Restore 520 settings and apps (and more) to new 1020

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone point me to the method used to restore the settings from a Lumia 520 to a new Lumia 1020?
I have Skydrive installed on both, and have the 520 setup to backup, but cannot see how to restore the settings and apps to the 1020.

I would like photos, messages, settings, etc., restored to the 1020. I have the 1020 fully updated to Lumia Black.

Thank you.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone.
When you first set up your Lumia 1020, you have to sign-in to the same Microsoft account you have on your 520, and then you'll be able to migrate your text backup and settings. If you add your account afterwards, you only get the text backup, not the settings.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone.
When you first set up your Lumia 1020, you have to sign-in to the same Microsoft account you have on your 520, and then you'll be able to migrate your text backup and settings. If you add your account afterwards, you only get the text backup, not the settings.

The latter seems to be what happened. I bought the 1020 2nd-hand (but new) except for the fact it had been turned on and used for calls for a couple days. There was no MS account setup on it. When I added my wife's MS account and per her SIM in from her 520, her messages came back (nice), but that was about it. She didn't have much, so it was 15-20 minutes of installing apps, etc.

Apple's iCloud backup is miraculous. Next time I get a new phone, we'll see if OneDrive backup is just as good. :)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Was pretty interesting getting a 520 (I use a 928). Signed in with MS account and messages all synced (continue to, actually), all the music I've ever bought or downloaded via Zune Pass is in the cloud, pics through OneDrive, etc.

Sounds like they are stepping it up some more with 8.1 though -- I would love something like the Apple solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)