Random power down / reboot issues - revisited

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have been testing now with different settings when the crash is happening and it seems that when i have wlan on and connected the phone keeps crashing but if the wlan is not on everything is working as it should. Even glance can be turned on when wlan is off.

Alex_Lumia1020

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I too had to deal with frequent shut offs and reboots. I uninstalled all my apps, closed out of all background operations, etc. Nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that it was a defective phone and called ATT for a replacement. I haven't had ANY issues with my replacement, which I've had for several months now.

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I too had to deal with frequent shut offs and reboots. I uninstalled all my apps, closed out of all background operations, etc. Nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that it was a defective phone and called ATT for a replacement. I haven't had ANY issues with my replacement, which I've had for several months now.
I just noticed this tread after having similar issues with my 1020. Mine has restarted 13 times today with the wifi becoming unavailable most of the day. ATT is sending me another phone hopefully it resolves my issues.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I had mine repaired twice and then finally replaced by Nokia. I bought mine on launch day and just made it in the warranty period. It all started with the random shut offs and developed other problems from there. Loving my new 1020 on cyan!

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Just got "my" phone from repair. It said that the phone had faulty mainboard so they changed the whole phone. Only thing, i send BLACK phone to repair and they sent me F****NG YELLOW phone back. Unbelievable, i have to send the phone back again and do a reclamation.

Got answer from the repair shop, they are not responsible when they send the phone to manufacturer repair. I was told to contact manufacturer... WTF?

Last edited:

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Just got "my" phone from repair. It said that the phone had faulty mainboard so they changed the whole phone. Only thing, i send BLACK phone to repair and they sent me F****NG YELLOW phone back. Unbelievable, i have to send the phone back again and do a reclamation.

Got answer from the repair shop, they are not responsible when they send the phone to manufacturer repair. I was told to contact manufacturer... WTF?

The big question is if the reboot problem is fixed? My wife's 1020 never rebooted and once she updated to Cyan and 8.1, it's happens a lot. Daily or more frequent. I just turned off her WIFI (as I think she really never had WIFI on before) and we'll see how that goes. She does have Glance on, too, but she has always had Glance, even under 8.0.

Next step is to use recovery tool to reinstall 8.0 possibly leave it there for a while. If I do that, will the recovery tool also revert back to Black firmware, or is Cyan on the phone for good now?

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The big question is if the reboot problem is fixed? My wife's 1020 never rebooted and once she updated to Cyan and 8.1, it's happens a lot. Daily or more frequent. I just turned off her WIFI (as I think she really never had WIFI on before) and we'll see how that goes. She does have Glance on, too, but she has always had Glance, even under 8.0.

Next step is to use recovery tool to reinstall 8.0 possibly leave it there for a while. If I do that, will the recovery tool also revert back to Black firmware, or is Cyan on the phone for good now?

Well it has not crashed yet so looking good in that matter. I will post later has it started to crash.

I remember that i read somewhere that the recovery tool now has the Cyan update added so it would recover to that one but not sure.

MarkusV

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Still no crashing, it seems that the phone is working as it should. I think that if you guys have that rebooting/crashing problem just send the phone to the repair, there is some faulty component inside.

kevin_361

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
These random power downs and random reboots also occur WITHOUT wi-fi enabled on my O2 Nokia Lumia 1020 64GB device.

Power down happened last night in LTE coverage area. Had been showing photos of poppies around Tower of London and some websurfing. Works device, so configured to receive push emails, last one arrived at 10:37pm. WhatsApp also recently loaded, last picture message 8:11pm.

On leaving pub at 11pm, I pressed power button briefly, to switch screen to off and put device in jacket pocket. Then drove home (soft drinks only). The battery did not alert that it was critically low, yet I could not get device to wake up, once home. Plugged in power adapter and no sign it was charging. Eventually found this article via a tablet device and used power+volume down to bring the device back to life. Battery had not discharged.

Late arrival to WP8 (WM6.1 before that) so took the Nokia black upgrade as soon as device was out the box. Subsequently taken Cyan (no Cortana yet)/WP8.1.

Model: Nokia 909
Carrier: O2
F/W: 3051.50009.1424.0004
H/W: 4.4.6.2
Radio: 3.2.04059.1
Chip: 8960

Restarts/power downs are random, but NOT daily in my experience. I will report back this latest observation to my coleagues within Network Integration & Test - Devices team and ask that they raise these issues with their point of contact within Nokia/Microsoft. I don't expect instant attention on this issue, since software/hardware development teams rapidly move onto the next shiny new product to prepare for release.

kevin_361

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The repair centre teams won't necessarily know the cause. They will have procedures to follow to resolve specific issues. Its the hardware/firmwave/software development teams and any in-house test/QA teams that will collectively need to perform the root cause analysis on this product. Then create a fix if its firmwave/software and update the procedures at the repair centres. Let's hope the Microsoft announced redundancies have not decimated these vital teams, otherwise we have a long wait for a resolution!

kevin_361

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've seen random restarts while the device is connected to its charger, at my work desk. Push email enabled, in LTE coverage, no wi-fi enabled, glance enabled, no Bluetooth enabled. Could be a power management issue with the battery's charging circuitry. Like it won't shut off the trickle charge once battery reaches 100% so OS triggers a reboot to reset that circuitry - speculation but a possibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb