06-25-2015 04:47 AM
59 123
tools
    crazy loop, detecting and not detecting the device it was of no use
    I have this on my Lumia 1020. It's horrible.
    I tried to downgrade to 8.0, but got my phone bricked because the PC lost connection with the phone. Nokia Care made my phone come back to live, but the USB connection problem still continues. (and also a Camera flash or focus problem)

Maybe Cyan Firmware will fix it? Anyone with Cyan that was with this problem?
    08-07-2014 02:03 PM
    I am hoping for that too Bruno
    But I'm wondering if it is just a fault in the hardware design. Sometimes the PC recognizes the phone, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it happens nothing but the phone still charges, sometimes if I move the cable the PC makes the USB sound, sometimes it rains, sometimes a star falls from the sky.

I have decided to not plug it to the PC anymore till I get the Cyan update. Hoping (like you) that it will fixes the issue. I cant remember when this thing started to happen. Not sure if it si 8.1 related because someone else said he is in 8.0... and I can't stop feeling like there is a huge chance that it is a hardware issue and any1020 has a chance to break like this... like the first batch of Xbox360 (most died, some did live)

I would settle with an official statement concerning this. But not knowing what the heck is happening... sucks
    08-08-2014 04:57 PM
    I wish we could get Nokia to comment on this. But when I tell them on Twitter about it and even link this thread among others, they tell me they won't answer me if I'm running 8.1 because it's not their software and it's not "official."

Which is ridiculous, considering Microsoft makes the OS, and Microsoft owns Nokia's devices now.
    08-08-2014 08:02 PM
    Use the USB cable that came with the phone.
    Connect the phone to the PC. Turn it all the way off, hold power button and slide the screen down. The phone will turn back on and it will be detected, drivers should load.
    You should see it in windows explorer. It should install in 'portable devices' in the device manager.

If your operating system did not come with Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
    Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows
    08-08-2014 09:01 PM
    Tried all of that. Doesn't work.
    08-08-2014 11:16 PM
    Tried all of that. Doesn't work.
    This
    08-09-2014 06:42 AM
    I had the same issues, turned out that I was using a non nokia cable. I used a nokia cable then turned on phone whilst connected and it downloaded all the drivers and has been running fine since :) Nokia Lumia 1020 btw
    08-09-2014 06:48 AM
    Cannot downgrade my Phone right now. NSRT keeps looping for download. Wont go to install part. NSU same too. my suspect is the WP8.1 drivers messes the updater.
    08-09-2014 09:24 AM
    I've come to the conclusion that it is a hardware defect on the nokia.
    I decided to try the solutions posted, none of the works. My phone behaves just like Dustin GF's Phone. Exact same behaviour.
    Why do I think it's a hardware flaw?
    Simple: I connect the phone, is not recognized. I leave it at the table and move the cable only slightly and the phone disconnects and connects... and if I touch the *original* (came with phone) USB cable ever so slightly, the phone enters the connect-disconnect-connect-disconnect loop.

Does it charge? Yes, it does. When I plug it to the wall charger it works like a charm. I move the cable and nothing bad happens. But it seems the PC connection works different. I am not too sad because thanx to the OneDrive update, I can upload my HiRes photos to the cloud... but what if I want to backup all my data to the PC?

/sighs.

Time to get me the qi charger... just in case.
    08-16-2014 12:56 PM
    All you having problems need to upgrade the firmware on your device; the latest is 3051.50009.1424.0000 - just thought I would mention that as I notice many of you are running a much older version. Of course, if your device isn't recognized not sure how you would upgrade it, lol. I have noticed that if any device is not recognized, unplugging the usb and plugging it into a different usb socket on your pc/laptop should work. I've seen many times I have the issue with one usb device one day it works great, next day it doesn't recognize, so I use a different port, next time back to the first one fine, then the second, etc etc
    08-17-2014 06:30 PM
    Are you saying to update to Lumia Cyan? It's not available for most of us yet, especially on WP 8.1.
    08-17-2014 10:19 PM
    no, just talking about the actual Nokia firmware, cyan is a software update. If you hookup to Nokia software recovery then it tells you the latest firmware and asks if you wanna update it before continuing
    08-17-2014 11:16 PM
    no, just talking about the actual Nokia firmware, cyan is a software update. If you hookup to Nokia software recovery then it tells you the latest firmware and asks if you wanna update it before continuing
    Yes it shows the latest update but some us using GDR1 has having problems getting Cyan. My problem is once i completed the download it say corrupted data for NSU. As for the NSRT, similar problem but it download is looping.
    08-18-2014 05:42 AM
    I am scared to update anything via USB cable, I don't want something awry to happen while the phone is connected and to end up with a brick. /sighs.
    I wish this issue was addressed by MS or Nokia. :/ that someone would aknowledge something "Yes, is the firmware; yes, is the phone; yes, is the OS" whatever.
    08-18-2014 09:15 AM
    I don't want to use the Nokia Software Recovery Tools because it says it will wipe the device clean, and my girlfriend has thousands of photos from our recent vacation we don't want to lose. They are backed up to OneDrive, but they are low quality because we were on a cell network while on our travels. We'd like to back her photos up at full quality (especially on a 1020, with such gorgeous quality) but OneDrive won't back up photos that have already been backed up (no matter what quality they were in the past).

So we're stuck not being able to run the software recovery tool, but I don't think the Nokia firmware is out of date. She updates her phone regularly. How would that update not install over time?

Can the firmware update be applied if the device can't be detected on the computer without wiping the device clean?
    Last edited by DustinRyan; 08-18-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    08-18-2014 10:05 AM
    Dustin, I know is not the best of the solutions but, check out an app called [PC Remote Free]
    Says you can connect to your PC via wireless and while you can not explore your phone from your PC, you can send files to your PC. I have to try it yet, I'm at work and we don't have wifi because some security policies -__- but I will at home. Maybe this allows you to transfer the files from the phone to the PC
    Last edited by Compiux; 08-18-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added the link to the APP
    08-18-2014 11:33 AM
    Do you think the files it can send to computer include full resolution photos? Or would it send the "share-friendly" photos at lower quality?
    08-18-2014 12:03 PM
    That's a good question, but I suspect you will be able to transfer the hi-res. I'll let you know as soon as I am able to try I :)
    08-18-2014 01:26 PM
    Tried several things, I'll spare you the mumbo jumbo.
    First:
    You can share the hires files to any folder in your skydrive. Just go to the "Files APP" and select the folder where you want to upload the photos.
    Expect long times since you're uploading several megas.

Second
    I installed this application (trial mode) ShareFolder Explorer. if you use the "copy" option, it only access the camera roll and not the high res photos, BUT (aha! I caught your attention) but, if I go to the files app again, I can choose the "ShareFolder Explorer" as the destination and then I can access the shared folder (previously configured) and "paste" the photos there.

The app is paid, but you have 30 days to transfer your files.
    Here is the process... have some patience. This is a long post.
    IMPORTANT: Both devices must be in the same wireless.

0. Share your folder.
    00.gif
    01.gif
    02.gif

1. Then, setup the shared folder in your phone app. First tap the PLUS button
    wp_ss_20140818_0009.png

You will need to type this info:
    Connection Name: Whatever you want
    Host: your computer IP.
    a. Press [Windows Key]+R and type CMD
    b. In the command prompt type "ipconfig"
    c. Scroll to the "Wireless LAN Adapter Wi-Fi" section
    d. write down your lan IP
    e. type that ip into the Host field
    NOTE: unless someone is admin the network you are on, and this person has static IPs on each device, you will have to repeat this part to make sure the IP has not changed.
    User: I typed my user there, not sure If it would have worked without it. Note: if you have Win8 and have set up to start with a live account, type the whole email address (iamivanthemighty@live.com)
    Password: Password that the aforementioned user uses.
    Save
    wp_ss_20140818_0015.png

Once you have done this, proceed to share your pictures by opening the Files app and navigate to your camera roll pictures. There you will see listed ALL the files :D Select all the files you want to transfer. I checked 2 in this example
    wp_ss_20140818_0006.png

And shared
    wp_ss_20140818_0007.png
    wp_ss_20140818_0008.png

Once I selected the ShareFolder App, a new interface opened. The App itself. Easy Peasy select the folder you just configured and tap paste :)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20140818_0009.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	77183...wp_ss_20140818_0010.png
    wp_ss_20140818_0011.png...wp_ss_20140818_0012.png
    wp_ss_20140818_0013.png...wp_ss_20140818_0014.png

Done!
    08-18-2014 09:36 PM
    Ah, didn't even think of using the Files app to share to OneDrive! Thank you! And the ShareFolder option is a great idea as well. I'll keep that handy just in case. I really appreciate your detailed tutorial.

Also, can anyone back up their apps and settings? My girlfriend goes to Settings > backup > settings+apps and taps on "back up now" and she gets an error saying "please try again later."

No explanation.

We'd be more willing to try the Nokia Software Recovery Tool if we could just guarantee to back up her stuff. But if we can't back up her apps...using the software recovery tool would wipe her app and file data. But "please try again later" really doesn't give us many options for trying to resolve the problem.

And of course we can't get support because Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview is "not official software." So we get shunned by official support.
    08-18-2014 10:22 PM
    You're welcome Dustin :)
    I still hope we get a fix for our phones (if there is any...)
    Concerning your backup issue: sadly, I can't help you there. So far, I've been able to backup my phone without issues.
    Maybe the nokia account/live account is having troubles to connect? (I think the nokia account has nothing to do here but we should check all possibilities)

Do you have the issue regardless of the connection type? (WiFi, 3g, 4g)
    Sounds to me that this might be account related. Try a soft reset, maybe that works (after all, it's Windows. Ba dum Tssss!)
    08-18-2014 10:51 PM
    Tried a soft reset multiple times, no luck :(
    Not sure if it is account related. You think it's a Nokia account thing or a Microsoft account thing? Microsoft account seems to be fine. OneDrive and other Microsoft services automatically connect as they usually do on Windows Phone. Haven't looked into Nokia.
    08-19-2014 12:24 AM
    Me, too 920 Dev Preview cant connect. Tried All solutions.
    08-19-2014 02:05 AM
    I have the backup issue ever since the latest do update; Windows 8.1 Update. I have a forum question open listing everything I've tried and nothing has worked :(

It's not an account thing. Microsoft account looks fine, can access one drive fine and has plenty of free space. I even deleted my Nokia account from phone, still have same issues :(
    08-19-2014 05:09 AM
    :( Could it be a connectivity issue? If not, my only guess is that the backup issue is causede because the OS, but that does not explain why some have it and some not.
    08-19-2014 09:46 AM
59 123