Well, I cracked

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thought I would wait til tomorrow to see what was coming out, but after thinking about it I realized that it would probably be quite some time before the 1020 gets an upgrade, so I said "what the heck" and went ahead and got one. Hope I don't end up eating my words tomorrow. :p

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we won't see an actual 1020 successor tomorrow. Most signs lead to the known 630, as well as a 920/925 successor - the 930. Which most likely will be some sort of international version of the Lumia Icon. So for people who still want that camera, there won't be any device tomorrow to really get them excited.

Besides the 1020 still ain't no bad phone, the internals might not be the freshest anymore, but IMO it is more than capable of still handling all daily tasks very well. Sure battery life really could be better, but there are some ways to try workarounds like external batteries. I got my 1020 almost four weeks ago, with having the knowledge we'll see some new devices a month later and I don't regret it. I also got the phone for the camera as being the number one reason.

Last but not least, regardless of what is being announced tomorrow. The 1020 is a phone you can get today, who knows when the new toys are going to be available in the stores. It's highly unlikely we would be able to buy the new stuff sometime next week.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The 1020 is a good phone. My wife had the earlier Nokia 808 with Symbian^3 and I sold it on eBay 2 months ago for $300 in ten minutes. People like the 41MP camera performance. You made a smart buy.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If you always want the latest and greatest, you'll be waiting forever and never actually get anything. Get what's avail now and enjoy it. Everything is obsolete by the time you get it anyway. ;-)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad "I cracked" means you went and got a 1020, because when I saw that header, I thought for sure it meant your phone's screen cracked! Hope you love the new phone. :grin:

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we won't see an actual 1020 successor tomorrow. Most signs lead to the known 630, as well as a 920/925 successor - the 930. Which most likely will be some sort of international version of the Lumia Icon. So for people who still want that camera, there won't be any device tomorrow to really get them excited.

Besides the 1020 still ain't no bad phone, the internals might not be the freshest anymore, but IMO it is more than capable of still handling all daily tasks very well. Sure battery life really could be better, but there are some ways to try workarounds like external batteries. I got my 1020 almost four weeks ago, with having the knowledge we'll see some new devices a month later and I don't regret it. I also got the phone for the camera as being the number one reason.

Last but not least, regardless of what is being announced tomorrow. The 1020 is a phone you can get today, who knows when the new toys are going to be available in the stores. It's highly unlikely we would be able to buy the new stuff sometime next week.
Yeah, I went into this eyes wide open as well. I already know the battery life will be a challenge, but just like you dat camera is the number one reason I got it. I regard it as more of a camera with a phone than a phone with a camera. ;)

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with that purchase. My L920 is still a great phone and one generation older than the 1020. With the update to 8.1, the 1020 should be a fine phone for a couple years unless you get tempted by the next big thing. Certainly can't beat the camera. Good luck!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, immediately there's something that's irritating me - Facebook still does not have the option to edit comments and posts. This was the case back when I had my last Windows Phone, the Focus Flash, and that's been a while. Microsoft really needs to turn development over to Facebook. This app is missing a few features other platforms have had for a while now.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe Nokia does pack in earbuds with foreign models, but AT&T does not include them with the US versions.

LOVE my 1020. I have a couple camera grips which extend the battery and feel great for taking pics. Use the wireless charge cover the rest of the time. Very easy to change out the accessories.

Also love the lanyard!

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and does Nokia not pack in earphones with their phones? Not a huge deal, just thought it was odd.

I believe it's up to the carrier whether the "package" they sell included earphones or not - whatever they negotiate with Nokia. My 1020 came with them (Rogers in Canada). Congrats on the phone, I've had mine for nearly 6 months now and haven't regretted it for a second. The "somewhat dated" internals run everything perfectly fine, honestly not sure how much difference a quad-core CPU would make. WP8 OS is extremely optimized for efficiency. And the size of the phone is perfect IMO.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe Nokia does pack in earbuds with foreign models, but AT&T does not include them with the US versions.

LOVE my 1020. I have a couple camera grips which extend the battery and feel great for taking pics. Use the wireless charge cover the rest of the time. Very easy to change out the accessories.

Also love the lanyard!

What is this charging cover you speak of? I know ATT doesn't support Qi, so is there an attachment that allows their alternate charging method?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
All 1020s are Qi ready when you attach the accessory case. You can buy this on ebay and the like. You'll need a charger but it is an option.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You made a great purchase today. I love my 1020 and WP8. I ditched my Galaxy S4 and LG G2 for the 1020 and never looked back. The camera is truely superb. And theres some useful Apps as well, such as: MyTasks, Phonly (Feedly on Android), All the "HERE" apps, StoryTeller, TuneIn Radio.. and loads more useful stuff.. unfortunately there are still people out there moaning that WP8 Store is rubbish becasue you still cant get Candy Crush Saga.. , ignore them.. they are usually the local Android sheep

A bit of advice.. take some time out and learn a bit about digital photography, expecially about using Light, ISO, bracketing and shutter speed. The reason I say this is because using the camera on AUTO all the time can produce some truely horrible noisey, over or under exposed shots.. which may give you the wrong impression that the cameras faulty or theres something wrong with the OIS. Theres not, you just goto to learn it.

Congrats on a great purchase, youll never regret it :)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Keeping things in perspective, even though I do still have a few complaints I have to say that for the most part the changes that have been made since I left the platform a couple of years ago at WP 7.5 are very evident. And with the further improvements coming in 8.1 I'm even more convinced that it was absolutely the right time to come back. Even though I left I've continued to keep my on things in the hopes it would be worth coming back to some day and overall I'm happy as a clam right now.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I was pretty jazzed to find out that a majority of the apps I purchased as far back as three years ago are still in development and available for reinstall. Really glad I purchased Rowi back then or I'd have missed out! :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos