Get 1020 now or wait for 8.1 devices?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help, he didn't specify international I assumed only because here in canada we can only get the yellow and black 32gb as well...so I presumed it was imported. In the USA did 1020 64gb white come out?

I have never seen a white 64gb model on here , ebay , amazon ....... I am based in the uk though ;-) if he has a 64gb model maybe it is from south America? is that a possibility? maybe the white 64gb model was released in other regions through telefonica? maybe he has changed the housing which would invalidate the nokia 2 year warranty? or maybe he is confused and it is a 32gb model ;-)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, he didn't specify international I assumed only because here in canada we can only get the yellow and black 32gb as well...so I presumed it was imported. In the USA did 1020 64gb white come out?

The 64GB version of the 1020 is exclusive to the Spanish carrier Telef?nica. Only Telef?nica and its subsidiaries in Europe and Latin America (O2 etc) had access to the 64GB version.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
The 64GB version of the 1020 is exclusive to the Spanish carrier Telef?nica. Only Telef?nica and its subsidiaries in Europe and Latin America (O2 etc) had access to the 64GB version.

have you see a 64gb white one though? I am guessing they just paid for yellow and black in the deal?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 won't have a replacement so soon.
So if photography IS your thing and you really have to have those 41mp, then go for the 1020. It runs just as well with 8.1 and Nokia Cyan is expected to speed up the processing time of the photos. It's not SLOW, it just takes a few seconds because it's too much information to process.

But if photography isn't the main thing you want on the phone and 32GB are enough storage for you, then the 930 is your best compromise. The phone itself is just half a centimetre taller than the 920/1020. However, if like me you're not a fan of the 3 column of tiles, the 930 forces you to have it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I assume the increased screen size helps with that? I went in to town today to look at a few phones with bigger screens than my 920. Wanted to do a quick size comparison. I too thought that the 920 and 1020 are a touch too small to nicely display the small tiles. Still getting used to them, they are growing on me though. My next phone should have a tiny bit bigger screen, which should help.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
have you see a 64gb white one though? I am guessing they just paid for yellow and black in the deal?

I don't think I have, no. To be completely honest, I never looked for one as I always buy my phones in black. But I've seen the white version very scarcely. Actually the only place I've ever seen it was at Deutsche Telekom (which forced me to have my phone sent from Finland and Deutsche Telekom's software later installed in it)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I assume the increased screen size helps with that? I went in to town today to look at a few phones with bigger screens than my 920. Wanted to do a quick size comparison. I too thought that the 920 and 1020 are a touch too small to nicely display the small tiles. Still getting used to them, they are growing on me though. My next phone should have a tiny bit bigger screen, which should help.

I hoped so but not really. The small tiles on the 930 are still way too small to be useful to me. And I actually use the small tiles a lot. In any case, it's stupid that I can have a 3rd column on a 920 but not only 2 on the 930...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 won't have a replacement so soon.
So if photography IS your thing and you really have to have those 41mp, then go for the 1020. It runs just as well with 8.1 and Nokia Cyan is expected to speed up the processing time of the photos. It's not SLOW, it just takes a few seconds because it's too much information to process.

But if photography isn't the main thing you want on the phone and 32GB are enough storage for you, then the 930 is your best compromise. The phone itself is just half a centimetre taller than the 920/1020. However, if like me you're not a fan of the 3 column of tiles, the 930 forces you to have it.

I am not a photographer, I became a fan of taking photos when u got my 920...I never cared for taking pictures before owning that phone. Since the 41mp is super high quality I just assumed it's worth an option when considering coming back to WP.

The iPhone 5s camera was raved about in reviews but to be honest it's a disappointment compared to 920 (pre gdr2) IMO. So I don't need the 41mp but I want a very good quality phone that will take amazing photos.

I only use my phone to browse the net, read news, text, call(rarely) and photos...I can love without all the apps, I thought I needed them but definitely do not.

I haven't tested out 8.1 yet so I'm not sure about the 3 columns and size opinion.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well..get a 1520 then.Yea,it's bigger but you have one if the best screens for what you want to do and a great camera too.

Just sayin.......

Mac

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not a photographer, I became a fan of taking photos when u got my 920...I never cared for taking pictures before owning that phone. Since the 41mp is super high quality I just assumed it's worth an option when considering coming back to WP.

The iPhone 5s camera was raved about in reviews but to be honest it's a disappointment compared to 920 (pre gdr2) IMO. So I don't need the 41mp but I want a very good quality phone that will take amazing photos.

I only use my phone to browse the net, read news, text, call(rarely) and photos...I can love without all the apps, I thought I needed them but definitely do not.

I haven't tested out 8.1 yet so I'm not sure about the 3 columns and size opinion.

Well...to be honest you don't need a flagship phone for the use you give to the phone, but then, if you want a 920 with a better camera and specs and don't mind the same restrictions, the 930 is your go-to-phone on WP.
The 1020 is worth having but only if you're really into photography, otherwise the 20mp of the 930 will be enough.

As for the 3 columns, the question is simply answered: did you rely a lot on the smaller size of tiles in your 920? If you did, then the 930 will be a lesser good experience with 3 columns because the 3 columns come at the cost of tiles resizing. Which means the small tiles on 920 get even smaller. I personally don't like that about WP8 GDR3 and WP8.1 in the 930. I rely a lot on small tiles to access stuff like Data, Phonebook, calls, battery saver, the store, even WPCentral, Facebook and Twitter.
If on the other hand you were more about the 2x2 and 2x4 tiles, then you're good to go.

By the way, I didn't had any downgrade in image quality on my 920 post-GDR2...so it probably wasn't a general problem.

NOW...is it URGENT? Because if it isn't, there are rumours going around that Sony will be producing WP devices and Tom Warren has even hinted at them arriving as soon as this Summer. No one knows if they'll arrive or not and if they do, what sort of phones they'll be. But assuming Sony may want to go flagship, it's not unthinkable to expect a Z2 type of phone with WP. And if they follow the same strategy as on Android, that WP Z2 will have a Compact version, which basically is the Z2 specs in a phone the size of the iPhone 5S.
If you don't like big phones, Sony might be an option.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd say wait until the Summer.

Well..get a 1520 then.Yea,it's bigger but you have one if the best screens for what you want to do and a great camera too.

Just sayin.......

Mac

He said he didn't like big phones. The 1520 is a dinner tray. So...=P

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Im definitely not in a rush and gonna wait for the newer phones...I'm just very unconfident of what canada will get in terms of devices. I guess I'll have to test out the 930 first hand to see if I like it. As far as gdr2 messing up the camera, it's possible the problem was only select 920s. Others on the board experienced same problems as me, but not everyone...possible gdr3 fixed the problems.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

One of the primary problems when people want a great tool are the people and their expectations. After all a camera is just that: A tool to create pictures and just like other tools it doesn't let miracles to happen if the user doesn't really know what he is doing. Give me the best set off brushes, the greatest oil colors and the finest canvas: I still would stuck painting a nice picture.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to make the 1020, let alone yourself as a person look bad. However around here I've already read a couple of threads where people got biased but some very nice shots taken with that Lumia and they were highly disappointed after they got the phone. They thought, or so it seemed to me, the phone would do all the work and they just have to press the shutter to create similar images. It is similar to more professional digital photography forums where some people just bought DSLR and fitting equipment worth a few thousand bucks and they were so disappointed because they still couldn't produce better pictures than they used to with their older pocket cameras.
Personally I've been not as impressed as I thought I would be after using the 1020 a couple of weeks. Especially the zoom in later works not as well as I hoped. Maybe I expected too much, but the two sample images which came on the device draw a different picture than the actual photos I took myself with the phone. Detail comes out less nice compared to the samples after re-zooming.

I'd say you can create nice and stunning shots with almost every kind of camera out there if you know how to use it and take advantage of the strengths it has to offer. For example I've seen great pics taken with camera which usually got rather mixed reviews.
Last but not least the way we look at photos has changed along with the way we take them. I'd say most photos nowadays are viewed with mobile devices on relatively small screens, screens which simply make some bad technical issues like noise less of a problem compared to larger sized desktop screens or prints.

To finally make a long story shorter: The key strengths of the 1020 camera module are the large sensor, the rather powerful Xenon flash as well as the high megapixel count. The later gives you more flexibility when cropping the photo later on and/or allow for larger sized, an option which I really like for example.
Previous stand alone points, like the Nokia camera app with all those manual settings, have been ported to other Lumias already. For example the 920 also offers all the manual controls the 1020 introduced.

In the end it boils down whether you're willing to spend the money or not. As already said, you can't do anything wrong by choosing the 1020, especially if you don't need the latest high-end hardware internals stone are proclaiming here, yet it simply won't make any photographic miracles to happen. It is still a learning process you'll need to be willing to go through.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i say go for the 1020, its a gem of a phone! - i have a 920 and a nokia 808, and always wanted the 1020, but couldnt justify it based on the two phones i have, i have used one for half a day post black and was impressed with the photo quality more than i thought i was going to be coming from the high bar of the 808

someone said above that people expect the 1020 to create the great shots for you, i agree and disagree with this sentiment...

that correct that there will be a certain element of settings/knowhow to get the very best out of the unit, but myself, who is an absolute layman at taking photos, and any advanced settings on a camera are alien to me, however, i have some shots in my archive taken from the 808 especially, which are stunning

you might ask if i am a layman why i have two fairly camera centric phones, well, thats the point, nokias lineage of phones (and admittedly, the iphone 4 some time back) enthused me to take photos via mobile phones, its great fun, and as the old addage goes, the best camera is the one you have with you!

so, if i can get beautiful shots from the less user friendly 808, then the 1020, with its OIS and shutter speed will be very adept at automating a great shot even for the most novice user to some degree

apart from the legacy 808, the 1020 has the largest sensor in the cam phone market, so i think that in itself is more than enough to futureproof you for a few years, i cant see them outdoing 41mpix in the immediate future

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If I were to get a 1020 I know I'd have to spend a lot of time getting familiar and learning the basics, I can admit I had a tough time with the Nokia camera app (when 1020 launched) and much preferred the stock due to it's simplistic design/use. But all this makes a good point, I don't mind investing the time to learn...but I prefer the point/click design smartphones have developed to be. Also I'm not saying 920 is a much better camera than the iPhone 5s(it could be technically but I wouldn't know), I just much preferred the quality of photos it produced, especially on larger screens like my surface pro. My top pictures taken with my 5s vs my top 920 shots were night/day in clarity/sharpness/color...the 920 just produced much nicer shots...and hence I figured a 1020 would just be a logical choice.

Honestly I do prefer the point/click simplistic approach over the professional manual, so maybe the 930 is a better choice since 20mp is enough. I was upset about the size but if people say it's just a little taller and not wider, I'm very fine and will wait for it instead.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use different apps for different types of photos:
ProShot for taking fully programmed shots where I have several minutes to get the settings I want;
Nokia Camera in 8.0/MS Camera in 8.1 for quick auto shot, using shutter button to launch right into camera when I have a couple seconds to snap a quicky;
Oggl PRO for taking food shots at work for posting to social media.

I wouldn't say that the 1020 works great in only one of these scenarios--all of them are great.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Chezm, the full-auto settings and pictures on the 1020 are really good. I just wanted to point out you'll need to confront yourself with more and more manual settings to get some of those amazing shots people are taking with this phone. I'd say in quite many cases the people who took those shots were using at least one manual setting.

The great thing about digital photography is, after all, you can take shots and have an immediate look at them and especially not spending any additional money to get them. Try and error got a lot easier and affordable thanks to this ;)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Chezm, the full-auto settings and pictures on the 1020 are really good. I just wanted to point out you'll need to confront yourself with more and more manual settings to get some of those amazing shots people are taking with this phone. I'd say in quite many cases the people who took those shots were using at least one manual setting.

The great thing about digital photography is, after all, you can take shots and have an immediate look at them and especially not spending any additional money to get them. Try and error got a lot easier and affordable thanks to this ;)

Agreed on both your points. I know those incredible photos people take with the 1020 involve some manual focus adjusting to get the perfect shot. For me, why i enjoyed the Lumia 920 so much with photos is i could look at the screen click on my area of focus and it would generally come out great! I found taking pictures with Lumia device much more enjoyable process than iPhone 5S...that 1 touch picture/focus/shot works amazingly well on WP, where as on the iPhone yes its quick but i find maybe 1/6 of my shots come out the way i expect. I am a noobie when it comes to photography and looking at photos in general, 920 turned me into someone who now takes interest in snapping quick photos and appreciating photo detail...that in itself is a feat.

With that said, I had my fingers crossed and was hoping to use the same noobie point/click i did with the 920 and expected the pictures to come out in more detail. I knew there was much more to the camera from manually adjusting settings, but presumed the lens itself would greatly assist in helping auto-generate awesome pics.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
its a great feature of the 1020 and 808 , re-framing shots , once you get used to it and use that feature taking photos without it isn't the same ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb