05-13-2014 04:35 AM
39 12
tools
    Hi guys, I've been wanting a lumia 1020 since it came out...but due to ATT exclusivity I didn't get one since I am on Tmobile.

My question is, is this phone still worth it? I see them go for like $320. Given that:

1. If I use it with tmo I will be on LTE and Edge in non refarmed are
    2. I hear ppl say taking pics are extremely slow
    3. There might be some new lumia announcements in the coming months for Tmobile with crazy mega pixels too?

With all that, is it still worth it? A part of me want to use this as a stand alone camera....but not sure yet. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    03-03-2014 11:32 PM
    I don't see how Lumia 1020 will depreciate fast, not that it won't. Definitely worth the bucks still.
    03-03-2014 11:57 PM
    I was on T-Mobile also wanted a 1020. Saw aio wireless was on AT&T network, and that they worked even with locked AT&T phones. So I got a 1020 and switched to aio. 1020 is awesome, well worth it. Not anywhere near as slow as I was expecting from what I heard. Love it.
    Aio has also proven to be much better than T-Mobile in my area. So happy all around.
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
    03-04-2014 12:22 AM
    Hi guys, I've been wanting a lumia 1020 since it came out...but due to ATT exclusivity I didn't get one since I am on Tmobile.

My question is, is this phone still worth it? I see them go for like $320. Given that:

1. If I use it with tmo I will be on LTE and Edge in non refarmed are
    2. I hear ppl say taking pics are extremely slow
    3. There might be some new lumia announcements in the coming months for Tmobile with crazy mega pixels too?

With all that, is it still worth it? A part of me want to use this as a stand alone camera....but not sure yet. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I personally think the 1020 is still worth it. Are you sure that you would be able to get LTE on T-Mobile though? Does band 4 cover the same range that T-Mo has? Just curious. Picture taking is slower than on say a Lumia 925 (which is also totally awesome), or Lumia 1520, but that is due to the sampling the 1020 does. It takes two images from each picture it takes, one at full resolution, and then one at 5MP which you can share/send, etc.

I am not hopeful that T-Mobile will be on the leading edge of any super flagship Lumia device. AT&T has, for better or worse, maintained a strong relationship with Nokia and I see no reason why they would yield any position to T-Mo in that regard. Of course, we'll probably learn more at //Build/ so never say never...

So, should you get the 1020? If you're okay with whatever network performance you get out of it, go for it. If not, I totally love my Lumia 925 too, and while it isn't packing 41MP goodness, the 8.7MP sensor on that slim beauty is outstanding.
    03-04-2014 12:23 AM
    There an option to just take and save 5mp photos which would speed up the saving of the file but shot to shot still leaves a lot to be desired. If you're looking to snap lots of pic one after another in a short period of time, this phone isn't good for it but it's low light performance it's great.
    03-04-2014 12:54 AM
    I love mine and it is the best camera phone on the market.
    03-04-2014 11:54 PM
    I've got one and it's a mixed bag. Picture quality - even the full 34MP JPG - seems broadly indistinguishable from those taken by my iPad. Might be something set up wrong in Nokia Camera Beta though.
    03-05-2014 02:53 AM
    I still think its the best overall phone out to be honest , it does everything other phones do and also packs xenon flash for taking great pics in dim light when there is movement ie no more blurred people shots , the battery could be a bit better but if mine broke today I would buy another straight away as it is still a top phone and the best for my needs that is available at the minute

I think the shot to shot time is exaggerated myself as I guess I take pictures different , I frame my shot then take my picture , I don't need a burst mode firing off 10 pics a second , if my subject is moving , like children etc I use xenon flash to freeze the moment , I understand some people might need burst mode for action shots but I think most peoples useage cases like animals and children could easily be solved by using the xenon flash and not firing off 20 shots in two seconds hoping one isn't blurred ;-)

yeah go for it mate , its a great phone ;-)

also to the user who cant notice the difference between the ipad and 1020 check out the photos thread at the top of the 1020 forum ;-) that shows what can be done with the 1020 ;-)
    03-05-2014 04:37 AM
    At the moment, Amazon is selling the 1020 for $49.00 with 2 yr AT&T contract.

Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 1020, Yellow 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories

I love my 1020. It's a great phone and it takes some damn good pictures.
    03-05-2014 04:44 AM
    I was on T-Mobile also wanted a 1020. Saw aio wireless was on AT&T network, and that they worked even with locked AT&T phones. So I got a 1020 and switched to aio. 1020 is awesome, well worth it. Not anywhere near as slow as I was expecting from what I heard. Love it.
    Aio has also proven to be much better than T-Mobile in my area. So happy all around.
    I bought my 1020 outright and I'm using an AIO sim. LTE speeds, 5 GB of data all for $60 after tax and did you realize that you get to use the wireless hotspot as well? Straight Talk doesn't allow that. Yeah, this phone is still worth it in my opinion.

To the OP, you can get around some of the issues with shot to shot time if you get creative and work with the features of the camera. I've found several ways to benefit from the way it takes pictures to work to my advantange. You just need to make it work for you.
    03-05-2014 06:27 AM
    The 1020 is always sold out at my ATT store, both my Fiance and mother bought a 1020 and they love it. The Aio way sounds really good for $60 can't beat that.
    03-05-2014 08:53 PM
    I just bought a 1020 at the Microsoft store after six years on Android devices and I'm quite happy with it. Good call quality, quick LTE speeds, excellent pictures and solid build quality are strengths.
    03-05-2014 09:14 PM
    Unlocked 1020 for $320? Where can I get one?
    03-05-2014 10:09 PM
    Still worth it for the camera alone.

Make sure the $320 deal is legit though ;-)
    03-05-2014 10:13 PM
    thanks for the replies everyone. the price was an average price i've seen on ebay and craigslist.

buxz777 - your screen name looks familiar...were you ever on the N8 forums?
    03-06-2014 10:12 AM
    thanks for the replies everyone. the price was an average price i've seen on ebay and craigslist.

buxz777 - your screen name looks familiar...were you ever on the N8 forums?
    hello mate I recognised yours as well ;-) yep I was on nokia users in the n8 forums quite a bit and on daily mobile as well ;-) how you keeping all good yeah? funny how nokia brings us all together on the web ey ;-) they do say its a small world
    fitcious likes this.
    03-06-2014 11:29 AM
    $320 for that camera? I'd say it's definitely still worth it!
    03-06-2014 11:49 AM
    I've got one and it's a mixed bag. Picture quality - even the full 34MP JPG - seems broadly indistinguishable from those taken by my iPad. Might be something set up wrong in Nokia Camera Beta though.
    If i owned Eric Clapton's guitar, and i don't, it would sound like crap when i played it because i suck at playing guitar. The 1020 is similar. One still has to know how to take good pictures to allow the 1020 to bloom to it's full potential.
    Gawain likes this.
    03-06-2014 12:41 PM
    The camera is good, no doubt - but it is slow , so I would really consider if pictures is so important ? and go for a faster quad core wp8 or eg sony Ericsson z2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-06-2014 11:43 PM
    Snap 805 or better is needed.

Either that, or the camera app needs further optimization..
    03-07-2014 01:23 AM
    I recently became a father (yay!) and I feel like I need to upgrade my phone to be able to take better pictures of my son... The 1520 is WAY too big so that's out of the question. That leaves the 1020. But the thing is I keep reading it's a slow phone by today's standards, is it true? Or is the lack of speed exaggerated?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    03-07-2014 01:18 PM
    I recently became a father (yay!) and I feel like I need to upgrade my phone to be able to take better pictures of my son... The 1520 is WAY too big so that's out of the question. That leaves the 1020. But the thing is I keep reading it's a slow phone by today's standards, is it true? Or is the lack of speed exaggerated?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    there is no lag when you press the shutter , its the saving the picture that takes the time for the following reasons

a) it takes a 34mp image and a 5mp image
    b) the 5mp image has oversampling in place which is done after the picture is taken
    c) it saves both pictures

now as you can see it is doing a lot of stuff (probably more then above) hence the slow shot to shot time , I repeat there is no lag when you press the shutter , it is just the saving the picture that takes a bit longer then normal as there is more going on then normal with say the iPhone or sgs range of phones and many more pixels and calculations being pushed and calculated behind the scenes ........ you can make the phone just save a 5mp image in the settings and this will make the shot to shot time faster other users say but I am happy using it to capture a 5mp image and either a 38mp image or raw image to go with the 5mp image ;-)

I personally think the shot time thing is exaggerated and the 1020 is perfect for capturing ''keep forever'' photos rather then lower grade camera phones , for me xenon flash is the key , children move and xenon flash freezes time , surely that's a perfect match? the only reason people use burst mode on other phones is because there phone takes blurry pics when the subject moves , so they hold the shutter down and hope that 1 in 50 shots wont be blurred , you don't have to do this on the 1020 , you just switch xenon on to always and shoot , the subject will be frozen in time , no blur , no pixilation , minimum noise and a photo that's worth keeping to look back on in 10 years time ;-)

everyone is different and I can understand why people use burst mode to get a decent shot of moving subjects but with xenon flash you can freeze time and this is why I think the burst mode / shot to shot time thing is exaggerated ;-)

I have been saying the same thing in other forums for a while now (since the 1020 came out) and was glad to see steve from aas say the same thing as me in this article

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...-but_for_b.php

scroll down the page and there is a pic of child and he beasically says the same thing as me about xenon flash ;-)
    anadi1984 and DepletedQuark like this.
    03-07-2014 01:36 PM
    Been wondering how well 1020 will age, as the 2 year support from Ms will be up soon? On Android those updates were a major thing in keeping a device "alive". Wonder how it is on wp?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    03-09-2014 12:29 AM
    Been wondering how well 1020 will age, as the 2 year support from Ms will be up soon? On Android those updates were a major thing in keeping a device "alive". Wonder how it is on wp?

it comes with a 2 year warranty, 36 months of update support from Microsoft and is built on same hardware base as 925 , 920 , 820 etc so I am sure the updates will keep running for a while , the phone has only been out since sept so it is only about 6 months old at present mate with another 30 months of update support from Microsoft ;-)
    Truman82 likes this.
    03-09-2014 07:08 AM
    Aye, been wondering should I buy it after the price goes down (at 8.1 devices release I think). Saw a picture comparison here between 1020,925 and iPhone 5s. To my eye the quality wasn't that better on 1020? Ofc they were taken on auto... But should one buy the device if he takes mostly pictures on auto?

03-09-2014 07:37 AM
39 12