The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-01-2014 05:44 AM
49 12
tools
    1. Check said surface with a level. 2. Perform exorcism.
    02-23-2014 09:41 AM
    3. Grow up and either replace or get insurance in future

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    02-23-2014 09:51 AM
    The level of fanboyism is strong in this thread...
    02-23-2014 10:00 AM
    Once I left the car in neutral and it rolled down the hill.
    can't help myself
    trandz likes this.
    02-23-2014 10:14 AM
    So being a network engineer now also makes you an expert on kinetic energy transfer? c'mon guy, this complaint is just plain nonsense and either an all out lie or some important details were left out. I've had my 1020 on all sorts of surfaces both on the back and on the front and it has never even moved by itself. It's far more likely it was hit by an arm, a pillow, a sheet or whatever, maybe the OP had some great rough entertainment on the bed next to the bedside table the phone was on and does not recall it who knows.

I've never heard of a 1020 moving off of a table by itself and I am in a position to know quiet a few people who have one.
    02-23-2014 10:25 AM
    My 920 moved by itself if you placed it on the screen all the time. I place my 1020 on its hump. People... This really happens. Wpcentral even included it in an article or may have dedicated an entire article to it. I can't remember which. You are all being a little insensitive.
    02-23-2014 10:27 PM
    My 920 moved by itself if you placed it on the screen all the time. I place my 1020 on its hump. People... This really happens. Wpcentral even included it in an article or may have dedicated an entire article to it. I can't remember which. You are all being a little insensitive.
    An object at rest.
    An object in motion.

Quite literally physics for grade school children. If it is moving there is something causing it to move.
    02-24-2014 12:04 AM
    An object at rest.
    An object in motion.

Quite literally physics for grade school children. If it is moving there is something causing it to move.
    It could be the vibration if people have vibrate enabled.
    02-24-2014 12:05 AM
    It could be the vibration if people have vibrate enabled.
    You won't find me disagreeing with that statement. That would be an object in motion. ;) :)
    Laura Knotek and dougplanet like this.
    02-24-2014 12:11 AM
    If you place your phone with the screen up, it doesn't slide like it does face down.

Also, if your phone is plugged in with the wire dangling from your table, it will drag it towards the edge and make it fall off.
    02-24-2014 12:28 AM
    You won't find me disagreeing with that statement. That would be an object in motion. ;) :)
    Pagers in the old days really had powerful vibrators that set them in motion!
    02-24-2014 12:29 AM
    An object at rest.
    An object in motion.

Two low friction flat surfaces will rest on almost no occasion. It's like there is empty space between the two. Try it. Use a flat porcelain toilet lid and a low friction glass screen with no screen protector. I just feel like everyone is picking on OP when it is plausible and just because you are familiar with your grade school physics doesn't mean you are a physicist or know exactly what forces have been or are maintained on this person's device.
    02-24-2014 12:31 PM
    Two low friction flat surfaces will rest on almost no occasion. It's like there is empty space between the two. Try it. Use a flat porcelain toilet lid and a low friction glass screen with no screen protector. I just feel like everyone is picking on OP when it is plausible and just because you are familiar with your grade school physics doesn't mean you are a physicist or know exactly what forces have been or are maintained on this person's device.
    There is a logical explanation for this. The radio antennas are receivers and transceivers. When they send or receive signal, they do so my absorbing or transmitting wavelengths. Those wavelengths are literally vibrations. We may not feel them, but the phone can vibrate because of it. When you put two low friction surfaces together, these vibrations can cause slow and subtle movements. There is nothing mysterious about that.
    troylytle likes this.
    02-24-2014 12:38 PM
    Poltergeists!
    Last edited by theefman; 02-24-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Iulian Popa likes this.
    02-24-2014 12:46 PM
    And I thought I was the only one with the moving 1020 issue! I feel for you, I once found my 1020 in the kitchen trying to kill itself with a boning knife, it ended up scratching its screen, but I saved it from certain death! I called Nokia, and they said it's not their fault for not taking care of my phone. Eventually I put a thick, steel chain through the laniard it came with and it worked! My Lumia 1020 is safe now! Hope this works for you too!
    02-24-2014 12:57 PM
    Even if it's possible for the phone to "move", we can't disregard the direction and distance it will require for the phone to go off on a surface. It would most likely require the phone to move at least half it's length or width (assuming weight generally evenly distributed, maybe less with 1020's hump) past the edge of the platform for it to "fall off". And then the direction, it has to be moving the phone toward the edge. So the chance of all these happening is definitely not high. I can hardly imagine (but welcome anyone to provide some good calculation to prove me wrong) that a phone placed nice and safe not too near the edge of a flat nightstand would move that much and cause it to fall. My own phone is actually always at the edge of my night stand, never moved.

Also, is it true that this does not happen on any other phones? Nokia is not the only company using this type of glass for the screen, if this could potentially happen with most kind of screens, then Nokia is not accountable for the fall at all. It would just be an interested new fact that we will learn about smartphone surfaces that we should take notice in the future.
    02-24-2014 12:57 PM
    Even if it's possible for the phone to "move", we can't disregard the direction and distance it will require for the phone to go off on a surface. It would most likely require the phone to move at least half it's length or width (assuming weight generally evenly distributed, maybe less with 1020's hump) past the edge of the platform for it to "fall off". And then the direction, it has to be moving the phone toward the edge. So the chance of all these happening is definitely not high. I can hardly imagine (but welcome anyone to provide some good calculation to prove me wrong) that a phone placed nice and safe not too near the edge of a flat nightstand would move that much and cause it to fall. My own phone is actually always at the edge of my night stand, never moved.

Also, is it true that this does not happen on any other phones? Nokia is not the only company using this type of glass for the screen, if this could potentially happen with most kind of screens, then Nokia is not accountable for the fall at all. It would just be an interested new fact that we will learn about smartphone surfaces that we should take notice in the future.
    I think it is more lack of bezels or protruding other elements and less Nokia. So any phone as all glass as the front of these should do it.
    02-24-2014 01:05 PM
    I think it is more lack of bezels or protruding other elements and less Nokia. So any phone as all glass as the front of these should do it.
    Exactly, so OP shouldn't be getting angry at Nokia for this, as this is not a Nokia specific problem; just a very rare occurrence for smartphones in general that OP unfortunately had to experience. Also a good "random-fact" that we've learned.
    02-24-2014 03:24 PM
    Not rare at all. And it is still a design issue.
    02-24-2014 03:58 PM
    Not rare at all. And it is still a design issue.
    If it's not rare at all and happens on other phones, the OP should have even less reason to get angry at Nokia about. Googled online and found results for L920, HTC 8X, and some iphones. So I'd say it's OP's lack of awareness of common problem and mishandling (put the phone face up would make it a lot better).

I can understand the frustration, But there's really nothing one can do about it at the moment.
    02-24-2014 04:27 PM
    I'm not sure how it could happen on an iPhone. Don't they all have a plastic or metal band around the screen?
    02-24-2014 06:42 PM
    Depends on the model. It's still moving because something is causing the movement...not on its own.

Also I'm not picking on anyone. I have practical experience related to the subject.

I may be blunt, but I'm not picking on anyone. Huge difference between telling it like it is, and picking on them.
    02-25-2014 12:01 AM
    I'm not sure how it could happen on an iPhone. Don't they all have a plastic or metal band around the screen?
    It was an iPhone 4. IPhone 4 DEFINITELY moves my itself!! - MacRumors Forums
    02-25-2014 12:27 PM
    I too have the Nokia 1020.

Switched over to windows phone whilst i develop a couple of apps for it. And yes it does actual appear to fill off stuff all the time! So far not damage, but i this i have figured out the cause. The front screen seems to have little or no resistance! if i put my phone down face down even the most minor slant on my desk you can actually seem the phone talking a slow walk towards the edge of the desk!!!!

I firstly thought i was going mad, or the phone was vibrating off my desk. But i could feel any buzzing or wereing. Myself and my colleague had a big old laugh as we watched it. I think i will be putting my phone down other way around and getting a rubber cover for it from now on.

Probably doesn't help you other than you not feeling like your mad! But it does happen and i don't think it will save you $300 dollars.

Cheers Winty
    04-01-2014 05:44 AM
49 12