Lumia 1020 Video Quality seems better than most digital cameras?

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased a Sony Nex 3N based on recommendations. I know this isn't the highest end of cameras but it has great reviews and is one that is highly recommended around that price range.

I just want to say in terms of photos, the 3N beats the Lumia, but it doesn't seem like a landslide. The lens provides a lot of flexibility for compositions, but the real difference here is in the video quality...

Is it just me, or does the Lumia have ridiculously good video quality? This was made clearly evident with a lower light environments. The Lumia 1020 absolutely dominated in terms of video and audio capture quality with limited light!

Maybe I'm just ignorant and don't know how to use this camera yet, but it seemed like the clear winner.

What digital camera out there is as good or better than the Lumia with low light video recording?

Last edited:

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
the lumia 1020 has extremely weak corners almost to being downright unacceptable for landscape and fine detail photography. And before somebody questions this, know I own 20K + worth of DSLRs so unless you can challenge this and be ready to post raw files from a DSLR vs a Lumia, don't try to say otherwise because I've done extensive comparisons with cameras that costs several times more than this phone.

video wise, it all depends. The 1020 has a high bitrate but you need to look at other things like how well it compresses the raw data and if it does line skipping or not. I have not had a chance to properly evaluate it but although it has a good level of detail I don't think it matches what I'm getting from the panasonic G3. The other problem is that in low light, the 1020 will try to compensate with a shutter speed adjustment which can make video look muddy. I can comfortably shoot at 1/60s and 1/50s for 30p and 24p respectively, and if you know your video, you know that this will produce the best compromise between motion fluidity and detail.

I'm almost certain I've seen the 1020 show moire patterns indicating line skipping, and this is not surprising as a 40MP readout is impossible in video mode for such a small cpu. In this case, any camera that does a better re-sampling method than line-skipping will beat the 1020 anytime you have horizontal lines. However I have not conducted a controlled test to measure the amount of moire on the 1020 vs some dslrs.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The quality of my Lumia 1020 its better than my Sony NEX...

Example:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F83762283&token=ypEAWy1r

I had to return the Nex even though it cost me 20% restocking fee. Was very underwhelmed by it all. My friend actually felt bad and let me borrow his 3000 dollar DSLR. It is a Nikon D7000 with a f2.8 14mm-24mm lens and also a 50mm f1.8 lens.

I did testing and while the D7000 at f1.8 can get sharper details, overall the picture quality is still not as good imo. With the f2.8 lens video looked like trash in my room.

Lumia is amazing. It has the best low light video performance I've ever seen. Even when compared to DSLRs that cost thousands of dollars. If I had a hold of an f1.4 lens it would probably be better than the Lumia, but then you lose a lot of depth of field.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the lumia 1020 has extremely weak corners almost to being downright unacceptable for landscape and fine detail photography. And before somebody questions this, know I own 20K + worth of DSLRs so unless you can challenge this and be ready to post raw files from a DSLR vs a Lumia, don't try to say otherwise because I've done extensive comparisons with cameras that costs several times more than this phone.

video wise, it all depends. The 1020 has a high bitrate but you need to look at other things like how well it compresses the raw data and if it does line skipping or not. I have not had a chance to properly evaluate it but although it has a good level of detail I don't think it matches what I'm getting from the panasonic G3. The other problem is that in low light, the 1020 will try to compensate with a shutter speed adjustment which can make video look muddy. I can comfortably shoot at 1/60s and 1/50s for 30p and 24p respectively, and if you know your video, you know that this will produce the best compromise between motion fluidity and detail.

I'm almost certain I've seen the 1020 show moire patterns indicating line skipping, and this is not surprising as a 40MP readout is impossible in video mode for such a small cpu. In this case, any camera that does a better re-sampling method than line-skipping will beat the 1020 anytime you have horizontal lines. However I have not conducted a controlled test to measure the amount of moire on the 1020 vs some dslrs.

some 1020s have corner softness on the left side , some on the right side , some on both sides and some it is hardly noticeable on at all to be honest with you mate , if you have it that bad I guess you got a really bad 1020 with corner softness on both sides?? I guess when you are designing/building that sort of optics in such a tiny space in such a big quantity you will get differing builds to a certain degree

also I don't think many people would compare a 1020 to a slr with a ?1000 lens on it , wouldn't that be silly , I mean a ?1000 lens costs twice as much as a 1020 and the slr will obviously have a bigger sensor so I don't really get what you was trying to say there??

however the 1020 will beat a lot of point and shoot cameras and actually comes with a quite a big sensor compared to most of them , then you have nokias oversampling which helps with the pureness of the photo so while it would be silly to compare a 1020 to a slr with a 1k lens on it , it is not silly to compare it to cameras that sell for around ?300 in the uk

as for the video mine is pretty solid and what I really love about the video is the rich recording mics , I can stand right next to a soundsystem at a rave/festival/free party and the quality is immense , the recording doesn't distort and when playing back through a stereo etc you can hear the bass and the quality of the recording ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs