Create an phone "Backup Image"?

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way possible to actually make a backup image of my 1020?

The only other smartphone I've had prior to this was an iPhone and one thing Apple did right was making a backup image. If I had to get my phone replaced, I'd just sync it with iTunes and it the new phone immediately had all the settings and screens my old phone had right down to whatever websites I had up last.

I see there are backup options on here but it doesn't seem to actually make an image.

Thanks!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way possible to actually make a backup image of my 1020?

The only other smartphone I've had prior to this was an iPhone and one thing Apple did right was making a backup image. If I had to get my phone replaced, I'd just sync it with iTunes and it the new phone immediately had all the settings and screens my old phone had right down to whatever websites I had up last.

I see there are backup options on here but it doesn't seem to actually make an image.

Thanks!

Currently, no...that is not an option. Each app can backup to OneDrive to keep all your info together PLUS that allows you to use 1 set of app in multiple locations (say Win8, WP8) if the devs set it up correctly (if they don't, use an app that does so the Devs get the point!) and also your phone will back up the other things like which apps you had, your texts and whatnot.

In WP8.1 it is supposed to get Start Screen backup also...so when you restore your phone it will look the exact same.

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
this is actually one of my gripes with WP. with my blackberry, i could switch phones on as regular a basis as i wanted to. EVERYTHING would transfer over.

MS thinks that because they sync your pics and contacts (and now texts) that its a full backup, its not.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
this is actually one of my gripes with WP. with my blackberry, i could switch phones on as regular a basis as i wanted to. EVERYTHING would transfer over.

MS thinks that because they sync your pics and contacts (and now texts) that its a full backup, its not.

Perfect world, phone backups would be a thing of the past. Every app created would sync to the cloud by itself, so you could use that data on whatever device you were using. Using a Surface, WinPhone, and Win PC? Here is all your info, ALL THE TIME! So as soon as you signed into the app on any device all your info would be there.

In the end, it is the same result when you are talking a 1=1 relationships with swapping phones, but using OneDrive opens up a huge benefit for multiple screens. We just need Devs on board.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I also have an iphone but have not needed to transfer to another device. I wonder what would happen if I transfer the image from my 4s to a 5/5s?

Since WP has considerably more device variants than iphone, I suspect there will be difficulties with implementing a backup image system that work as you described. Maybe this is why WP doesn't have this feature?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos