should i buy 1020/1520 or waittng new device until end of june?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
hey welcome to WPC forums :smile:
if you want an excellent camera phone you can go for Lumia 1020 , else if you want a 6"phone with beast hardware get Lumia 1520 , its still a flagship phone from Nokia.
you can read detailed review for Lumia 1020 here :- Nokia Lumia 1020 Review | Windows Phone Central
and for Lumia 1520 over here :- Nokia Lumia 1520 Review | Windows Phone Central
though Lumia 1520 has great specs , all windows phone 8 devices will be upgraded to windows phone 8.1 :) so it also includes Lumia 1020.
there are still rumours for Lumia 630 or 930 after the build but that all will be cleared tomorrow after the build conference :smile:

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
hey welcome to WPC forums :smile:
if you want an excellent camera phone you can go for Lumia 1020 , else if you want a 6"phone with beast hardware get Lumia 1520 , its still a flagship phone from Nokia.
you can read detailed review for Lumia 1020 here :- Nokia Lumia 1020 Review | Windows Phone Central
and for Lumia 1520 over here :- Nokia Lumia 1520 Review | Windows Phone Central
though Lumia 1520 has great specs , all windows phone 8 devices will be upgraded to windows phone 8.1 :) so it also includes Lumia 1020.
there are still rumours for Lumia 630 or 930 after the build but that all will be cleared tomorrow after the build conference :smile:

thanks.. i think my question would be answered after tomorrow. hope i will make decision after tomorrow.or maybe i will go back this thread for get base personal opinion.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The question is: do you NEED a new phone now or do you WANT a new phone now? :)
If you don't need one now and you could wait till end of June anyways, you should do this. The worst thing which could happen would be either cheaper prices for current devices or new devices which could make the choice more difficult.

Personally I doubt we'll get a 1020 successor announced before end of summer. We know there'll be a 920/925 successor announced tomorrow.

Personally I just bought a 1020 almost a month ago when renewing my carriers contract. However the most major reason was they really heavily discounted it, got the 64 gig version for 289?, in comparison the cheapest online store was offering the 32 gig version for just more than 500?. Used 64gig 1020s usually sell for well more than 500 bucks on eBay, so it was a great deal.

The 1520 can be considered the mug more superior hone, however it also is much larger. I wouldn't want such a large piece of equipment for my daily phone, I'd rather get a 7" tablet and have a smaller phone. However the battery life on the 1520 is said to be absolutely awesome, while the 1020 is the complete opposite in this regard.

Another questionable thing of the 1020 would be the hardware: Basicly it still has the old 920 internals, just with a different display and camera module. While ig has 2 gigs of RAM, I heard one gig is hardwired and reserved,for the camera, so the OS can't use it. That means you'd be buying a device with 18 months old internal hardware. I still choose the 1020 because the operation speed itself is good enough. Most stuff loads fast, the OS is absolutely smooth, there are virtually never any lags present. Since the speed won't get worse over time and it is enough for my needs, I didn't really care about the somewhat "outdated" hardware.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I was on the same dilemma when I was thinking of a gift for myself last December. Well, I bought the 1520 over the 1020 for these reasons (which dwells more with reaon#1):
1. Future-proofing. With very advanced internals and hefty battery, I could probably use it for three years or more without feeling very outdated.
2. Long battery life. Coupled with a very efficient OS, its battery life is simply more than enough for a day's work. I need something like this since there are times that I won't be with a power source near me for a week or more.
3. LCD screen. I have read somewhere that AMOLED screens (the one 1020 has) are more susceptible to screen burn-ins than LCD displays. And web browsing kills battery life easily with AMOLED displays, and I know that I'll be browsing a lot.
4. Phablet fad. It's my first time in years to join a fad in technology. And I didn't regret its big screen since it's very useful and awesome for me.

Even though the camera's inferior than what 1020 has, it is still great compared to other smartphones and even point-and-shoot cameras out there. And the dual-LED flash is really bright!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
The question is: do you NEED a new phone now or do you WANT a new phone now? :)
If you don't need one now and you could wait till end of June anyways, you should do this. The worst thing which could happen would be either cheaper prices for current devices or new devices which could make the choice more difficult.

Personally I doubt we'll get a 1020 successor announced before end of summer. We know there'll be a 920/925 successor announced tomorrow.

Personally I just bought a 1020 almost a month ago when renewing my carriers contract. However the most major reason was they really heavily discounted it, got the 64 gig version for 289€, in comparison the cheapest online store was offering the 32 gig version for just more than 500€. Used 64gig 1020s usually sell for well more than 500 bucks on eBay, so it was a great deal.

The 1520 can be considered the mug more superior hone, however it also is much larger. I wouldn't want such a large piece of equipment for my daily phone, I'd rather get a 7" tablet and have a smaller phone. However the battery life on the 1520 is said to be absolutely awesome, while the 1020 is the complete opposite in this regard.

Another questionable thing of the 1020 would be the hardware: Basicly it still has the old 920 internals, just with a different display and camera module. While ig has 2 gigs of RAM, I heard one gig is hardwired and reserved,for the camera, so the OS can't use it. That means you'd be buying a device with 18 months old internal hardware. I still choose the 1020 because the operation speed itself is good enough. Most stuff loads fast, the OS is absolutely smooth, there are virtually never any lags present. Since the speed won't get worse over time and it is enough for my needs, I didn't really care about the somewhat "outdated" hardware.

nice advice dude !!! thanks !! really appreciate!

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I was on the same dilemma when I was thinking of a gift for myself last December. Well, I bought the 1520 over the 1020 for these reasons (which dwells more with reaon#1):
1. Future-proofing. With very advanced internals and hefty battery, I could probably use it for three years or more without feeling very outdated.
2. Long battery life. Coupled with a very efficient OS, its battery life is simply more than enough for a day's work. I need something like this since there are times that I won't be with a power source near me for a week or more.
3. LCD screen. I have read somewhere that AMOLED screens (the one 1020 has) are more susceptible to screen burn-ins than LCD displays. And web browsing kills battery life easily with AMOLED displays, and I know that I'll be browsing a lot.
4. Phablet fad. It's my first time in years to join a fad in technology. And I didn't regret its big screen since it's very useful and awesome for me.

Even though the camera's inferior than what 1020 has, it is still great compared to other smartphones and even point-and-shoot cameras out there. And the dual-LED flash is really bright!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

i go seeking 1020 and 1520 last night . for 1520 really big.uncomfortable for me since my hand is small and im the active person. i prefer 1020. look nice.. 41megapxl the reason i choose that but after i do some research on internet.toooo many complain about batterylife.dilemma..

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i go seeking 1020 and 1520 last night . for 1520 really big.uncomfortable for me since my hand is small and im the active person. i prefer 1020. look nice.. 41megapxl the reason i choose that but after i do some research on internet.toooo many complain about batterylife.dilemma..

Ok, here's my opinion:

What exactly do you look for in a phone? You have to answer that before choosing.

- If you want a phablet, the 1520 is the way to go. However, since you don't like its size, I would consider it out of the question. The 1520 is a nice device but a nightmare to use on a daily basis, to me, because of its size.

- If you want the ultimate imaging device, the 1020 is the way to go. What you have to ask yourself, though, is: do I REALLY need a 41mp sensor?
I own a 1020. It's not my daily driver. I use the 1020 exclusively as a photographic camera and that's why I bought it. The 1020 is a great camera but not a great phone. And here's why:
- It's a 920 but it's less comfortable to hold because of the big camera hump in the back that sits precicely where your fingers go; and it lacks built-in wireless charging.
For these 2 reasons, the 1020 is worse than the 920 as a phone, to me (ok, and I prefer the LCD display to the AMOLED one but that's mere taste).

I currently use a 920 and a 1020. The 920 is my daily driver. The 1020 my photographic camera. I haven't replaced the 920 for the 1020 because it's not a worthy *phone* upgrade.

Now, if you want a compromise between great specs and great camera, and don't want to go carrying around more than one phone, I would wait for the 930.
The 20mp camera is not the 41mp one but it's great enough for you to don't miss it. Unless, of course, you're an amateur or professional photographer in which case the extra pixels will be useful to you.
Not only that, the 930 isn't a monster as the 1520 but has similar specs (might have a SD801 instead of the SD800 of the 1520). So it covers the manageability the 1520 lacks.

Neither the 1520 nor the 1020 will be replaced anytime soon by newer versions. You will not see a 1030 until, at best, the end of 2014 (IF you ever see it, really).

Just wait a bit. If folks at Nokia manage to put it on time, tomorrow you should be seeing the 930 and then judge it. Though, chances are, it will definitely be the best option for you ;)

mikebodo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's my opinion:
- It's a 920 but it's less comfortable to hold because of the big camera hump in the back that sits precicely where your fingers go; and it lacks built-in wireless charging.
For these 2 reasons, the 1020 is worse than the 920 as a phone, to me (ok, and I prefer the LCD display to the AMOLED one but that's mere taste).

I currently use a 920 and a 1020. The 920 is my daily driver. The 1020 my photographic camera. I haven't replaced the 920 for the 1020 because it's not a worthy *phone* upgrade.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The 920 is thicker and heavier than the 1020 and provided both phones have good batteries in them, the 1020 gets on average longer talk time, although the 920 has a longer stand-by time.

Also, I'm not sure how you hold your phone when talking or texting, but my fingers rarely ever come in contact with the hump, so I don't find it a physical issue for me as I do an aesthetic one and even there it doesn't bother me at all.

While the 920 comes with 1GB RAM the 1020 comes with 2, although it needs the extra RAM due to the cameras 41mp sensor.

The 920 has an IPS LCD screen, while the 1020 has an AMOLED screen, which provides more vibrant colors, however they tend to be a bit over-saturated. Good thing is this can be adjusted in the phones settings. I had an LCD screen on my Nokia Lumia 900 prior to purchasing the 1020 and to tell you the truth the colors are about the same to me.

Obviously the big advantage the 1020 has over the 920 is the camera. It's the benchmark all other smartphone cameras are measured against. That said, for as good as the 1020's camera is the 920 may actually have a slight edge in low light conditions.

To the 920's credit it has wireless charging built-in. This may or may not be an important feature, but it's something I would have liked to have seen in the 1020, that I was willing to sacrifice.

At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with either device as both are great phones. What sold me on the 1020 was the camera, slimmer profile and lighter weight. That said, almost every 920 owner I know loves their phone, while many 1020 owners love the phone but are dissatisfied with the battery life. Mine is a newer 1020 so perhaps the battery problem Nokia had was with a batch of phones produced early on and by the time I got mine the problem was addressed, as I get great battery life - better than I ever did with my 900, which I was happy with as well.

For more comparisons of the two check out the articles at the links below.

Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Lumia 925 vs Lumia 920 - Opinion - Trusted Reviews

Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Nokia Lumia 920 - Phone specs comparison

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you get!

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's my opinion:

What exactly do you look for in a phone? You have to answer that before choosing.

- If you want a phablet, the 1520 is the way to go. However, since you don't like its size, I would consider it out of the question. The 1520 is a nice device but a nightmare to use on a daily basis, to me, because of its size.

- If you want the ultimate imaging device, the 1020 is the way to go. What you have to ask yourself, though, is: do I REALLY need a 41mp sensor?
I own a 1020. It's not my daily driver. I use the 1020 exclusively as a photographic camera and that's why I bought it. The 1020 is a great camera but not a great phone. And here's why:

Now, if you want a compromise between great specs and great camera, and don't want to go carrying around more than one phone, I would wait for the 930.
The 20mp camera is not the 41mp one but it's great enough for you to don't miss it. Unless, of course, you're an amateur or professional photographer in which case the extra pixels will be useful to you.
Not only that, the 930 isn't a monster as the 1520 but has similar specs (might have a SD801 instead of the SD800 of the 1520). So it covers the manageability the 1520 lacks.

Neither the 1520 nor the 1020 will be replaced anytime soon by newer versions. You will not see a 1030 until, at best, the end of 2014 (IF you ever see it, really).

Just wait a bit. If folks at Nokia manage to put it on time, tomorrow you should be seeing the 930 and then judge it. Though, chances are, it will definitely be the best option for you ;)

thanks u DJCBS !! will seing 930 today.

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
finally 930.. but kinda boring. I will focus for 1020/1520 or goldfinger myb... in the end my decision is stuck. great.. (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
finally 930.. but kinda boring. I will focus for 1020/1520 or goldfinger myb... in the end my decision is stuck. great.. (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Goldfinger will not be coming any time soon. So if you're in a hurry to change the phone, you're sort of stuck with these offers. The 930, despite its inadmissible shortcomings on a 2014 flagship, is still your best compromise between the great camera of the 1020 and the power specs of the 1520.

zombie zom

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Goldfinger will not be coming any time soon. So if you're in a hurry to change the phone, you're sort of stuck with these offers. The 930, despite its inadmissible shortcomings on a 2014 flagship, is still your best compromise between the great camera of the 1020 and the power specs of the 1520.

thanks u DJCBS.i decided to take 1520.
1.1020 my 1st choice but mostly baterry problem.
2.even 41megapxl with small screen.i prefer 1520 20mp with large screen.so i can feel a image taken,since i barely transfer file to pc.
3.i will buy black colour matte with white case.comfirm !!

tetded-premium-leather-case-for-nokia-lumia-1520-caen-lc-white.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos