Get 1020 now or wait for 8.1 devices?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Quick summary, I had a Lumia 920 for about 9 months last year and LOVED it but it had 2 drawbacks.

#1 after the GDR2 update the camera/picture quality diminished, what once was the centre stage of showing off my photos to people (everyone was blown away) turned into a lot of blur and discoloration, very saddening and frustrating since it was my fav feature on the phone.

#2 Battery drain, which seems to still be an issue with all WP8 devices...even after the 8.1 update (for some A LOT worse). I could get past the battery drain since I am around avaliable charging at work and home, its more annoying than anything...since my iPhone 5s on idle can go 2 days without a sweat (this includes notifications and syncing with multiple apps).

November 2013 comes and HW upgrade available. Instead of going with the 1020 at the time, i choose a iPhone 5S since i havent had one since the 3G and figured the resale value will cover a new phone. While the iPhone 5S has some amazing features like Touch ID (works flawlessly), stable OS and battery, nice mini classy design, it doesn't do a lot of the things i miss about WP...and with all the new WP8.1 features im pretty sold.

Situation:
- 930 is way too big of a phone, similar size (even slightly bigger) than S4 which i find uncomfortable. 920 was a little bigger than i wanted but worked well, i dont want anything bigger.
- That 41mp camera! my gosh i saw some pictures a guy at work took with his 1020, glorious!
- I know Nokia has some unannounced phones, however I'm in Canada and our choices are very limited (right now we only have the option of 1020, 625 and 520). Does anyone know if there's a planned Nokia event that will announce phones?
- People on these forums complain the 1020 processor is slow, even with 2GB ram...i found the 920 sufficient and that had 1GB ram. Why is the 1020 so slow?

I put an AD up on kijiji asking if someone wants to trade an iPhone 5 (my wifes) 16gb for a 1020 Black, since both are equally priced i dont see a real loss in value here...my wife will take the 5S.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
For me if you can buy a 930 go for it! After 2 days using it, you're going to realize the phone is not big at all!( I have a nexus5 and I know it) But if can't get one or feel comfortable with it then go definitely for the 1020.

Tapatalked with my Lumia 920

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't buy the 1020 with a plan of keeping it for 2 years at this point. I would highly recommend a 1520 or an Icon since they have more current hardware and are a touch more future proof but if you don't like the size I would recommend waiting to see what comes out with 8.1.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy the 1020 with a plan of keeping it for 2 years at this point. I would highly recommend a 1520 or an Icon since they have more current hardware and are a touch more future proof but if you don't like the size I would recommend waiting to see what comes out with 8.1.

the 1520 is way too big, i do not like Phablets. The ICON isn't avaliable here in Canada, i could wait for the 930 but again i would prefer a smaller device.

Are the internals of the 930/Icon/1520 that much better than the 1020? If so i see your point.

hnmmm

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
the 1520 is way too big, i do not like Phablets. The ICON isn't avaliable here in Canada, i could wait for the 930 but again i would prefer a smaller device.

Are the internals of the 930/Icon/1520 that much better than the 1020? If so i see your point.

hnmmm

Of course! We're talking for a device 930/icon with a 5" FHD display, a SD 800 with 2gb of ram, bigger battery etc.

The 1020 is good but not better than the 930 and I think the 20mp camera is more than enough.

But at the end is your decision.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback. So i guess we have no clue when these other Nokia devices will be announced eh. dang.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
- People on these forums complain the 1020 processor is slow, even with 2GB ram...i found the 920 sufficient and that had 1GB ram. Why is the 1020 so slow?.
The 920 and 1020 have the same Prozessor. The 1020 is a very fast Device with Windows Phone 8.

knapper91

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1020 currently, loved the phone on the 8.0 version then saw some ads for the 8.1 update and had to have it. I love the 1020 the picture quality is iffy until you get used to how the settings work. But once you do you can take some amazing pictures. As far as battery drain goes I havent had any problems. Mine is plugged into our stero at work from 0630 til 1730 and it is always either streaming Pandora or Xbox music (also a great idea to get the Xbox music subscription because you can download as much music as you want for $10 a month) and once 1730 hits I am still at around 30% battery. Also running low brightness, wifi on, and 1 min lock screen, no location services.

As for 8.1 goes I have the developer edition on my phone as of 2 days ago. From the current standing I am highly impressed with the results with 2 exceptions. There is no integration for Facebook Messenger with normal SMS messging. The music player is the other issue I have with the 8.1 update. The only problem I have with this is that they switched it entirely over to the Xbox music app and when you restart your phone it has to repopulate all of the music you have back into the system and that takes an extensive amount of time to get those songs all pooled.

In conclusion I would recommend doing the developer edition of 8.1 on your phone before you get rid of the 920 just to test it out and see if you like it. Since you can always switch to the 1020 and decline the OTA updates if you dont like it. :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wait.. the 5s is a very capable device with a relatively stable/mature OS .. There should be another "unique" device by the end of the year from Microsoft

Also, by waiting, you get to see what apple have in store with the iPhone 6..

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
i've been using the 1020 since November and to be honest - im really happy with it. yes it has the same internals as the 920 but with 2gb of ram and obviously the camera is different. my brother is getting an icon off of ebay to use on tmobile this weekend and while the body/build is nice and a 20mp shooter is more than plenty, if you are an aspiring photographer you still cannot be the 1020. even with newer devices like the M8 and galaxy s5, the now circa 9 month old device is still top notch in terms of overall camera performance. and while the icon/930 have faster internals, for most day to day tasks like email, cortana, etc, the 1020 is still plenty fast due the fact that wp8 and wp8.1 don't need top end hardware to be smooth.

like i said it's about priorities. i'm becoming a (very horrible) amateur photographer, and it's been great taking trips around town and when on vacation to get great shots that are on par or better than most 300 point and shoot cameras. i even bought a cheap tripod for some great low light shots. if photography is high on your list, i'd still go for a 1020. i haven't read or heard much of a 1020 successor coming soon.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just wait.. the 5s is a very capable device with a relatively stable/mature OS .. There should be another "unique" device by the end of the year from Microsoft

Also, by waiting, you get to see what apple have in store with the iPhone 6..

While I agree that iOS is a very stable device and works great at what it does, I've had enough and do not care for the iPhone 6 at all...WP just worked better for me, esp the start screen. But ya I'll consider waiting for the other devices.

Thanks everyone for your input. For the 930 being almost as big as 920 just taller, when I see pictures of comparisons of icon and S4 the icon looks bigger...and the s4 was bigger than the 920. I have never used one in person, I'm basing this off of pictures online. If 930 only slightly bigger than the 920 if definitely give it a shot.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It comes down to camera at the end of the day. Do you really want it? The phone by itself isn't slow by any means, it performs identical to your 920 or the 925. They all share the same internals after all. While the 1020 has indeed two gigs of RAM, there is quite some discussion regarding it. I've read a couple of times the additional memory it's kind of hardwired to the camera module and can't be accessed by the OS itself.
Shot-to-shot times are the rather disappointing performance type of the 1020. It takes quite a while,after you took a picture,until the device is ready to capture the next one. Depending on what you typically shot the most this might not realm be a problem or it can be the ultimate killing point of using the the device.

By the way I got my 1020 last month when renewing my contract for the next two years. The aging internals also bugged me. Yet the phone is fast enough, the display is nice enough and I got the 64gig version for a great price. The real thing which I don't like about the 1020 is the battery performance. It is on the same level as most early 2012 models. Yet after using the BlackBerry Q10 for almost a year, I got used to not even worry a second about my battery status. With the 1020 all the bad things are back: Check if the phone is charged before leaving for work, charge the phone right after work (especially if I go out again!) and even thinking about getting an external battery.

I still would recommend this phone, however I'm not a (mobile) hardware freak who only wants the latest and greatest on a device but rather has different priorities as long as the performance is good enough.

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
All you guys talking only about the camera, ok on the 1020 is a 41mp camera but on the 930 is a 21mp and I think for a phone is more than enough! At the other side the 930 has a better CPU/GPU, bigger battery and a way better 5" fhd display....

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
All you guys talking only about the camera, ok on the 1020 is a 41mp camera but on the 930 is a 21mp and I think for a phone is more than enough! At the other side the 930 has a better CPU/GPU, bigger battery and a way better 5" fhd display....

Basing quality of a camera on megapixels alone is a big mistake.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

the 930/icon camera is no slouch ...... in fact it is really good but it misses xenon flash and the larger sensor ..... I have been impressed with the 930/icon/1520 shots but you still cant compare a led flash with xenon and the bigger the sensor the better ....... these two things alone make the 1020 my go too device even if the 930/icon/1520 all pack better screen/gpu/cpu ....... in my opinion that doesn't make up for the missing xenon flash and smaller sensor ;-)

hopefully nokia/Microsoft carry the n82/n8/808/1020 family on ;-)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a guy offering me his white 1020 International 64gb for my iPhone 5 16gb, but wants $100 with it. I'm just concerned something's wrong with it, he says no he just wants to rid for an icon\1520...basically anything other than lower end windows. Is the 64gb that rare and worth it for the pic sizes on 1020? Are there any issues known with international model?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
there isn't an international model as such ..... just a telfonica 64gb model I believe this covers o2 uk , o2 Germany and maybe some networks in brazil?

in the uk you can only get a yellow and black 64gb model and it is locked to o2 uk ...... I haven't heard of a white 64gb model but perhaps they exsist and I haven't seen one ...... tread carefully though and see if white 64gb models actually exsist ;-)

edit - when they say international they might just mean it has the same bands as international 1020s like the o2 uk 64gb model and not an att model with their bands for example

edit 2 - they can be unlocked by the network quite easily

edit 3 - yes they are quite rare due to being limited to telefonica networks only ;-)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help, he didn't specify international I assumed only because here in canada we can only get the yellow and black 32gb as well...so I presumed it was imported. In the USA did 1020 64gb white come out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers