Get the 1020 or wait?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
When is the successor to the 1020 coming out? I haven't heard anything, but I want the sweet camera but with better guts.

I don't know how the Microsoft purchase is affecting production/design etc. but Nokia's photo centric devices come out every 12 to 18 months or so.. that is if you are in fact expecting significant improvement across the board.

N90 - 2005
N93 - 2006
N95/N82 -2007
N86 - 2009
N8 - 2010
808 - 2012
1020 - 2013

So its reasonable to expect the next one sometime this year if Microsoft don't completely change the development cycle. Also, like I said, the transition might introduce further delays.

The leap from the N8 to the 808 in terms of functionality and IQ was quite significant.. probably more than any other transition that came before.

Braini4c

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I think i might just way for a new lumia to come out hopefully nokia announce something real soon if not i think i may just get the 1520 again but in black this time and just learn to love how big the phone is.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
When is the successor to the 1020 coming out? I haven't heard anything, but I want the sweet camera but with better guts.

Likely not for awhile. Keep in mind that it's been out for less than a year (came out last July), so we likely won't be seeing one no earlier than this July, probably later than that.

Also, according to WPC: Windows Phone 8.1 won't immediately launch will a complete new line-up of "next-generation" devices. Rather, it's been reported the initial rollout will be somewhat slow: with only a few low-end devices coming out at first (Think "Moneypenny," the Lumia 630). Then, somewhere around late-summer/early-fall, we'll start seeing high-end devices getting their upgrades. At least, that's what I've heard.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
hmm maybe i will just buy the 1020 to have a play with it and if nokia dose bring something big out i will sell the 1020 and buy it. I Just hope the 1020 is not slow for me as i have always had quad core phone.
It is slow - comparing the same apps with my friend's iPhone 5 and my new Nexus 5 brought that home to me. Click on an app on the 1020 and you're waiting a few seconds before the screen shows the data, on the iPhone and Nexus it is pretty instantaneous. I was becoming very conscious of the delay each time I opened an app. No big deal, and the scrolling etc. is pretty impressive on the 1020 once the app has opened. Personally I'd wait for new hardware . . .

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a 1020 for exactly this purpose - as a camera to keep in my pocket while traveling, that's also a phone. It seems like a good choice. In fact it seems like it was designed for that purpose.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a 1020 for exactly this purpose - as a camera to keep in my pocket while traveling, that's also a phone. It seems like a good choice. In fact it seems like it was designed for that purpose.

Haha! It WAS designed for that purpose! And does a damn fine job of it, too.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I talked to someone that works for Nokia USA .. there will be a 1020 successor for sure by the end of the year, which is what we all knew already, but it was nice to get a conformation from someone that works there.

Also, they are moving the Sunnyvale HQ to the Microsoft building in Mountain View .. they will be talking two floors in one of buildings

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I talked to someone that works for Nokia USA .. there will be a 1020 successor for sure by the end of the year, which is what we all knew already, but it was nice to get a conformation from someone that works there.

Also, they are moving the Sunnyvale HQ to the Microsoft building in Mountain View .. they will be talking two floors in one of buildings

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

THIS is what I was waiting for!

fitcious

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
interesting on the successor comment...i wonder if the quality will be as good? or will it be another 41mp...

for example, although the 1020 was a successor to the 808 but i believe the image quality on the 808 is a bit better than the 1020..

anon8433722

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

If you are within the first 5-6 months in the life of a flagship smartphone then the answer is yes. If you are 9-10 months into the life of a flagship, consider the current alternatives. If you upgrade annually, it would be best to wait out the successor and go from there. Otherwise you end up with a year old-phone that isn't as shiny and new. If shiny and new doesn't matter to you, go for it. The 1020's camera is best in class and gives you a ton of features. It isn't the fastest or easiest to use, but it will more than hold its own compared to iOS and Android devices.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
interesting on the successor comment...i wonder if the quality will be as good? or will it be another 41mp...

for example, although the 1020 was a successor to the 808 but i believe the image quality on the 808 is a bit better than the 1020..

this ....... with the 1020 they used the same principal as the 808 , large sensor , oversampled images to eliminate noise etc etc ...... I am hoping they continue with this method but improve it ...... bigger sensor , better optics , great oversampling , better ois , improved rich recording , nd filter , xenon flash etc etc I want to see the 1020/808 continued and improved to give us even more pure images then the 808 and 1020

if they do this then great , I get worried though they will chase slimness and form factor over useage and quality and always settle for a middle ground now so they don't get slated for a huge camera hump or a thick device ...... both of which I don't mind if they produce great results ......... so maybe the next phone will try a new sensor or a new way of getting more pure images , maybe nokia/Microsoft will try saying that led is as good as xenon like they did going from the n82 to the n96 back in the day ...... who knows what the next 1020 type device will be like? pelican sensor tech? 1020 type sensor but bigger? xenon flash or no xenon flash? like I say I hope its a 808/1020 type device but even better

at the minute while deciding whever to get a 1020 , you could find a cheap one , buy it and use it to capture great photos and if a better one comes out then boom sell up and use the money towards the new model if it takes your fancy ;-)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
this ....... with the 1020 they used the same principal as the 808 , large sensor , oversampled images to eliminate noise etc etc ...... I am hoping they continue with this method but improve it ...... bigger sensor , better optics , great oversampling , better ois , improved rich recording , nd filter , xenon flash etc etc I want to see the 1020/808 continued and improved to give us even more pure images then the 808 and 1020

I am sure that it will be an improved version of the same tech, unless they are ready with the next generation.. whatever that might be.

A bigger sensor is essential.. at least as big as the 808s

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the 1520 and returned it due to its size for the 1020. Do not regret my decision. Only thing I miss is the 3 row tiles which we will have with 8.1 No differences in speed that is noticeable at all.