Camera software difference

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey, just tried to take some photos on auto settings with Nokia pro camera and the 8.1 stock camera on low light indoors. Only thing I changed was the preset on stock camera to night mode. The difference was very notable. The picture taken with Nokia pro cam was much more blurry and grainy. Where the picture taken with stock one was very sharp and very good light levels with it. To me it seems that at least on low light shooting the stock camera does better work if you don't want to mess with the manual controls.
Any other similar experiences?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey, just tried to take some photos on auto settings with Nokia pro camera and the 8.1 stock camera on low light indoors. Only thing I changed was the preset on stock camera to night mode. The difference was very notable. The picture taken with Nokia pro cam was much more blurry and grainy. Where the picture taken with stock one was very sharp and very good light levels with it. To me it seems that at least on low light shooting the stock camera does better work if you don't want to mess with the manual controls.
Any other similar experiences?

yes...that's true.Stock camera is from microsoft.I think they have changed the algorithms...better colors from nokia camera, sharper, clearer pics.Still missing basic functions though....no shutter speed control, no zoom, no focus control.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Aye, same here. But for now it seems that Nokia pro camera isn't obvious choice for every situation. Perhaps Cyan update will ramp up the capability of Nokia camera :)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
to be honest I haven't updated my firmware to 8.1 for the camera on the 1020 alone ....... I was thinking the 8.1 update is a general firmware available to all phones with all kinds of cameras , now wouldn't the nokia firmware that sits on top of the 8.1 update contain all the nokia 1020 camera goodies??

I was worried if I updated to 8.1 my camera/nokia camera wouldn't work as well , things like oversampling might not be as good etc etc because the update isn't device specific

what do others think? has anyone notriced their nokia camera on the 1020 has got worse since 8.1? does the 8.1 upgrade get rid of black features? are the camera goodies contained in the nokia firmware or in the app for the 1020?

some interesting questions and plenty to think about , id be interested if anyone has any solid ideas rather then guess work as I can gues myself lol ;-)

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
to be honest I haven't updated my firmware to 8.1 for the camera on the 1020 alone ....... I was thinking the 8.1 update is a general firmware available to all phones with all kinds of cameras , now wouldn't the nokia firmware that sits on top of the 8.1 update contain all the nokia 1020 camera goodies??

I was worried if I updated to 8.1 my camera/nokia camera wouldn't work as well , things like oversampling might not be as good etc etc because the update isn't device specific

what do others think? has anyone notriced their nokia camera on the 1020 has got worse since 8.1? does the 8.1 upgrade get rid of black features? are the camera goodies contained in the nokia firmware or in the app for the 1020?

some interesting questions and plenty to think about , id be interested if anyone has any solid ideas rather then guess work as I can gues myself lol ;-)

The firmware is not changed with the update. 8.1 is an OS update only. Cyan is the firmware update. Your device will continue to run the same firmware as prior to install 8.1 (most likely Black).

Camera-wise, I have not noticed any different using Nokia Camera prior to the 8.1 update vs after. However, the default Microsoft Camera update has been significantly improved.

As to whether or not the Stock camera app uses oversampling - I am not certain on this, but I believe it does use some form of oversampling. There is definitely something taking place to scale a significantly larger picture down to the smaller image that it saves. I have a feeling that this actually takes place on the firmware level. So any application gets the "oversampling" - but a special function is called by the Nokia Camera application to store the 34MP images.

I could be wrong though - I bet RiseUpGames (developer of ProShot) knows more about that.

Mike Lyne

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
@buxz777 I created a thread about just this topic some time ago - you'd definitely be smart to wait for Nokia to update the firmware, from my experience. My crops (and that's "crops" mind you, not reframing) are much much worse quality on wp 8.1 - to the point where I'm not sure there's any oversampling happening at all. I have a thread with some pics as examples posted on here somewhere, for reference. I'd definitely advise waiting. I wish I had.

Last edited:

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You should try Nokia Camera beta. I noticed it takes far less yellow photos as the jpeg algorithm has been adjusted. 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb