I have to say I was not a big fan of the WP OS. I purchased a Note 3 and enjoy the phone more in almost every way except the photos/videos that it takes.

Is there anyone else that thinks buying a used 1020 around 300-350 is a better deal than buying a camera around that price range? I have a hard time believing a an entry level DSLR or compact camera can do better than the Lumia. I could just swap between the note and the 1020 depending on what I'm doing that day and if I need to take photos.

If you guys think buying a dedicated camera is the better choice please let me know. Thanks!
    03-08-2014 11:32 AM
    Dedicated camera for the quality, 1020 for everything else and the kitchen sink.

What you'd like about the 1020 is really how quick you can crop (and by extension, how easy it is to cheat a panorama).
    03-08-2014 11:39 AM
    Wait, you're buying it for ~$300?

Why not buy the 1020, and switch phones whenever you like?

The 1020 can fit in your pocket, and Nokia Camera provides a lot of control, after all.
    03-08-2014 11:40 AM
    Lumia took great photos when I did own it. This was before the black update and the .dng/raw support.

In reality, how much has that helped the image quality?

Wait, you're buying it for ~$300?

Why not buy the 1020, and switch phones whenever you like?

The 1020 can fit in your pocket, and Nokia Camera provides a lot of control, after all.
    Yes, that was the plan. I'm just asking if it would be wiser to do that or buy a dedicated camera.
    03-08-2014 11:41 AM
    Lumia took great photos when I did own it. This was before the black update and the .dng/raw support.

In reality, how much has that helped the image quality?

Yes, that was the plan. I'm just asking if it would be wiser to do that or buy a dedicated camera.
    Black has indeed helped in taking pictures that are more natural. RAW support takes that one step further.

If all you're going to do is take pictures (and not any sort of post-processing on the go), then camera it is, though you'd have trouble stuffing two things in your pockets.

Otherwise, 1020 is the way to go. It's much easier to sync photos to PC with it.
    03-08-2014 12:03 PM
    I personally love my 1020. From the camera, to the battery life, to the OS, it's wonderful. But you clearly don't feel the same.

So focusing on the camera: this is hands down the best smartphone camera out there, no if's, and's, or ****'s. This is be expected, after all, with such advanced optics and a massive sensor.

The 1020's quality actually beats out most point and shoots, and is up there even with some low end DSLRs. So with that in mind: I'd recommend getting a 1020 just to use as a camera (especially if you can get it for the $300-ish you claim).

Seriously, only DSLRs can really top this thing. And you can't easily carry a DSLR in your pocket. Nor can you get decent on-board editing, easy sharing on the go, lossless rezoom, etc, etc.

For the money, you really can't beat a 1020 when it comes to camera quality, not to mention all the other perks it serves as a phone in general. Go for it my friend. If you're seeking this device as a camera only: you won't be disappointed.
    03-08-2014 12:25 PM
    I personally love my 1020. From the camera, to the battery life, to the OS, it's wonderful. But you clearly don't feel the same.
    It's not so much that I don't feel the same, it's just that Windows OS left a lot to be desired when used as a daily driver. I think if I use it as a secondary phone or just for camera functions it will be a great unit. I really liked it when I had it, but sold it because I didn't think I'd use it anymore. I loved all the photos I took with it and after leaving it for 4 or 5 months, you start to really miss the quality of video and photos it took.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    03-08-2014 12:41 PM
    It's not so much that I don't feel the same, it's just that Windows OS left a lot to be desired when used as a daily driver. I think if I use it as a secondary phone or just for camera functions it will be a great unit. I really liked it when I had it, but sold it because I didn't think I'd use it anymore. I loved all the photos I took with it and after leaving it for 4 or 5 months, you start to really miss the quality of video and photos it took.
    Ahh, I see. Yes, many people have liked Windows Phone, but left due to some missing details. Thankfully, Windows Phone 8.1 should address nearly all those complaints, and then some.

Anyways, the 1020 would be perfect for when you need to take some great photos, without carrying around a second device (on that particular day).
    03-08-2014 01:17 PM
    My old 920 beat out most point and shoots besides the really high end cameras. I bought a used 1020 for $350 and love it. No way I'd ever buy a dedicated camera now.

when I use my 1020 for heavy camera use the battery gets drained extremely fast, even with the optional grip but nothing an external battery pack can't fix.
    03-08-2014 02:17 PM
    My old 920 beat out most point and shoots besides the really high end cameras. I bought a used 1020 for $350 and love it. No way I'd ever buy a dedicated camera now.

when I use my 1020 for heavy camera use the battery gets drained extremely fast, even with the optional grip but nothing an external battery pack can't fix.
    I swear by my 1020 and the photos it takes. Sure, my Sony DSLR takes better photos, but only by a small margin: and all the advantages of my 1020 easily outweigh the ever-so-slight lower quality.

Love it. Also, I don't noticed the heavy drain you're talking about... So long as I keep the screen off between shots (I.E: take a few photos, move to next spot, then turn screen back on), battery still is nearly immortal.
    03-12-2014 06:54 PM
    For me, the lumia 1020 shines because in all of my waking hours, I have a really good camera with me in an easy-to-carry format. I switched from Iphone and I love the OS and the apps I have do everything I want in a smart-phone. It is really awesome for capturing good photos for social media, and for those who travel a lot.

If you were using it as a secondary phone, then you would be missing the very best feature, which is having a pretty good camera ALWAYS with you. In that case, you may as well have a DSLR, which will have f-stop control and less noise at high ISO, and will be much more convenient to attach filters and different lenses.
    03-12-2014 08:53 PM
    For me, the lumia 1020 shines because in all of my waking hours, I have a really good camera with me in an easy-to-carry format. I switched from Iphone and I love the OS and the apps I have do everything I want in a smart-phone. It is really awesome for capturing good photos for social media, and for those who travel a lot.

If you were using it as a secondary phone, then you would be missing the very best feature, which is having a pretty good camera ALWAYS with you. In that case, you may as well have a DSLR, which will have f-stop control and less noise at high ISO, and will be much more convenient to attach filters and different lenses.
    I don't know about going /THAT/ far... Yes, only using it as a secondary device does slightly moot its slim form-factor, but only ever-so-slightly.

It's still a lot cheaper than similar quality cameras, not to mention how easily one can do some light editing and share the photos they've captured. And of course: Nokia's rezoom. Sure, you can use photo editing software to over sample your photos manually, but the 1020 makes it so easy, doesn't require you to think about it, and still produces great quality.

Compare that to fumbling with lenses, a bulky camera, having to import photos before doing ANYTHING with them; not to mention the other phone-based advantages the 1020 provides.

To be honest, it has become my opinion that, unless you have a carrier where you need the absolute, most high quality photos out there (I.E: National Geographic), and/or photo quality REALLY matters to you... The 1020 really goes above-and-beyond expectations. (and I'm pretty sure I've got quite a few photos from mine that are Nat Geo worhty).

So tl;dt: yes, he does miss out on some of the I-always-have-a-pro-camera-with-me advantage, it's still such a great camera that just being able to keep it in a backpack or something is substantially more than ideal.
    03-12-2014 09:08 PM
    It depends on how you use the camera.
    Just family pics, or diehard photography ( far and fast objects,think of jetplanes, racingcars or animals )
    Remember its just a Phone with a camera to shoot pictures.
    It takes pictures, not photo's.
    When i look at it as a phone with a camera it takes great pictures.
    But if i look at it as a camera, then sorry....
    Its to slow, no optic zoom, its just to limited for a profesional camera.

For 300,- you can buy fine cameras, and with some luck a good used digital reflex.
    The quality of a good photo does not depent on the megapixelrace.
    But depents on the used lens, sensor, settings and ofcourse a keen eye.
    Not everyone is born to make great photo's, not even with the latest highend camera's.

But for a always ad hand camera, its a good shooter

sorry if this is not what you want to hear.
    03-12-2014 10:23 PM
    I just came back. I sold my 1020 and went through a Nexus 5, S4, Note 3, and an iPhone 5S. Only the 5S could compare for photos but the phone is too tiny for my liking. Found a nice 1020 for cheap on Craigslist. Impressed with Black. Miss reading WP Central. Glad to be back.
    03-16-2014 12:04 AM
    It depends on how you use the camera.
    Just family pics, or diehard photography ( far and fast objects,think of jetplanes, racingcars or animals )
    Remember its just a Phone with a camera to shoot pictures.
    It takes pictures, not photo's.
    When i look at it as a phone with a camera it takes great pictures.
    But if i look at it as a camera, then sorry....
    Its to slow, no optic zoom, its just to limited for a profesional camera.

For 300,- you can buy fine cameras, and with some luck a good used digital reflex.
    The quality of a good photo does not depent on the megapixelrace.
    But depents on the used lens, sensor, settings and ofcourse a keen eye.
    Not everyone is born to make great photo's, not even with the latest highend camera's.

But for a always ad hand camera, its a good shooter

sorry if this is not what you want to hear.
    sorry I disagree , I am actually selling prints that I have taken with my Lumia 1020 so I guess it does take great photos ;-) its is a very very capable camera indeed and infact has a sensor and optics that are bigger and better then in most cameras up to about the 300 price point , it even competes with the sony rx-100 which has a huge 1" sensor

yes some cameras offer optical zoom which will be better for some subjects but when we are talking quality of pictures the 1020 can hold it own just like the nokia 808 could before it as well , I just went to Thailand and the 1020 has taken images I will be happy to look back on in 10 years time and it was much easier to carry about then the Panasonic g3 I also took ;-) look through the photo thread at the top of the 1020 forum and you will see some awesome pics from users of the 1020 ;-)
    SwimSwim likes this.
    03-16-2014 02:29 AM
    Some here are saying that it can be compared with dslr cameras; lumia 1020 is a great excellent, phenomenal, photo smartphones with large 1 1/5" senzor, but again can not be measured with dslr with large senzor APS-C...
    Can possibly compared to some more advanced cameras (?) ( Olympus XZ1, Canon S95) But still, these more advanced cameras have (Olympus, Canon etc.) better optics than 1020..
    It would be good if you could put larger sensor 1":D
    03-16-2014 03:29 AM
    I'm so glad I got another 1020. At Vegas and I've taken some outstanding photos. Love the massive improvement to night shots with Black. Left my Sony NEX 3N at home.
    03-19-2014 02:17 AM
    I'm so glad I got another 1020. At Vegas and I've taken some outstanding photos. Love the massive improvement to night shots with Black. Left my Sony NEX 3N at home.
    Glad you like it! And it's awesome being able to leave the big, bulky camera at home: but still take incredible photos that'll hold their own for years to come.
    03-19-2014 05:41 AM
    I have the same "problem" too. I bought Lumia 1020 in January. It was defective and I brought it back to seller. Then I've got the Lumia 1520. And since that I'm missing Lumia 1020... Today, after 2 months with Lumia 1520 I'm going to buy Lumia 1020. Is there any one who changed Lumia 1520 t0 Lumia 1020?
    03-19-2014 06:36 AM