the fall at all. It would just be an interested new fact that we will learn about smartphone surfaces that we should take notice in the future.
I think it is more lack of bezels or protruding other elements and less Nokia. So any phone as all glass as the front of these should do it.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it is more lack of bezels or protruding other elements and less Nokia. So any phone as all glass as the front of these should do it.

Exactly, so OP shouldn't be getting angry at Nokia for this, as this is not a Nokia specific problem; just a very rare occurrence for smartphones in general that OP unfortunately had to experience. Also a good "random-fact" that we've learned.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Not rare at all. And it is still a design issue.

If it's not rare at all and happens on other phones, the OP should have even less reason to get angry at Nokia about. Googled online and found results for L920, HTC 8X, and some iphones. So I'd say it's OP's lack of awareness of common problem and mishandling (put the phone face up would make it a lot better).

I can understand the frustration, But there's really nothing one can do about it at the moment.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the model. It's still moving because something is causing the movement...not on its own.

Also I'm not picking on anyone. I have practical experience related to the subject.

I may be blunt, but I'm not picking on anyone. Huge difference between telling it like it is, and picking on them.

Gareth Winterman

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I too have the Nokia 1020.

Switched over to windows phone whilst i develop a couple of apps for it. And yes it does actual appear to fill off stuff all the time! So far not damage, but i this i have figured out the cause. The front screen seems to have little or no resistance! if i put my phone down face down even the most minor slant on my desk you can actually seem the phone talking a slow walk towards the edge of the desk!!!!

I firstly thought i was going mad, or the phone was vibrating off my desk. But i could feel any buzzing or wereing. Myself and my colleague had a big old laugh as we watched it. I think i will be putting my phone down other way around and getting a rubber cover for it from now on.

Probably doesn't help you other than you not feeling like your mad! But it does happen and i don't think it will save you $300 dollars.

Cheers Winty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb