1020 won't shut down

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
My poor wife. Leaving in less than a week on a trip to the UK from the US and her phone is really acting up.
Battery life is worse than pathetic. Just a few calls a day, and what I consider average app use (music usually plugged in charging), and with the camera grip (with aux battery) and tonight it started flashing "Battery critically low". Fully charges it overnight, every night. With the camera grip you'd think it'd last longer but it's getting worse. No background apps and I've tweaked the settings to minimal power usage (per a site I found on which things to turn off, etc.). By late morning it's usually close to 60% battery and keeps going down.

To make matters worse, now, we can't shut down the phone. When we try, it says Goodbye, blanks out, and turns right back on and boots up again. Over and over. We can't turn it off.

I'm thinking a phone reset might be in order. If so, I'm hoping things would get restored from the backups? We have apps+settings, text messages, and photos set to "Backup On". Unsure what the difference is between a hard reset via button presses, and doing a RESET PHONE from the settings menu?

Ideas? With little to no phone (talk) use, shouldn't the 1020 last a day or two taking pictures and using apps and wifi?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You can't shut it down while it is in the Camera grip and the Camera grip is powering the phone. To turn off the camera grip, press and hold the button until the lights flash a few times then go out. You should then be able to shut the phone down.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried a soft reset? Hold power and volume down until it reboots.
We did that two days ago because her phone had frozen up during the night. Glance screen frozen, nothing would respond, including power button would not turn off. Not sure what the "magic reset combo" was, I lucked into volume down/power combo and it soft reset. Another site (below) says that key combo causes the phone to reset and data and apps to be lost. But I did not experience any loss.

Is it on the charger when you're trying to shut it off? It will automatically turn on while it is being charged.
It was. That was it. Apparently, as you stated, the phone turns on when charging.

You can't shut it down while it is in the Camera grip and the Camera grip is powering the phone. To turn off the camera grip, press and hold the button until the lights flash a few times then go out. You should then be able to shut the phone down.

We did have the camera out of the grip, but as stated above, we had it plugged in, so that was the problem.

Can anyone explain the different reset options from this site?
The first three all seem to reset the phone, and say they delete data, so what is the difference? The first one, I did the other night when it was frozen, but did not have any data loss. The second one is similar to the first but slightly different procedure, but says it's destructive to apps and data. The third is yet another process, and also deletes your data. Apart from the process, what is the difference between these three reset methods?

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Soft reset will not affect any of your data, apps or settings... A hard reset takes the phone back to its original state like it was the day you bought it and turned it on. Always do a backup before a hard reset...After the hard reset, you will be asked if you would like to restore your old settings. This will only backup your apps and settings....Not your music, photos or start screen... I would back your media files up on pc....As for all the different ways to reset the 1020... Idont know... I only use the soft reset (power and volume down keys) and the hard reset tab located in your settings

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Soft reset will not affect any of your data, apps or settings... A hard reset takes the phone back to its original state like it was the day you bought it and turned it on. Always do a backup before a hard reset...After the hard reset, you will be asked if you would like to restore your old settings. This will only backup your apps and settings....Not your music, photos or start screen... I would back your media files up on pc....As for all the different ways to reset the 1020... Idont know... I only use the soft reset (power and volume down keys) and the hard reset tab located in your settings

Thanks. When you say to make sure to have a backup, you mean having the backup options turned on in settings? Is there a "backup to my PC" option like in iTunes or is everything via cloud?
I put a battery performance app on her phone to see what the discharge rate is. Is there anything (like on Android) for seeing EXACTLY what is consuming how much battery?
Thanks again.

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately the option or app to see what is using your battery does not exist...at least not yet, I have heard rumors that could come with next update.
What I do , is go into the option to back up and simply click it... This will save all your apps, your current settings, txt messages... It will not back up the way your home screen is configured, unfortunately, you will have to do that all over again .... It will not save your photos or music saved to the phone, I was told it would , but the first time I did it , it did not work... So the next time I had to do a hard reset, I simply created 2 folders on my pc (MUSIC & PHOTOS) ..plugged in my phone and simply "dragged & dropped" those file folders from my phone into the corresponding ones on my pc... And once the hard reset was performed I plugged the phone back in and did the opposite (drag & drop from pc to corresponding folders on phone).... It is annoying and time consuming, but works

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12