05-29-2014 07:44 AM
48 12
tools
    The 1020 hardware will become updated in a year or two.

However, the camera hardware will keep it relevant for much longer than the average smartphone.

I do not have a 1020 yet and I'm planning to pick up one when the price goes down further.
    04-06-2014 03:06 AM
    The 1020 hardware will become updated in a year or two.

However, the camera hardware will keep it relevant for much longer than the average smartphone.

I do not have a 1020 yet and I'm planning to pick up one when the price goes down further.
    consider about baterry life !!!!
    04-06-2014 03:48 AM
    I honestly think you should wait 😊 especially if you don't need the phone, but just want one lol.. It's better to wait for a new one to come out than to be disappointed later that you don't have the newest or the best software pre-installed
    Not sure I follow. My 1020 came with Lumia Black preinstalled and its set to get 8.1 this summer. Even if it didn't officially get 8.2 whenever that comes out you can still install it unofficially through app studio, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I just bought mine a week ago and have no fear of being left behind any time soon.
    Last edited by psychotron; 04-06-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    04-06-2014 08:34 AM
    key words in your sentence ..... good enough .... why not make it better still ;-) bigger sensor .... keep the 41mp optics ..... bigger pixels for ultimate night time photography .... they can also work on focus and other things like improving ois further , improving rich recording , the build of the optics so we don't get side softness in some 1020s , variable flash settings , there is no doubting nokia have excelled with the 1020 it has a smaller sensor then the 808 and still goes toe to toe with it , however nokia could still improve the 1020 and make an even better camera phone the main thing that would allow this is by adding a few mm to the design but in a world of lover for anorexic/skinny phones nokia are being hampered by todays design language , the 808 had a bigger sensor and a great stealth like design but people still moaned about the hump , the 1020 is very thin and has a nice camera hump yet people still moaned about the camera hump which still makes me scratch my head ...... imagine what nokia could do if they didn't have to make their phones so thin for the media to accept them etc .... imagine what nokia could do with the thickness of the s4 zoom ;-)
    I'm sorry, but the S4 Zoom is an abomination and not meant to be used as a phone. The race to ever thicker cameras is not the kind of game that Nokia is going to play.
    04-06-2014 11:03 AM
    I had the 1520 and now the 1020. Speed is slightly, but barely noticeable to be any different. However, the battery is very mediocre on the 1020.
    04-06-2014 02:43 PM
    I'm sorry, but the S4 Zoom is an abomination and not meant to be used as a phone. The race to ever thicker cameras is not the kind of game that Nokia is going to play.
    lmao people in these forums can be very serious sometimes .... all I said was imagine what nokia could do with a phone that thick .....It was just a observation a hypothetical question if you like ..... I never said that I wanted nokia to make one , or I thought they would/should make a s4 zoom nokia device ..... I was literally just pointing out if nokia and the whole world didn't obsess over the thinness of phones then we could get even better camera phones ...... I was also pointing out that if nokia built a phone like the s4 zoom imagine how much better it would be
    04-06-2014 08:36 PM
    lmao people in these forums can be very serious sometimes .... all I said was imagine what nokia could do with a phone that thick .....It was just a observation a hypothetical question if you like ..... I never said that I wanted nokia to make one , or I thought they would/should make a s4 zoom nokia device ..... I was literally just pointing out if nokia and the whole world didn't obsess over the thinness of phones then we could get even better camera phones ...... I was also pointing out that if nokia built a phone like the s4 zoom imagine how much better it would be
    It doesn't take much imagination to know what can be achieved with a phone that thick. In fact, Sony has already demonstrated this with their RX line of cameras. And I'm sure Canon and Nikon can also come up with some pretty decent compact camera phones where thickness is not a concern.

The brilliant thing with Nokia is their 'out of the box' thinking, beyond simply bigger sensors and bigger lens (thickness be damned), that improves image quality within a phone form factor.

Am I too serious? Yes. But you have raised a valid question that many others have asked before, which is, why isn't Nokia putting a large sensor (some even suggested APSC size which is ridiculous), or why aren't they using optical zoom, etc. It is important to put all this into the right perspective, which is that Nokia specializes in the miniaturization of high quality camera modules in pocketable form, not in making traditional large-bodied dedicated cameras.
    04-07-2014 02:36 AM
    The brilliant thing with Nokia is their 'out of the box' thinking, beyond simply bigger sensors and bigger lens (thickness be damned), that improves image quality within a phone form factor.
    With the current technology we have, this is the only way you can improve IQ in a meaningful way. The only reason Nokia are where they are in terms of imaging is because they use bigger sensors and optics. All of their flagship imaging devices have much bigger sensors than the industry standard.
    04-07-2014 07:12 AM
    With the current technology we have, this is the only way you can improve IQ in a meaningful way. The only reason Nokia are where they are in terms of imaging is because they use bigger sensors and optics. All of their flagship imaging devices have much bigger sensors than the industry standard.
    They could have just done a normal 12MP, 1/1.2" sensor, with good image quality and be done with it. That's what traditional camera-makers would do. Or, they could have used a 1/3" sensor with optical zoom assembly with 3x zoom, and be done with it. It takes some creative thinking to figure out that a 41MP, 1/1.2" sensor, combined with oversampling technique, would be able to kill two birds with one stone.

To have better lowlight performance, they could have used even bigger and thicker lens, maybe f1.8 instead of f2.2. Or even larger sensor 1" instead of 1/1.5". That's the game that Canon, Nikon, Olympus have been playing for decades. Instead, Nokia figured that it is more effective and space-efficient to introduce Optical Image Stabilization to allow longer shutter time (and therefore lower ISO). The added bonus - more steady video recording. And the OIS technology can be used across Nokia's entire range of Pureview devices, including those 1/3" cameras like the 92X series.

Anyone can do bigger optics. Just stick a bigger sensor, wider lens or optical assembly. But only good, out-of-the-box thinking will allow you to make the most of your hardware. There are brute-force ways of doing things, or smart ways of doing things. I'm looking forward to more clever things to come out from Nokia's lab.
    Beijendorf and Juanma Herrera like this.
    04-07-2014 08:52 AM
    The only thing that bothers me about the 1020 is the camera bump on the back. Thats it, the phone is amazing.
    04-09-2014 10:12 AM
    wow i too wanted to know if i should buy the 1020 now or wait if a newer model is coming this year.
    waiting new camphone this year only. buying now means literally now.
    05-09-2014 09:50 AM
    05-09-2014 11:10 AM
    So I'm gonna kinda bum on this thread. Im at a crossroads. Im on TMO with an unlocked 920 but im getting bored. Yet TMO has no Lumia id like to switch to (no im not getting the 925). Im highly considering and almost today bought an unlocked 1020 (for the awesome camera) but wanted to think some more on it. I'd love a 1520 for the bigger screen and 20mp camera but the 32g is way to expensive outright. The Icon doesn't seem to be compatible with TMO. It would seem to me that I have the following options:
    1. Get a 1020 (awesome camera but I think I may want a bigger screen)
    2. "Suffer with a 16g 1520
    3. Dish out for a 32g 1520 ( what I really don't want to do).
    Am I missing an option here? Since TMO is not getting anything soon (and I'm not switching) I can make this decision whenever. Am I missing something here?
    05-09-2014 06:45 PM
    The 1020 has a small screen? My 1020 has a 4,5 screen.
    i know right! i literally laughed when i saw the small screen comment. you can say, it's not big enough for what you want in a phone, but calling it small? how laughable.
    05-09-2014 09:01 PM
    you do know that the lumia 1520 comes with a microSD expansion right?
    05-10-2014 06:53 AM
    you do know that the lumia 1520 comes with a microSD expansion right?
    yeah but like my old 810 the storage goes fast on the hard drive for apps, etc. At least that's what I remember. I went ahead and got a good deal on a 16g like new yellow 1520. Excited!
    05-11-2014 12:04 AM
    So I'm gonna kinda bum on this thread. Im at a crossroads. Im on TMO with an unlocked 920 but im getting bored. Yet TMO has no Lumia id like to switch to (no im not getting the 925). Im highly considering and almost today bought an unlocked 1020 (for the awesome camera) but wanted to think some more on it. I'd love a 1520 for the bigger screen and 20mp camera but the 32g is way to expensive outright. The Icon doesn't seem to be compatible with TMO. It would seem to me that I have the following options:
    Am I missing an option here? Since TMO is not getting anything soon (and I'm not switching) I can make this decision whenever. Am I missing something here?
    Getting a new/second hand unlocked 64Gb 1020 would be an option (the model was exclusive to Telephonica who run the O2 brand in the UK), that's the model I've gone for.

My reasoning is that

1) I want the best camera phone on the market, the Lumia 1020 is that smartphone.

2) I would prefer to not pay a premium price for the next phone, so even if Nokia/Microsoft have something to be launched this year then I would either have to pay top dollar for a contract or wait another year or so for the price to drop. The Lumia 1020 has recently dropped in price, and has two offers running right now ("get a grip" - free camera grip, 34 of free games to choose, and a 20 voucher to spend on apps/movies as you want), so its as cheap as its likely to ever be.

For me coming to the end of the Lumia 900 contract it was a no brainer. For you, I guess you have another 6 months to go on the 920 contract? If so then the decision for the next 6 months seems to be either

A) Buy the 1020 now as its as cheap as it will likely get
    B) Wait 6 or so months for the 930/1520 to drop in price before buying (the price premium will likely drop after 6 months)
    C) Buy the latest and greatest (if it even is launched) at a premium price in the next 6 months, any new phone in that time will be top end prices.
    D) Stick with the Lumia 920 for another 6 months =) It is still a awesome phone, the first WP that really turned heads.

Going for the 1020 then you have very similar hardware, so unless you really want the better camera (getting the 64Gb edition would be good too) then I'd give it a miss, it is going to depend how much you use the camera I guess.
    05-24-2014 11:03 AM
    Considering multiple reports from both Evleaks (November, 2013) and Daniel Rubino (March, 2014), there's a new imaging flagship in the works over at Nokia. Evleaks simply mentioned a new Nokia imaging flagship being in the works when tweeting about the first incoming 8.1 phones and Daniel Rubino mentioned a dual-lens Nokia coming as early as Q4 2014.

So yes, absolutely wait unless you're desperate for a new smartphone with a so far unmatched imaging capability.
    05-24-2014 12:43 PM
    yeah but like my old 810 the storage goes fast on the hard drive for apps, etc. At least that's what I remember. I went ahead and got a good deal on a 16g like new yellow 1520. Excited!
    ha. I just sold my unlocked yellow 1520 for an unlocked 1020. It was just too big. I'm very happy with the switch. I just don't have the paws to handle a six inch phone. It had awesome battery life and the camera was very nice too. Enjoy it.
    05-24-2014 02:57 PM
    ^
    I agree with above, if a 1020 successor does come out, it will probably have a larger screen as this is the trend now, and if it's 5.5-6" then I will not be jealous, IMO phablets feel weird in the pocket and awkward when holding/talking.

Curious what it will look like though, the 1020 has been one hell of a flagship, with numerous videos and features made especially for it, generated a lot of publicity and that famous camera bulge was used by nokia eveywhere, and even microsoft mobile used 1020 in their first commercial.
    05-24-2014 03:46 PM
    I have a 1020. I bought a 1520 in Dec last year & used it for slightly less than a month & I sold it. Reason being is just too massive to carry it around & use as a phone. Secondly the 6" screen is not optimised for Window apps. Mind you I have no issues with the 1520. Is just too massive for 1 handed use & portability is a problem for me. Went back to my 1020 & the only problem is the battery capacity. It doesn't last that long. I will get the 930 once is available & most important of all is when WhatsApp messenger is back in the Store. Cheers mate!
    05-26-2014 04:15 AM
    For me (who owns a 1020 and love it), if you want a bargain price, go for that but if you want the latest best camera phone, I would wait for the new reiteration (and pay the premium)
    05-29-2014 05:08 AM
    I loved my 920, it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. But I sold it, and got a 1020. And the annoying charging cover required. Using my wife's 920 reminds me how much better it is to hold the 920. The thickness the weight distribution it's all just spot on.

When I got the 920 I thought the pictures were amazing especially low light. I sold our 300 Panasonic digital video camera as the 920 was far, far better. Our priority is the camera, which after seeing what the 1020 can do, it was a no brainer to change my wife's as well.

I will miss the 920, I feel it's a better feeling device, but the 1020 ticks bigger, better boxes for us and while I miss the 920 I don't regret moving over.
    05-29-2014 07:44 AM
48 12