The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    More (much more!) about the Samsung Galaxy S5 – compared with the Nokia Lumia 1020 | PureView Club

But so far I have never seen any Android camera come this close to – or (to be completely honest) even surpass – Nokia’s PureView technology. You’ll find all original shots from this post on Flickr. Please have a look at those and tell me what you think.

I’m still not done testing of course, but after this comparison I must admit I’m really impressed with what Samsung has been doing with the camera of the new Galaxy S5. In fact, I have the impression it’s the first real contender since I started the PureViewClub. Coming from me, that’s a compliment :-)

I just wasn't expecting this, i had S4 and Note 3 before and i know what Samsung can do with their cameras but this looks too good, and unreal to me. I can't believe what Samsung achieved with 16MP sensor.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by Emix1988; 04-14-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    04-14-2014 06:31 AM
    To be honest it's good.
    But there's always "but". Light conditions were perfect, most cameras can come clean in those. Yet all those s5 pictures are feeling weird for me. It's like heavy noise reduction filter was applied and it kills most of subtle details. But hey, it's just my opinion.
    In the end you cannot bypass the rules. 1020 has bigger sensor, more pixels, OIS and those bigger pictures suffer less from cropping. You can't escape that with software no matter how much you try.
    04-14-2014 03:38 PM
    Not gonna lie, it's pretty impressive. It's a shame there weren't any pictures in less ideal situations. That's where the differences really start to show the most.
    04-14-2014 09:50 PM
    I've said it before here and I'll say it again--it is a matter of when, not if good cameras are coming to all high end smartphones. The pureview just got there first. I find that my view of the world is forever changed by always having a good camera in my pocket.
    04-14-2014 10:29 PM
    Time for Nokia to have something stunning again, since all competitors are already reaching what Pureview can do.
    04-15-2014 03:11 AM
    To be honest it's good.
    But there's always "but". Light conditions were perfect, most cameras can come clean in those. Yet all those s5 pictures are feeling weird for me. It's like heavy noise reduction filter was applied and it kills most of subtle details. But hey, it's just my opinion.
    In the end you cannot bypass the rules. 1020 has bigger sensor, more pixels, OIS and those bigger pictures suffer less from cropping. You can't escape that with software no matter how much you try.
    Yep I agree here. The true test of a camera is its ability to handle low light, with the risk of repeating the above, a photo taken with an 8MPx sensor on Auto can take a stunning picture (look at the HTC One X and S3) on a beautiful sunny day, but take some pics at dusk, sa party or a gig, then it shows its weaknesses.

Im sure the S5 is fantastic, but I could never part with my 1020 and even worse.. go back to Android.
    04-15-2014 03:13 AM
    Take some indoors and low light photos and then we'll be really comparing them. Even one of the Note 3 shots he took on his Flickr account looks better than one of the 1020 shots. I have a Note 3 and that camera sucks IMO. The Achilles heel for most cell phone cameras is low light.

The best thing about the Lumia 1020 is its consistency.
    04-15-2014 03:45 AM
    Time for Nokia to have something stunning again, since all competitors are already reaching what Pureview can do.
    No their really not, seriously i know people want a Nokia 1030 or whatever but in truth the competition is still far from making a camera phone anywhere near the 1020. Of course in perfect conditions most camera's will perform well and will probably be enough for most people.

Of course a 1020 successor with a even better camera would be great but really it needs other things more importantly like a faster processor and higher res more accurate screen and sd card slot and bigger battery.
    04-15-2014 04:59 AM
    No their really not, seriously i know people want a Nokia 1030 or whatever but in truth the competition is still far from making a camera phone anywhere near the 1020. Of course in perfect conditions most camera's will perform well and will probably be enough for most people.

Of course a 1020 successor with a even better camera would be great but really it needs other things more importantly like a faster processor and higher res more accurate screen and sd card slot and bigger battery.
    Aye, I agree. The only thing stopping me from getting a 1020 is the size, though. I can deal with the processor and screen issues and I always carry a portable battery pack. But the size and the hump.... dealbreaker.
    04-15-2014 05:06 AM
    I agree with most of the things you guys said BUT there is but here too. :)

Question is how many ppl are using their smartphone cameras for taking pics in low light conditions? I mean i know that 1020 can do little better than this, specially with RAW and custom settings, not auto. But how many ppl will really do that with smartphone camera?? I do that, but when i look back i don't do it that often, i usually open camera app and take a pic on auto settings, that's it!

What i'm trying to say is that not many ppl will use their smartphone with custom settings and "waste" time on that, fast capture is what is important when it comes to smartphone cameras and Samsung did great job with S5 on auto settings. When i open PVC Flick and look at those pics on my TV, all S5 pics look better to me, maybe 1020 won in just one case and that's it.
    Samsung did amazing job for what smartphone cameras are meant to be, it opens fast, AF is fast, it takes pictures fast, and it's doing amazing job on Auto.

I am not saying that 1020 lost here, but just look how much time it took for Nokia to fix 1020 camera and to make it what it is today with Black, S5 was released few days ago...
    04-15-2014 05:40 AM
    Question is how many ppl are using their smartphone cameras for taking pics in low light conditions?
    I do :) most of my pictures are made in the pub :D That is where it makes the difference :D
    buxz777 likes this.
    04-15-2014 07:19 AM
    Holy moly, when I was looking at this shots on my phone I was concerned. Now - not even close.
    Samsung's noise supressor is out of hand and overall the comparison on the pureview site is pretty clueless.
    Yes, Samsung camera is good. Not gonna lie, I'm surprised how good it is. But even in a perfect situation it's still losing to 1020. And yes, OP, a lot of people use their cameras in low light conditions and indoor. It might be a big surpise for you, but in some countries people have to deal with low amount of light 8-10 months a year.
    The saddest part of all this is that Nokia can do better. Their 1020 firware is lackluster since day one, processed 33 mpix pics are still blurry and wb is often way off in lowlight situations.
    1020 is a technical miracle, but they realy need to step up in firmware developement.
    04-15-2014 07:55 AM
    Well it's not that S5 gives unusable low light pictures, they are not great because with that sensor they can't be but they are not bad. And for indoor shoots flash can be used.
    04-15-2014 08:20 AM
    Samsung’s Galaxy S5 has plenty of upgrades—so why does it feel so meh? | Ars Technica
    Check out the lowlight performance comparison. If Sams doesnt want to make bigger sensor and lenses, they at least could use an IOS.
    buxz777 likes this.
    04-15-2014 09:04 AM
    ive read that article and been reading up about the new isocell sensor Samsung have built , ive also been trawling through android central and xda looking at photo samples and yes the s5 takes great pics in the daytime , in great light , however when the skys turn grey or the shooting goes indoors then the detail becomes smudged like an oil painting and movement blurs

now for me I much prefer the quality , the pureness , the ois , the xenon flash , the rich recording , the crop later , the oversampling of the 1020 and would rather have this quality over a fast camera that can only produce good shots in the daytime etc ...... I personally think that the 920/925 takes better night time pics then the s5 and the 920 is quite old now

to be honest I do think the s5 is a step in the right direction , its got a slightly larger sensor , 6 lenses , new sensor tech , great auto focus , is fast to use but its missing the features I have listed above which help in every day useage and make the camera a complete camera and not just a mobile phone day time camera only

for example let me explain

rich recording -- have you ever tried taking a video ina loud party with a galaxy device --- its terrible the audio is useless and you may as well watch it in silence compared to a Lumia phone with rich recording

xenon flash -- for when there is too much movement in shots to lower the shutter speed we can freeze time and get a useable crystal clear shot --- the s5 will be a blur of movement and half the shot the 1020 will produce

larger sensor and ois -- well this gives is the ability to slow down the shutter speed handheld if we want to take a great pic of say an illuminated building at night and still get a great clear shot with lots of detail --- the s5 is going to show every shake you make when taking that picture and it wont be half as good as the 1020

oversampling -- the 1020 will pump out a very clear 5mp image that is smaller in size the the s5s yet will probably beat it in terms of noise , pureness , natural look due to less sharpening in the jpeg processing

crop later -- any 1020 user will tell you that it is so handy to re-frame your picture after you've taken one and that there are always pics inside pics and this is a great feature of the 1020 -- with the s5 having a smaller sensor , not as good optics and less pixels to play with your going to be limited on the cropping and reframing you do later

in my humble opinion I think the s5 is a great mobile phone daytime camera that can produce stunning results in the perfect conditions ..... the 1020 is a proper camera with proper camera hardware that not olny lets you get creative with manual controls but because of the hardware it contains it is also a much more versatile camera and takes it out of the bounds of a daytime mobile phone camera and into a versatile go anywhere and still get a decent shot camera ;-)

for sure let us enjoy the s5 pics but lets not get carried away here .... the reason I love the 1020 camera is the versatility of getting a great shot anytime ..... the reason I would ahte the s5 camera is the limiting factor of not being able to get a decent shot in some conditions ..... I wont be swapping to a s5 anytime soon

and for the user that said everyone is catching up with the 1020 ..... yes a little in ideal conditions but again none can offer the versatility of the 1020 or 808
    04-15-2014 12:52 PM
    Can the Galaxy S5 do the following?

1. Being able to capture a wider field-of-view (i.e. a bigger frame)?
    2. Being able to capture something at a greater zoom magnification?
    3. Being able to do (1) and (2) above simultaneously within the SAME image?
    4. Being able to take great images even in extreme lowlight conditions?
    5. Being able to do (4) even without requiring a tripod?
    6. Being able to "freeze" movements in lowlight conditions?
    7. Being able to take well-stabilized videos?
    8. Being able to record rich, high quality audio?

As far as I know, the S5 can do NONE of the above. So the question of coming close does not even arise. How can we talk about the distance when they are not even in the same race?
    04-15-2014 12:57 PM
    Aye, I agree. The only thing stopping me from getting a 1020 is the size, though. I can deal with the processor and screen issues and I always carry a portable battery pack. But the size and the hump.... dealbreaker.
    The hump isn't too bad and it isn't that huge either....if you put a case on it's even less 'bothering'
    buxz777 likes this.
    04-15-2014 02:36 PM
    The hump isn't too bad and it isn't that huge either....if you put a case on it's even less 'bothering'
    I am with you completely , its hardly a big phone and the hump is there for quality optics and big sensor , the s5 camera sticks out and its not got half as much hardware underneath it ;-) I irks me a lil bit when people moan about the little hump on the 1020 and its because of people wanting tiny slim phones with no humps that we are getting 100s of android slabs released each year with poor battery , poor camera and just increased screen size and resolution and cpu/gpu bumps ...... if peoples mindsets moved from slim is best , to , we can fit more tech and gadgets and quality hardware in if the device is a tad bit thicker then we would all be winners ..... the makers of phones because they wouldn't have to build to an tiny slim profile or get ripped by the media for building a ''fat'' phone and us the users because we would get more battery and better tech like bigger sensors , better ois , brighter xenon flashes etc etc ..... as you say jojoe the hump on the 1020 is exaggerated and its there for a dam good reason well 41 million reasons as nokia would say ;-)
    04-15-2014 03:03 PM

I would think it would obviously come with cpu/gpu/screen/memory/battery upgrades ........ that goes without saying ...... what id like too see is a bigger sensor with the same 41mp so we get bigger pixels for even better night performance ...... couple that with improved ois ..... brighter cleaner xenon with slow sync and red eye reduction ...... nd filter for helping slow down shutter in bright light ..... mhl connection for usb in .... more mics and better rich recording like the 1520 and I think we would be looking at a great 1020 successor to carry on the crown and I don't think them specs are unrealistic ...... the only thing could be maybe thickness with the bigger sensor ...... who knows ey ....... I do know I love my 1020 though it makes a great go everywhere camera and gives results that all of us will appreciate in 10 years time when we are looking through our pics ;-) can the same be said for night time shots or action shots in dim light with the s5 ...... I don't think so unfortunately :-/
    04-15-2014 03:13 PM
    The S5 is in the 1520, Z2, lg2pro category.. 1020 and 808 are out of reach.

This situation has been reoccurring since 2010 when Nokia launched the N8. Every new android flagship would come out and someone will proclaim that its better than the Nokia device, or it came "close enough".. and the real situation was also always the same.. all of the new andro flagship could come close to the N8s capabilities in certain conditions, but overall.. no contest.

Today I could say that those android flaghips are on Nokia N8 levels in a broader sense, even better in certain cases, but to say that they can compete with the 1020/808 is silly. Just look at the Z2... they are now, 4 1/2 years later, using the full sensor and have lossless zoom during video... 4 years.. this is pretty much how far behind the competition is.

My only worry is what happens now once Microsoft take the wheel. Is that brilliant imaging team at Nokia still intact ? Or are more key people, such as D. Dinning leaving ? Can they sustain the advantage ?

We will have to wait and see. I am sure that there are ongoing projects that are in the pipeline already...
    jojoe42 and weaksauce27 like this.
    04-15-2014 03:36 PM