Any news about a Lumia 1020 successor?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
An update to the SOC will also improve the image quality thanks to a more powerful DSP, which is why the 1520 does so well when it comes to stills.

But I don't think that they will do that.. its been a while since Nokia released an updated version of any of their models.

Glyn-G

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm very interested to know when we might expect a 1020 sucessor. My current 808 has died recently after a lot of battering and DIY repairs I've put it through. I'll probably buy another 808 to replace it, but if a 1020 successor could be a few months away I might wait.

How likely is it that a 1020 successor would have a MicroSD slot though? I'm not really keeping up with how much Nokia is using them on it's newer phones but hasn't Windows 8.1 made MicroSD cards a little more useful now or something? I would only ever buy a new mobile if it had a MicroSD slot. I want a minimum of 192Gb locally on my mobile and would happily pay for 256Gb if Nokia released a 128Gb version.

Ani_P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel there shouldn't be a successor for this phone yet.

No other phone has this camera and Nokia shouldn't just do refreshes.

I would prefer a much much faster phone with a whole new architecture or maybe just ridiculously faster processor and another more powerful sensor (upgrade from the 1020) and then release it as one powerful package instead of just mild upgrades to existing tech.

Ideally it should release with Win Phone 9, a very advanced mobile soc for that year maybe in 2015-16 and everything else like kinect maybe etc

rush2abhijeet

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Or all they could do is some firmware/software wizardry and get the shot to shot times within a second....overtime the hardware cost becomes lesser and more people try this monster sensor and realise what they were missing...bait them into the fold and then offer an upgrade....or else its only the current niche of loyalists who will upgrade

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I still wished that Nokia should've included an additional camera processor (similar to the HTC 8X) for the 1020 if that might have helped with the overall camera performance (the HTC 8X has a ridiculously fast camera which does take nice photos) but again I'm not from Nokia neither do i know if Nokia already tested that option

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I still wished that Nokia should've included an additional camera processor (similar to the HTC 8X) for the 1020 if that might have helped with the overall camera performance (the HTC 8X has a ridiculously fast camera which does take nice photos) but again I'm not from Nokia neither do i know if Nokia already tested that option

That requires the OS to support that, if WP8.1 do not support an extra cpu to only take care of the photos then you cant just put it in, so they need to get that feature incorporated together with Microsoft

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That requires the OS to support that, if WP8.1 do not support an extra cpu to only take care of the photos then you cant just put it in, so they need to get that feature incorporated together with Microsoft
The HTC 8X has it so yes the OS supports it

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Whole lotta nothing... which is sad because there's a whole lot of opportunities they missed with the 1020.

I'd LOVE to see a Lumia 1025 with the following changes:
• 2000mAh battery bumped up to 2420mAh
• 1280x768 AMOLED ditched for a more accurate, less power-hungry 1920x1080 IPSLCD display
• Ditch the dual-core Snapdragon S4 for a quad-core 801 (or 805)
• Center the lens in the camera island, integrate a ring adapter so it could accept filters/lenses and be a true rival to DSLRs
• Update to Bluetooth 4.0
• Mandatory 64GB internal+expansion slot (the fact that they gave us such a high quality camera without expansion in the first place is absolutely senseless)
• More squarish chassis (if you've snapped pics on a Lumia Icon you already know that the squarish design works wonders for grip)
• Even out the bezel so the freaking screen centers in landscape! Fat bottom lips in these Lumias drive me insane.

About the only thing I'd like to see kept is the 4.5in screen... combined with a 1080p panel, that would be killer pixel density.

Last edited:

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I secretly hope that they wait until 2015 before introducing a successor....because if they do anytime now, I think I would be force to upgrade already, again. Lol

Kidding aside, upgraded processor, battery, and 1080P screen is enough for me (hardware)

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I have a 8X and trust me, the camera isn't that good. The camera of my 925 is way better, especially when shooting sunsets and night pictures. I think it was too sensitive to light. I even compared some sunset pictures to pictures taken with a Galaxy S2, and the Galaxy pictures were better too (the bright light is too bright because of 8X's sensitivity). I might still have both of those pictures, so if you are interested, let me know, and I will post them.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a 8X and trust me, the camera isn't that good. The camera of my 925 is way better, especially when shooting sunsets and night pictures. I think it was too sensitive to light. I even compared some sunset pictures to pictures taken with a Galaxy S2, and the Galaxy pictures were better too (the bright light is too bright because of 8X's sensitivity). I might still have both of those pictures, so if you are interested, let me know, and I will post them.

Well the co processor in the 8X is not there for shooting better quality pictures only but to shoot them faster by increasing the overall speed. Now the only issue with the 1020 is picture processing speed hence having that extra co processor might have helped

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
If these are real, they seem better than the 1020 .. but I would wait for a proper test before passing further judgment

[Comparison] OnePlus One camera against Find 5 and a DSLR! - OnePlus Forums

[Photomania] OnePlus One Camera Photos In Their Full Resolution Glory - OnePlus Forums

gsm arena covered that earlier in the week vlad mate , does the dslr have exif data? from the comments section on the gsm arena page it seemed like exif data was missing from them shots? id be very very surprised if such a small sensor that has been used by others can produce results better then the 1020 in perfect sunlight let alone night time and low light shots ;-)

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to get a 1030. I skipped the 1020 because 768p is not high enough of a resolution to hide PenTile's checkerboard effect from my eyes, so the screen looks terrible to me. I waited with a 900 for the 1020 to come out and then ended up just getting a 920 after all. This generation the high ends ones are 1080p so I'm not worried about that happening again. I just hope they don't skimp on the screen like they did with the 930/Icon, so Glance will work. And Qi, even if it's a cover like the 1020, would be good. I just want an upgrade that doesn't feel like a downgrade half the time.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
gsm arena covered that earlier in the week vlad mate , does the dslr have exif data? from the comments section on the gsm arena page it seemed like exif data was missing from them shots? id be very very surprised if such a small sensor that has been used by others can produce results better then the 1020 in perfect sunlight let alone night time and low light shots ;-)

I checked all of them.. no EXIF data.. no iso, no fstop, no model name.. nothing. I am also very surprised by the IQ on this.. if that Sony sensor can produce such detail and low noise at that size then.. I don't even know why Sony bother using 1" sensors in their mirrorless cameras.

They can just use photos from another device and say otherwise, could they ? That's just silly

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I checked all of them.. no EXIF data.. no iso, no fstop, no model name.. nothing. I am also very surprised by the IQ on this.. if that Sony sensor can produce such detail and low noise at that size then.. I don't even know why Sony bother using 1" sensors in their mirrorless cameras.

They can just use photos from another device and say otherwise, could they ? That's just silly

I think a few have been caught doing it vlad even nokia with the 920 low light shots and ois videos ...... it would be great too see some more really good camera phones hit the market and push nokia further but I just cant see it from this little sensor that is also on the oppo 7 , surely they haven't got that good at software to make this little lens perform so so good?

from the test shots though it certainly does look like it is doing a great job in the right light , it still doesn't have oversampling , rich recording , ois , xenon flash etc so no way will it be as versatile as phones like the 808 and 1020 even if the day time shots really are that good ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05