03-29-2016 05:57 PM
54 123
tools
    i am suffering from the exact same problem! using whatsapp drains my battery like anything! discharge rates go up to 12% per hour! while idle...this rate goes down to 2%...dont know why such variations...never happened before!
    I have a normal usage of 10% per hour. I will test this solution here, when the battery is "empty".
    Maybe i should send the 1020 back to amazon and wait for the L930 that have maybe a better battery runtime =/ but not these cool camera
    06-24-2014 03:43 AM
    TBH, this is the first time I see something different about a battery drain thread, every time someone posts this he tells us to turn off everything, and it solved his battery drain, well not this one.

to summarize his approach, the only new trick here is that, leaving the phone 10 - 15 minutes after it told you its out, will actually give you more juice available. I have to say WOW, how didn't anyone find this one.

Great Job I must say.. thank you man, im trying this today, im gonna kill my battery. :D

Edit Post: why wont this work, if you just turn off your phone at any point? can anyone elaborate?
    06-24-2014 03:55 AM
    TBH, this is the first time I see something different about a battery drain thread, every time someone posts this he tells us to turn off everything, and it solved his battery drain, well not this one.

to summarize his approach, the only new trick here is that, leaving the phone 10 - 15 minutes after it told you its out, will actually give you more juice available. I have to say WOW, how didn't anyone find this one.

Great Job I must say.. thank you man, im trying this today, im gonna kill my battery. :D

Edit Post: why wont this work, if you just turn off your phone at any point? can anyone elaborate?
    Not my set thought. When the battery is flat, it is really flat. It will not turn on no matter how long I waited for. Anyways, after all these charging and discharging cycles, the estimated remaining time shown on the battery saver is 1 day 7 hours. Not sure if there are any improvements or not....
    06-24-2014 08:03 AM
    I am happy for you if I could help you! It simply won't work because the only way to recalibrate the battery is by charging and discharging. turning off your phone does not have any impact. when you switch it off you have i.e. 50% and after turning back it back on may 49% (or something different because it calculates a wrong percentage because of the false calibration). So it really needs to be discharged to 0!! (when the phone is dead) and then to 100 again (and let it there for another hour). This is the only way to tell your phone when its empty and full and the rest makes the phone :)
    06-24-2014 02:06 PM
    I have just sent my 1020 off to get repaired, but this is the first thing i will do when I get it back!
    If this works, you deserve a medal!
    06-25-2014 04:23 PM
    I'll try to do this method on my 720 :)
    06-25-2014 04:26 PM
    Mine stucked at 100% for about 9 hours of standby since overcharge up to 1,hour as the instruction given above. Then when it reach 99%, it drops 1% every 20 seconds of using.. Now i got 3 cycles of discharging method
    06-25-2014 11:17 PM
    yeah! the 1020 camera is like no other...wud b so hard to part ways with it! but no use of such a wondeful camera if the battery drains out so quick!
    06-25-2014 11:59 PM
    Mine stucked at 100% for about 9 hours of standby since overcharge up to 1,hour as the instruction given above. Then when it reach 99%, it drops 1% every 20 seconds of using.. Now i got 3 cycles of discharging method
    1% per 20s of usage??! Are you playing games? That's really bad imo.
    06-27-2014 08:14 AM
    1% per 20s of usage??! Are you playing games? That's really bad imo.
    Surfing through i.e. Browsing really kills my phone so bad. I dont think that was normal. Playing games also.and it feels like i have one hot coffee in my hand.
    06-27-2014 11:16 PM
    This method really help me specially overcharging up to one hour. Battery lasts long than normal charging.
    06-27-2014 11:37 PM
    Will sure try this..but worried as a complete battery drain imo is not advisable bt to hell with that.
    06-28-2014 12:04 AM
    I already done it 4 times and it shows improvements. So i decided it to stop coz overcharging many times may not be advisable, and start it again by normal charging. But the problem comes back! Wrong calculations of percentage occurs again and drain so fast while moderate using even without internet Connections. My question is how many times overcharging will be applied?
    06-28-2014 04:59 AM
    I already done it 4 times and it shows improvements. So i decided it to stop coz overcharging many times may not be advisable, and start it again by normal charging. But the problem comes back! Wrong calculations of percentage occurs again and drain so fast while moderate using even without internet Connections. My question is how many times overcharging will be applied?
    I think the wrong info provided by the battery status is a serious bug. Not sure if it is fixed in WP8.1 though. Can't imagine MS allows this to happen even on WP8.
    06-28-2014 09:53 PM
    It was never accurate. The phone can only estimate it by the voltage, and the user's usage patterns... WP have the tendency to shut down before the battery 🔋 bar reach zero as to not harm the battery.

It's a matter of increasing the accuracy of the estimation, but it will not be 100% accurate.
    06-28-2014 10:10 PM
    06-29-2014 01:05 AM
    22% per hour while browsing. With all apps allowed in background. Idle for about 2-4%
    06-29-2014 05:16 AM
    Nice post Julian_C. You put it into very understandable terms. For a more technical explanation, here's a heavily modified post I made a while back:

Pay no attention to the specific numbers in this post, they are very specific per device and battery. I do not know the exact specification of the 1020 and made them up off the top of my head.

Some Points to Observe:
    1. Your device reads a voltage from the battery.
    2. The battery was built to output between 0 and 4.2V.
    3. Ideally, this means that 0% = 0V and 100% = 4.2V. When it is charged, it will output 4.2V, and that value will decrease the more it is used.
    4. Realistically, your phone was designed to run at 3.7V. It will still function with variations though.
    5. The circuit board on your phone will not function at all below 2V.
    6. The battery itself will be damaged if it is below 1V.
    7. The battery knows that last point. If it is below 1.8V, it will tell the phone it has 0V and will shut off to protect itself.
    8. Your phone has a safety circuit that knows the last 3 points. In order to protect itself and the battery, it will shut off entirely at 2.5V
    9. Your operating system doesn't really know the exact points for those events. It just has a general idea. So it will shutdown with that low battery alert around 3.2V and will not boot up.
    10. Your operating system also doesn't know what voltage is 100%, and your battery was not built exactly the same as the ideal battery, plus your battery may be a few months old!
    11. That last point means: When you first got it, 4.18V was actually 100%. But now that it's been used a lot, 4.01V is now 100%. The last time your phone was fully charged, it reached 100% at 4.11V.
    12. The next time you charge your phone, the battery will stop accepting charge at 4.01V and your phone will say "Oh, 100% is now 4.01V."
    13. BUT! As batteries discharge, they don't follow a linear path. It's a curve that accelerates downward as the battery discharges. So now, it's going to discharge faster! Also, you haven't let it die in a long time.
    14. That last point means your operating system has very little idea of when your battery will actually be dead, and it has to guess how fast it will discharge!

To summarize:
    • While you're charging your phone, it may say 99% for a longer time that other numbers. Why is that? Because it was expecting to reach 100% at 4.0V but instead it kept accepting charge. When it stops accepting charge, that's when its full!
    • Your phone seems to hold charge at 90% for years, but then plummets after! Why is that? Well, most phones don't take into account that a battery's voltage will go down faster the weaker the charge they hold (example). In my opinion, Windows Phone tries to take this into account. That means 80% should last about as long as 50% and about as long as 20%. But it won't be perfect, and it will make it seem like it's draining faster than older phones that don't take this into account!
    • Your phone doesn't know what 0% is! It will try to guess each time you drain your phone, but the more you drain your phone, the more you damage its capacity.

My recommendations:
    • Prioritize keeping your phone's battery between 70% and 80%, and keep it's temperature cool (not really discussed above). This will maximize its life and minimize wear. Unfortunately, it may mean your battery gauge is not calibrated. But who cares? It's just a number that will never be 100% accurate! Let it keep guessing, and work with what you have. If you do this, you'll keep a roughly 5-15% deviation. No big deal to me.
    • Don't leave the battery at 100% for too long, but don't worry about charging it to 100%! It's way better than leaving it at 0%.
    • Don't let your battery reach 0% often. If you really want to calibrate the meter here and there, or if you can't get to a charger, a few times is not going to have much of a long-term effect. But doing it on a regular, and frequent, basis will cause long-term damage.
    • I didn't get into it, but extreme temperature damage the battery. Prioritize keeping it slightly below room temperature for ideal conditions. That may mean stopping your games/gps/other power intensive apps that overheat the battery.
    • Along those lines, rapid charging and rapid discharging damages the battery long-term. So if you use your device as a hard-core gaming device, you will have poor battery life, and it will only help degrade the battery. If you charge your phone with a 4A charger, you will similarly damage the battery long-term (will not be noticeable for a while though!)

I'll re-read this later, my brains a little scattered and this took longer to type than I anticipated, but I hope it helps someone. Thanks again for starting this thread Julian_C!

Also, disclaimer: The above is based on my knowledge and experimentation. I am a recent graduate of Electrical Engineering, and am far from an expert. Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong! I make no claim of accuracy in my statements.

How would you suggest we go about calibrating our batteries?
    06-29-2014 08:40 AM
    22% per hour while browsing. With all apps allowed in background. Idle for about 2-4%
    mine has the exact same problem...discharge rate while using whastapp reaches 22% and while the phone is idle...it stays below 3%...! although this re-calibration has improved the battery life a little...but its not like it was before this problem appeared...even moderate usage gives 18 hrs of battery life!
    06-29-2014 10:24 AM
    wp_ss_20140630_0001-1-.png
    This is the problem with my lumia 1020
    after updating it to windows 8.1
    my phone it self is using the most of my battery and increasing its draing speed
    my battery discharge speed increased suddenly one day from 2.34% to 6.93%
    every thing in the background task is off.
    but after so many unresponsive tries i am posting this
    can any body give me some suggestion to solve it
    06-30-2014 02:47 AM
    Tried this but my phone did not turn back on after hitting zero.
    06-30-2014 05:16 AM
    About 8 months since I have got the Lumia 1020, every day from 7.00 to 18.00 o'clock the battery will remain from 100% to 70%.

I tried to "hard reset" many times, it does not matter.

But this week after I send it to a Nokia Care (for claiming Mic), the battery remain from 100% to 99% at 18.00 o'clock with similar Apps, same usage and the same version of FW (WP8.1 Developer Preview).

This is amazing for me and I think it must be something that Nokia did not tell us.
    08-07-2014 04:47 AM
    About 8 months since I have got the Lumia 1020, every day from 7.00 to 18.00 o'clock the battery will remain from 100% to 70%.

I tried to "hard reset" many times, it does not matter.

But this week after I send it to a Nokia Care (for claiming Mic), the battery remain from 100% to 99% at 18.00 o'clock with similar Apps, same usage and the same version of FW (WP8.1 Developer Preview).

This is amazing for me and I think it must be something that Nokia did not tell us.
    How they repaired your phone if you installed 8.1 preview for developer? They say installing pfd may Nullify warranty.
    08-07-2014 08:31 AM
    08-07-2014 08:32 AM
    Hi, i just bought a Lumia 1020 and i did try following ur advice. My phone did switch off after a full drain and wen i tried to switch it back on it dint. So put it to charge again. I had already charged my phone about 5 times before i read this post of urs. Do i still proceed? My battery lasted me 5 hours with full wifi, no battery saver, i listened to songs for about half an hour, was whatsapping full time and even edited one or 2 pics on my lumia camera.
    10-23-2014 12:15 PM
54 123