Hey All,

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Lumia 1020 next month and I was wondering what peoples experience has been with it so far. I'm currently with an HTC Radar so it will be a huge upgrade from this for sure. Do you have a 1020 and what are some of the great things about it? How is it for performance? I know WP is generally very smooth so just curious if anyones had lag experience or anything.

Thanks for your time!
    02-26-2014 10:40 AM
    Hi Caltech13! The 1020 is a GREAT device, I tried it twice, but I don't own it, WP doesn't have lag whatsoever, I have a 720 (512MB RAM) and I haven't experienced any lag at all, and the camera on the 1020 is the best you will ever get on a smartphone.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-26-2014 10:46 AM
    I pulled the trigger and updated in December. Initially I was a little disappointed because the Black update had kind of screwed up my battery life and some of the image quality. I was instructed to do a hard reset and that seemed to fix my issues... So in short, I would say go for it! I personally went with the 1020 because I like to take photos. And I would highly suggest the camera grip, it is a must have accessory for this phone. The camera is awesome, and I have yet to experiment fully because of constant snow and cold where I live... Not to mention people always ask about it and drool over the image quality compared to their Galaxys or Iphones. And a must have app imo is 4BlendHDR. On the performance side, it is very solid... Not the fastest phone in the world, but then again, I didn't buy it for that! I have yet to have any type of issues. Remember though, the battery will drain significantly when taking photos that is why I suggest the grip. ... But if I am not using the phone much, I easily get a 24 hrs out of the phone and the grip..
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-26-2014 11:07 AM
    I pulled the trigger and updated in December. Initially I was a little disappointed because the Black update had kind of screwed up my battery life and some of the image quality. I was instructed to do a hard reset and that seemed to fix my issues... So in short, I would say go for it! I personally went with the 1020 because I like to take photos. And I would highly suggest the camera grip, it is a must have accessory for this phone. The camera is awesome, and I have yet to experiment fully because of constant snow and cold where I live... Not to mention people always ask about it and drool over the image quality compared to their Galaxys or Iphones. And a must have app imo is 4BlendHDR. On the performance side, it is very solid... Not the fastest phone in the world, but then again, I didn't buy it for that! I have yet to have any type of issues. Remember though, the battery will drain significantly when taking photos that is why I suggest the grip. ... But if I am not using the phone much, I easily get a 24 hrs out of the phone and the grip..
    So I assume you're on LTE, what kind of battery life do you get when you don't have the camera grip on? Does it get you through a day quite easily when a fair amount of use?
    02-26-2014 12:01 PM
    Yes.... The key is to restrict your background tasks to the necessary.... I only allow Insider( battery app) , facebook, weather, and calendar to run in the background..... I also keep things like bluetooth turned off unless I am using them.... I also to turn off lte because I am usually running wifi.... My day with my phone consist of checking facebook sporadically ,a few web pages for news and maybe a game or two.. I am not a heavy user, more moderate... and I can easily make it through the day on the phone battery alone... I have went upwards to almost 48 hrs on the phone (hardly touched it) and the grip..on the flip side I have went 12 - 14 hrs..... It just depends on the apps you run in the background, and how much you use certain features... I myself dont use the Glance feature or auto upload to the cloud or double tap to wake up.... these features kill battery life....I would say my average life is 15 hrs... The battery life is actually the weak point of the phone because of the power the camera requires.... But that being said , I love this phone! If you like taking pics you wont be disappointed....but if you require speed and battery there are better options
    02-26-2014 12:48 PM
    Ok perfect. Sounds like I should be okay. I haven't used the camera for entertainment often as the radar only has a 5 MP camera and it's usually not the greatest quality -- that being said, I have a feeling I will be more tempted to take pictures if I had such a camera as the one on the 1020. My wife has the S3 and she's already said if I get the 1020 she'll be using it for pictures all the time. I'm trying to get her to switch to WP but for some reason she isn't a huge fan of the tiles. She knows how to use them and can navigate my phone quite well but yeah, "I don't like those boxes!" We'll see, after WP8.1 she might change her mind towards it a bit.

As for secondary options, I'm switching to TELUS to be able to get a lumia and they only carry the 1020 for flagship windows phones, so there aren't a whole lot of options. That being said, I'm pretty positive after what you've said, I'm going to be very happy with the 1020. So thanks micky!
    02-26-2014 01:16 PM
    Your are welcome....Hope all goes well
    BTW... click on the forums tab on main page and then find the 1020 tab.... You will get all questions answered there as well as see some amazing pics
    02-26-2014 01:20 PM
    I've had a 1020 for just about 2 weeks. It is my first Windows phone. I switched over from Android for several reasons. I was getting bored with Android and like what I read about the gradual convergence of Win RT and WP. I have a Surface and a Win8 desktop and really enjoy the way they synchronize. The first 1020 I got was defective and drove me crazy for a couple of days until I exchanged it for another. But I did learn all the various methods for factory resets whether I wanted to or not! Since the exchange he new phone works like a champ, and I have enjoyed using it a great deal. So I think you certainly won't be sorry if you make the switch.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-26-2014 08:15 PM
    I've had a Lumia 900, 920, and now the 1020. I got it for the camera. Have not been dissapointed. I'm a huge supporter of Windows Phone as an OS and this phone runs smooth as butter. No lag at all. I used to go through high end Android devices every 3 months because I worked in wireless for a stint. All of them eventually suffer from lag after a while, no matter how many apps you have and whether or not they are installed on the SD card or the phone. That OS just bogs itself down. I've never had as smooth of an experience as I have with this device.

Also, I have an app for everything I need. Not missing anything. Besides, so much functionality is built into the OS (a la HTC Sense and others) that if you truly need an app to do everything, you probably need to be on an iPhone. That's just my .02 on that matter.

I think you'll be very happy with this device. I even paid full price for mine and I inserted a sim for AIO Wireless and am as happy as can be.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-27-2014 06:43 AM
    I didnt upgrade but I sold my G2 for 330$ and bought it outright. Pretty much paying the original upgrade price of 300$ and get to save my upgrade. I love it. Simply put

Granted some apps aren't there, but everything I use is there. Plus Nokia is soooo behind their phones its great. They constantly release new apps exclusive to Lumia's, always update them along with core features like glance get regular updates. 8.1 is around the corner which will be absolutely amazing.

WP to me is definitely the best looking OS out of all of them by a mile. I had the 1520 but returned it due to the size, and even though the 1520 on a paper has superior specs in every regard besides the camera, you do NOT notice it at ALL. Trust me, I used android for years. If I had an android with the 1020's specs it would be thrown out the window for lagging doing anything. The performance is identical to the higher spec'd 1520. Everything runs smooth as butter and I do not look into getting back into Android. Especially with the lackluster phones like the GS5 coming out.

Bring on an Icon variant to AT&T with the 1520 camera/ design!
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-27-2014 09:28 AM
    I have a lumia 1020 that I'm waiting to unlock for use on T-mobile so in the meanwhile I'm using a 521 and an iPhone 4s. I really love the 521 the size and weight are amazing after using a 920 and a 1020 for the last year or so and it super smooth and easy to handle and use. I picked up the 1020 today after a couple of days and to my surprise I realized how much I missed it. The photos on it are really amazing of course, but its things like the gorgeous screen and the extra GB of Ram that seem to make a difference in web browsing and moving about the device. I had the option to get an iPhone 5s this weekend but simply couldn't do it, I am too spoiled by certain things on WP but more than anything the screen size and excellent camera combination of the 1020 is still unbeaten. I'm really hoping for a 1020 camera in a Snapdragon 805 phone with a waterproof body next or maybe a large screen iPhone 6 but otherwise the 1020 is still the only device I can imagine using.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-27-2014 11:35 AM
    I've had the 1020 for a couple of months now switching from an iPhone and I don't miss it at all. The OS is very smooth and quite fast. I'm not a huge photography kind of person, but when I do take pictures they come out really great.

I haven't experienced any lag. This is a very solid phone.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    02-27-2014 12:44 PM
    Can anyone comment on the shutter speed? I have an 810 and it's usually pretty good in terms of capturing pictures of my 1 year old but I'm thinking of getting an unlocked 1020 but I can't have a slow shutter.
    03-01-2014 11:47 PM
    You have the option to change your shutter speed to your liking with the 1020
    03-01-2014 11:54 PM
    Thanks. That's good to know. It drives me crazy when my son does something and all we have is my wife's Nexus 4.
    03-02-2014 10:37 AM
    Another question I should ask that I've been curious about, does the camera bump and the fact the phone can't sit flat on a surface bother anyone? I'm thinking I would be getting the cover that allows wireless charging anyway, so does that allow it to sit flat?
    03-03-2014 09:19 AM
    I've been going back and forth between the Icon, 1520, and the 1020. I am losing my company phone in a couple weeks and need to decide. I've played with the 1520 and 1020 at the AT&T store and really like the Windows environment for the phone. I've been using a Blackberry for the last 3 years. I do like the fact that you can add a memory card to the 1520 and the screen is outstanding. I'm going to see if I can get to the Verizon store to look at the Icon if it would just stop snowing here. I am leaning towards the 1020 because of the camera and the ability to add the camera handle onto it. Anybody heard if Nokia is planning on updating the 1020 anytime soon? Rumors on the internet anywhere?
    03-03-2014 11:42 AM
    I've been going back and forth between the Icon, 1520, and the 1020. I am losing my company phone in a couple weeks and need to decide. I've played with the 1520 and 1020 at the AT&T store and really like the Windows environment for the phone. I've been using a Blackberry for the last 3 years. I do like the fact that you can add a memory card to the 1520 and the screen is outstanding. I'm going to see if I can get to the Verizon store to look at the Icon if it would just stop snowing here. I am leaning towards the 1020 because of the camera and the ability to add the camera handle onto it. Anybody heard if Nokia is planning on updating the 1020 anytime soon? Rumors on the internet anywhere?
    We have only heard of 3 names so far, but only one has its specs announced, and that's the 630, so no idea what the other two phones might be. Back to your original topic though, pick up the 1020, and look around on the forums to find any day-one problems you may have to look for (if you're in the store, why waste gas to get back). New phones are coming out in July, so way past the three weeks you have set, sadly.
    03-03-2014 11:49 AM
    I have updated my wife's phone from the (AT&T) Lumia 900 to the Lumia 1020. My only issue is moving all her photos and messages from the 900 to the 1020. Everthing I read says to use the "Transfer my data" app, but the 900 will not except this.

Are there other apps, or am I stuck with the sync system, via the PC?

Thanks
    03-03-2014 02:09 PM
    Another question I should ask that I've been curious about, does the camera bump and the fact the phone can't sit flat on a surface bother anyone? I'm thinking I would be getting the cover that allows wireless charging anyway, so does that allow it to sit flat?
    Yes, a slight push and the phone will go round and round. Is better to get a phone casing that allows the phone to sit flat on a surface.
    Caltech13 likes this.
    03-04-2014 12:10 AM