1020 vs 920 low light

dennisfang1

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys, I don't usually post, but this thread is really starting to annoy me. Firstly it is impossible for the 920 to have better low light capabilities than the 1020, for the sensor is four times smaller, and thus it can only capture 1/4th of the light that the 1020 gathers. Furthermore, the argument that the 920 has a wider aperture than the 1020, hence contains superior low-light capabilities is a misguided one because sensor size and aperture are intrinsically linked. For example, because the 1020 has a smaller sensor than a full frame DSLR, its light gathering abilities is equivalent to a DSLR wit the aperture aperture is equivalent to approximately f8 or more. Moreover, despite the 720 having the largest aperture of F1.9, because of its minuscule sensor of one in three point two, to say that it has the best low light ability is ridiculous. The viewfinder, or even the image might be brighter on the 720 or the 920, but this has nothing to do with the phone's light capturing ability, rather it only demonstrates the phone's processing methods as well as the settings the camera captures in.
Basically, all I wanted to say is that the light gathering abilities depicted by aperture size is completely relative to the sensor size. Cheers :)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I get great low light shots from my 1020 , with much less noise then my old 920 , how people can judge their phones low light capabilities on what they see through the viewfinder is beyond me , don't forget that the 1020 also has manual controls , just make the shutter slower to let more light in and get better night time shots

as the user above said the sensor is 4x bigger on the 1020 , it will produce much better shots with less noise ;-)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the info everyone, was considering a 1020 and giving my wife the old 920, looks like she'll be getting a 1020 or Samsung Galaxy 4s now. Did not realize the 1020 could not equal the 920 in low light pictures and I need the ability to capture low light shots.

if you keep the 920 and give your wife the upgrade 1020 then she is one very lucky lady indeed ;-) the 1020 easily trumps the 920 , the 920 is a great device but it doesn't have the zoom or oversampling , cant shoot raw , has a tiny sensor compared to the 1020 , rich recording is better on the 1020 , 1020 has 2gb ram , no xenon flash on the 920 etc etc

I wouldn't give up your upgrade based on what a few people have said in this thread , no way , most of it isn't true , yes the 920 has a bigger aperture , but it misses out on so much else like the sensor , xenon flash , zoom , oversampling , raw shooting , reframing , etc etc

Dexterrino

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
but using 2-4 seconds on shutter speed,1020 can beat 920 marginally. there is only 0.2 difference on aperture. but 1020 sensor size is larger- means more surface area for light to come in.

on a side note, please like this comment so i can see it on my notifs. and reply to me how to enable notifications on my wpcentral acc. i want to see notifs on who replied to my comments on posts and forums. - only liked comments on forums is enabled on notif as it seems
-others a welcome to help me

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
but using 2-4 seconds on shutter speed,1020 can beat 920 marginally. there is only 0.2 difference on aperture. but 1020 sensor size is larger- means more surface area for light to come in.

on a side note, please like this comment so i can see it on my notifs. and reply to me how to enable notifications on my wpcentral acc. i want to see notifs on who replied to my comments on posts and forums. - only liked comments on forums is enabled on notif as it seems
-others a welcome to help me

Also, the oversampling reduces noise too in low-light shots

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people are commenting talking about what is being seen in the viewfinder...

If you look at the screenshots properly, the viewfinder is on VIDEO mode...

Sure, the 1020 takes the better picture at the end.. but look at the VIDEO....

THE VIDEO IS THE PROBLEM. NOT THE PICTURE.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people are commenting talking about what is being seen in the viewfinder...

If you look at the screenshots properly, the viewfinder is on VIDEO mode...

Sure, the 1020 takes the better picture at the end.. but look at the VIDEO....

THE VIDEO IS THE PROBLEM. NOT THE PICTURE.

I must admit I don't take much video ....... however on youtube I found these very quickly and they look pretty decent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH3Ntue2xIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2rUX5jufY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf03E4fZ4vM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon