Lumia 1020 still worth it?

fitcious

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been wanting a lumia 1020 since it came out...but due to ATT exclusivity I didn't get one since I am on Tmobile.

My question is, is this phone still worth it? I see them go for like $320. Given that:

1. If I use it with tmo I will be on LTE and Edge in non refarmed are
2. I hear ppl say taking pics are extremely slow
3. There might be some new lumia announcements in the coming months for Tmobile with crazy mega pixels too?

With all that, is it still worth it? A part of me want to use this as a stand alone camera....but not sure yet. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was on T-Mobile also wanted a 1020. Saw aio wireless was on AT&T network, and that they worked even with locked AT&T phones. So I got a 1020 and switched to aio. 1020 is awesome, well worth it. Not anywhere near as slow as I was expecting from what I heard. Love it.
Aio has also proven to be much better than T-Mobile in my area. So happy all around.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been wanting a lumia 1020 since it came out...but due to ATT exclusivity I didn't get one since I am on Tmobile.

My question is, is this phone still worth it? I see them go for like $320. Given that:

1. If I use it with tmo I will be on LTE and Edge in non refarmed are
2. I hear ppl say taking pics are extremely slow
3. There might be some new lumia announcements in the coming months for Tmobile with crazy mega pixels too?

With all that, is it still worth it? A part of me want to use this as a stand alone camera....but not sure yet. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I personally think the 1020 is still worth it. Are you sure that you would be able to get LTE on T-Mobile though? Does band 4 cover the same range that T-Mo has? Just curious. Picture taking is slower than on say a Lumia 925 (which is also totally awesome), or Lumia 1520, but that is due to the sampling the 1020 does. It takes two images from each picture it takes, one at full resolution, and then one at 5MP which you can share/send, etc.

I am not hopeful that T-Mobile will be on the leading edge of any super flagship Lumia device. AT&T has, for better or worse, maintained a strong relationship with Nokia and I see no reason why they would yield any position to T-Mo in that regard. Of course, we'll probably learn more at //Build/ so never say never...

So, should you get the 1020? If you're okay with whatever network performance you get out of it, go for it. If not, I totally love my Lumia 925 too, and while it isn't packing 41MP goodness, the 8.7MP sensor on that slim beauty is outstanding.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
There an option to just take and save 5mp photos which would speed up the saving of the file but shot to shot still leaves a lot to be desired. If you're looking to snap lots of pic one after another in a short period of time, this phone isn't good for it but it's low light performance it's great.

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I've got one and it's a mixed bag. Picture quality - even the full 34MP JPG - seems broadly indistinguishable from those taken by my iPad. Might be something set up wrong in Nokia Camera Beta though.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I still think its the best overall phone out to be honest , it does everything other phones do and also packs xenon flash for taking great pics in dim light when there is movement ie no more blurred people shots , the battery could be a bit better but if mine broke today I would buy another straight away as it is still a top phone and the best for my needs that is available at the minute

I think the shot to shot time is exaggerated myself as I guess I take pictures different , I frame my shot then take my picture , I don't need a burst mode firing off 10 pics a second , if my subject is moving , like children etc I use xenon flash to freeze the moment , I understand some people might need burst mode for action shots but I think most peoples useage cases like animals and children could easily be solved by using the xenon flash and not firing off 20 shots in two seconds hoping one isn't blurred ;-)

yeah go for it mate , its a great phone ;-)

also to the user who cant notice the difference between the ipad and 1020 check out the photos thread at the top of the 1020 forum ;-) that shows what can be done with the 1020 ;-)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I was on T-Mobile also wanted a 1020. Saw aio wireless was on AT&T network, and that they worked even with locked AT&T phones. So I got a 1020 and switched to aio. 1020 is awesome, well worth it. Not anywhere near as slow as I was expecting from what I heard. Love it.
Aio has also proven to be much better than T-Mobile in my area. So happy all around.

I bought my 1020 outright and I'm using an AIO sim. LTE speeds, 5 GB of data all for $60 after tax and did you realize that you get to use the wireless hotspot as well? Straight Talk doesn't allow that. Yeah, this phone is still worth it in my opinion.

To the OP, you can get around some of the issues with shot to shot time if you get creative and work with the features of the camera. I've found several ways to benefit from the way it takes pictures to work to my advantange. You just need to make it work for you.

Jorlon

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is always sold out at my ATT store, both my Fiance and mother bought a 1020 and they love it. The Aio way sounds really good for $60 can't beat that.

augie7107

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 1020 at the Microsoft store after six years on Android devices and I'm quite happy with it. Good call quality, quick LTE speeds, excellent pictures and solid build quality are strengths.

fitcious

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the replies everyone. the price was an average price i've seen on ebay and craigslist.

buxz777 - your screen name looks familiar...were you ever on the N8 forums?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the replies everyone. the price was an average price i've seen on ebay and craigslist.

buxz777 - your screen name looks familiar...were you ever on the N8 forums?

hello mate I recognised yours as well ;-) yep I was on nokia users in the n8 forums quite a bit and on daily mobile as well ;-) how you keeping all good yeah? funny how nokia brings us all together on the web ey ;-) they do say its a small world

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got one and it's a mixed bag. Picture quality - even the full 34MP JPG - seems broadly indistinguishable from those taken by my iPad. Might be something set up wrong in Nokia Camera Beta though.
If i owned Eric Clapton's guitar, and i don't, it would sound like crap when i played it because i suck at playing guitar. The 1020 is similar. One still has to know how to take good pictures to allow the 1020 to bloom to it's full potential.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The camera is good, no doubt - but it is slow , so I would really consider if pictures is so important ? and go for a faster quad core wp8 or eg sony Ericsson z2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb