Nokia 1020 Picture Help!

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking through these threads and the web and can't seem to find the help I need. I have a 1020 and have had it for roughly 5 months now. I'm confused by a few things.

1. When I take a 5MP picture then switch the settings to a 5MP+34MP JPEG, the two pictures look identical on my phone as well as on my computer. The high res one is no different or less fuzzy than the 5MP one. Is it work it to leave the high settings on or should I just shoot with 5MP settings on? I'm no photographer by any means. I didn't get the phone for the camera and I don't have a very good understanding of how it works. I got the phone for the battery over the 920 and because it weighed less.

2. When putting photos on my laptop (Windows 7) is there an easy way to automatically get the photos to sync to my OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer?

3. Does anyone know of a website that has a lot of tutorials on the 1020 camera or a good explanation of the phone so I can use it to it's full potential? I've had it for months and I just feel I'm not getting everything I could out of it. Basically, because I now have the camera, it makes me want to take pictures, but I want to make sure I get good pictures. I don't know what to play with or how to set things up. I can't see the difference between the 5MP pictures and the 34MP pictures on my laptop, Surface, or 1020. I tested this out with numerous photos.

Hoping you guys can help me. Thanks everyone!

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

When you open the pictures folder on the phone once its connected to the PC, you will see a highres and pro_highres file - one shows the picture the other one shows a default windows image file icon. that is typically 8-12MB in size compared to the 500 kb - 1mb highres image. If you copy these pro files to your pc and open them up, you will see its the 41 mp shots and captures a lot more detail. on the phone these might look fuzzy because the screen cannot fully display all the info captured in the images. Opening them in 're-frame' mode and you can keep zooming in

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
But how come the two picture files, the highres and pro_highres look exactly the same on my laptop? If I zoom into the same spot and compare them side by side, they look identical. The fuzzy noise is the same in both pictures. It doesn't seem like there is a point to taking the highres pictures when the low res ones look just the same.

ivanarellano

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey I think I can answer.

Both 5MP and 34MP should appear near identical, though the 5MP version is usually sharper due to the oversampling technique Nokia uses. The differences are there. The 34MP version can make larger prints, btw remember to use the free poster sized voucher, and it gives you much more photo editing leverage, lets not forget the advertised 'zoom later' feature. If you can edit on a desktop, you'll want to pull in the 34MP files for the best quality. DNG has pros/cons and I believe that's best saved for a later talk when you've gotten a grip on basics.

Setting the camera to 5MP only vs. 5MP+34MP will not make a performance difference. Reason being that the 34MP version is always made to create the oversampled 5MP photo. It's for photo quality sakes.

Have you set the automatic OneDrive upload to "On" or 'Best Quality'? It's in the photos app settings, somewhere. The pictures upload into a Camera Roll folder.

Lots to learn here! Try the simulator. :)
Canon Explains Exposure

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking through these threads and the web and can't seem to find the help I need. I have a 1020 and have had it for roughly 5 months now. I'm confused by a few things.

1. When I take a 5MP picture then switch the settings to a 5MP+34MP JPEG, the two pictures look identical on my phone as well as on my computer. The high res one is no different or less fuzzy than the 5MP one. Is it work it to leave the high settings on or should I just shoot with 5MP settings on? I'm no photographer by any means. I didn't get the phone for the camera and I don't have a very good understanding of how it works. I got the phone for the battery over the 920 and because it weighed less.

2. When putting photos on my laptop (Windows 7) is there an easy way to automatically get the photos to sync to my OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer?

3. Does anyone know of a website that has a lot of tutorials on the 1020 camera or a good explanation of the phone so I can use it to it's full potential? I've had it for months and I just feel I'm not getting everything I could out of it. Basically, because I now have the camera, it makes me want to take pictures, but I want to make sure I get good pictures. I don't know what to play with or how to set things up. I can't see the difference between the 5MP pictures and the 34MP pictures on my laptop, Surface, or 1020. I tested this out with numerous photos.

Hoping you guys can help me. Thanks everyone!

Take a look at this thread regarding 34MP and 5MP images: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mera-after-saving-process-ruining-result.html

nerdyniko

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I need help too. I took great pictures of my sister's baby shower. But when printed out the pictures, they looked horrible! Grainy and bad resolution. Did I do something wrong? Is there software I need to print highres pics off my 1020? The images look awesome on my PC, but awful and embarrassing when printed out. Felt kind of disappointed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99