11-21-2014 06:46 AM
51 123
tools
    Yeah I actually spoked too soon. When Sunday turned in to night and i was going to bed i noticed a familiar blue screen on my phone.. rebooot. So i think i will test the phone few days and send it back to the repair.
    Damn, so not even a repair fixed it? So can we then assume that its not hardware related? The repair shop at least would be able to detect a hardware defect? That's why they "updated" the software, because there wasn't any thing wrong with the hardware? Hmm... strange that my girlfriend and others do not have this issue with their 1020's if it is software. Maybe if you send it in again they'll give you a new device/refurbished?
    06-03-2014 08:03 AM
    It's starting to seem that it is really a software problem. I was thinking that i will wait the 8.1 upgrade and see if that helps. If not i will send it back and hope that they will give me a new phone.

Damn, so not even a repair fixed it? So can we then assume that its not hardware related? The repair shop at least would be able to detect a hardware defect? That's why they "updated" the software, because there wasn't any thing wrong with the hardware? Hmm... strange that my girlfriend and others do not have this issue with their 1020's if it is software. Maybe if you send it in again they'll give you a new device/refurbished?
    06-07-2014 07:59 AM
    I noticed that every time I leave the phone charging over night I will find it restarted with Enter PIN in the morning.
    06-12-2014 02:50 AM
    Same thing here. it's not now rebooting during the day.

I noticed that every time I leave the phone charging over night I will find it restarted with Enter PIN in the morning.
    06-13-2014 10:45 AM
    No idea if this is the actual problem but.
    I had these problems, mostly noticable because my alarms didnt work in the mornings, and the phone just froze + stopped charging.. which SUCKS....

I did a hard reset which seemed to fix it, no problems for a few weeks. Then, I installed skype and boom, next morning the phone had frozen again.

Uninstalled skype, so far no problems (one week, usually this would happen every 2-3 days when charging overnight.
    Skype "not allowed" through battery saver, ill open it myself if i need it :P

Rocking newest dev preview, but also happened a few times on wp8/black

Anyone else getting the same results ?
    06-15-2014 04:45 AM
    I even twitted to Nokia Care about it and they just keep saying "Thanks for your patience, we will get back to you" since like 15th may. I'm pretty sure they don't give a s&*t.
    06-17-2014 04:25 AM
    I updated my phone to 8.1 preview. now the phone is crashing on a black screen.. so it's no waking up. I have to do soft reset (volume down + power button) but i noticed really interesting thing. The phone crashes few hours after i plug it in for charging. Even if it's on the charger only for a second. That one i noticed because i just bought wireless charging covers and fatboy pad. I put the phone on the fatboy just a second so that i heard the charging sound and took it off and put it on the table. I took a look at the phone few hours after that and it had crashed so the problem is related to the charging.
    07-03-2014 01:31 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Tried troubleshooting everything on 8 and 8.1. Nothing stopped the issue of shutting down every day or two. Sent my phone to nokia last week and explained everything I've tried. I'll be pretty upset if all they do is reload the software as I explained to them that I did that several times already through the phone reset menu and with the nokia recovery tool.
    07-06-2014 11:10 AM
    All they keep saying is "pls send it again for repair" Told them to **** off now and if 8.1 doesnt fix it Im going back to android.
    07-06-2014 01:09 PM
    I had my Lumia 1020 for about 4 hours from new before loading 8.1 Preview.

I had lots of problems which mainly consisted of multiple reboots at very frequent intervals which pretty much rendered the phone unusable.

I decided to go back to 8.0 using Nokia recovery. All was well but on an off chance I decided to immediately do the 8.1 update again, hoping that it may have been the previous upgrade procedure that upset the whole thing before.

I was right. My 1020 is rock solid on 8.1 now, and I even got the only app I was upset about not having today, namely Whatsapp.

If I can assist anyone with any details please drop me a line.

Kind regards.
    This was a month ago... how has your experience been so far after doing this?
    07-07-2014 12:13 AM
    Ok, so what I did was used the Nokia recovery tool. It put me back to 8.0. I turned battery saver off for a couple days and let the battery cycle a few times. I re- installed 8.1. I've been running it this way for weeks and haven't had an issue. So something fixed it...
    07-07-2014 12:25 AM
    I did the same thing, used recovery tool to install 8.0 back and then installed 8.1 and the crashing seems to be stopped. Phone has been running now 4 days and crashed only 1 time. So i'm hopefull...
    07-16-2014 11:46 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Tried troubleshooting everything on 8 and 8.1. Nothing stopped the issue of shutting down every day or two. Sent my phone to nokia last week and explained everything I've tried. I'll be pretty upset if all they do is reload the software as I explained to them that I did that several times already through the phone reset menu and with the nokia recovery tool.
    A follow up: I got my phone back from Nokia and it hasn't shut down in a week. They replaced the screen, case, and maybe the system board too. The camera bump is the same one, so it's not an entirely new phone. The screen had a few knicks and a small crack at the bottom and the case had a dent or two at the corners. I'm a happy Nokia customer again.
    MarkusV likes this.
    07-29-2014 09:48 PM
    Installed official wp 8.1 version to my phone couple days ago and seems to be crashing still so i think i will send my phone back to repair next week.
    08-12-2014 05:15 AM
    Happened to me twice the random reboots in my L1020. Never happened before with Black (8.0 and 8.1 DP), I think Cyan is the guilty. I installed Cyan and then hard reset to start from scratch, and it has rebooted twice now. I try the Glance reintallation thing.
    08-16-2014 11:25 AM
    I have been testing now with different settings when the crash is happening and it seems that when i have wlan on and connected the phone keeps crashing but if the wlan is not on everything is working as it should. Even glance can be turned on when wlan is off.
    08-17-2014 12:09 AM
    I too had to deal with frequent shut offs and reboots. I uninstalled all my apps, closed out of all background operations, etc. Nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that it was a defective phone and called ATT for a replacement. I haven't had ANY issues with my replacement, which I've had for several months now.
    08-19-2014 05:30 AM
    I too had to deal with frequent shut offs and reboots. I uninstalled all my apps, closed out of all background operations, etc. Nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that it was a defective phone and called ATT for a replacement. I haven't had ANY issues with my replacement, which I've had for several months now.
    I just noticed this tread after having similar issues with my 1020. Mine has restarted 13 times today with the wifi becoming unavailable most of the day. ATT is sending me another phone hopefully it resolves my issues.
    08-19-2014 07:59 PM
    I had mine repaired twice and then finally replaced by Nokia. I bought mine on launch day and just made it in the warranty period. It all started with the random shut offs and developed other problems from there. Loving my new 1020 on cyan!
    08-23-2014 04:46 PM
    Just got "my" phone from repair. It said that the phone had faulty mainboard so they changed the whole phone. Only thing, i send BLACK phone to repair and they sent me F****NG YELLOW phone back. Unbelievable, i have to send the phone back again and do a reclamation.

Got answer from the repair shop, they are not responsible when they send the phone to manufacturer repair. I was told to contact manufacturer... WTF?
    Last edited by MarkusV; 09-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    09-17-2014 07:26 AM
    Just got "my" phone from repair. It said that the phone had faulty mainboard so they changed the whole phone. Only thing, i send BLACK phone to repair and they sent me F****NG YELLOW phone back. Unbelievable, i have to send the phone back again and do a reclamation.

Got answer from the repair shop, they are not responsible when they send the phone to manufacturer repair. I was told to contact manufacturer... WTF?
    The big question is if the reboot problem is fixed? My wife's 1020 never rebooted and once she updated to Cyan and 8.1, it's happens a lot. Daily or more frequent. I just turned off her WIFI (as I think she really never had WIFI on before) and we'll see how that goes. She does have Glance on, too, but she has always had Glance, even under 8.0.

Next step is to use recovery tool to reinstall 8.0 possibly leave it there for a while. If I do that, will the recovery tool also revert back to Black firmware, or is Cyan on the phone for good now?
    09-17-2014 05:24 PM
    The big question is if the reboot problem is fixed? My wife's 1020 never rebooted and once she updated to Cyan and 8.1, it's happens a lot. Daily or more frequent. I just turned off her WIFI (as I think she really never had WIFI on before) and we'll see how that goes. She does have Glance on, too, but she has always had Glance, even under 8.0.

Next step is to use recovery tool to reinstall 8.0 possibly leave it there for a while. If I do that, will the recovery tool also revert back to Black firmware, or is Cyan on the phone for good now?

Well it has not crashed yet so looking good in that matter. I will post later has it started to crash.

I remember that i read somewhere that the recovery tool now has the Cyan update added so it would recover to that one but not sure.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-17-2014 10:15 PM
    Still no crashing, it seems that the phone is working as it should. I think that if you guys have that rebooting/crashing problem just send the phone to the repair, there is some faulty component inside.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-23-2014 10:15 PM
    These random power downs and random reboots also occur WITHOUT wi-fi enabled on my O2 Nokia Lumia 1020 64GB device.

Power down happened last night in LTE coverage area. Had been showing photos of poppies around Tower of London and some websurfing. Works device, so configured to receive push emails, last one arrived at 10:37pm. WhatsApp also recently loaded, last picture message 8:11pm.

On leaving pub at 11pm, I pressed power button briefly, to switch screen to off and put device in jacket pocket. Then drove home (soft drinks only). The battery did not alert that it was critically low, yet I could not get device to wake up, once home. Plugged in power adapter and no sign it was charging. Eventually found this article via a tablet device and used power+volume down to bring the device back to life. Battery had not discharged.

Late arrival to WP8 (WM6.1 before that) so took the Nokia black upgrade as soon as device was out the box. Subsequently taken Cyan (no Cortana yet)/WP8.1.

Model: Nokia 909
    Carrier: O2
    F/W: 3051.50009.1424.0004
    H/W: 4.4.6.2
    Radio: 3.2.04059.1
    Chip: 8960

Restarts/power downs are random, but NOT daily in my experience. I will report back this latest observation to my coleagues within Network Integration & Test - Devices team and ask that they raise these issues with their point of contact within Nokia/Microsoft. I don't expect instant attention on this issue, since software/hardware development teams rapidly move onto the next shiny new product to prepare for release.
    11-21-2014 05:21 AM
    The repair centre teams won't necessarily know the cause. They will have procedures to follow to resolve specific issues. Its the hardware/firmwave/software development teams and any in-house test/QA teams that will collectively need to perform the root cause analysis on this product. Then create a fix if its firmwave/software and update the procedures at the repair centres. Let's hope the Microsoft announced redundancies have not decimated these vital teams, otherwise we have a long wait for a resolution!
    11-21-2014 06:05 AM
51 123