USB Cable Connectivity Issues

ElyasMacheras

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 1020 while I was visiting the States for a couple of months.
Now I'm back in Ireland and for a good 6 months the phone has been fine although having the odd connectivity issues - the computer wasn't detecting the device.
The usual reboot while connected fixed it of course.
However, this time it is a lot worse.
Any computer I connect the Lumia to can't load the driver. According to the computer it is an Unknown Device and I get error codes 43/45 from device manager.

I had to back up my videos and pictures to skydrive losing the higher resolution pictures and then doing a soft + hard reset(I am miffed a lot by this).

I also tried the Nokia Recovery Tool but as the computer was going in a crazy loop, detecting and not detecting the device it was of no use.

If it were any other phone I wouldn't care, but there is no point in having a 41mp camera phone if I can't tranfer higher res pictures without compression.

Anyway I am afraid that I may have shot myself in the foot by buying the device in the States and can't ship there or to a nearby country for repair even though I am well under warranty.

How do I go about fixing this issue? Any ideas would be great.

NB: I bought the phone from a Microsoft Store beside Central Park.
And the Lumia charges just fine btw! Loading the device driver just seems to be the problem.

Thanks.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I was going to say the usb socket might be knackered - but you mention it charges fine...

Have you tried something as simple as changing the usb cable?

For a start?

ElyasMacheras

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Mmn ok. Thanks for replying anyway. So disappointing to have it happen. I hope Microsoft/Nokia remedies this problem as it appears to be a common problem.
Otherwise I will avoid future Win phones like the plague 41 mp or not.

Anyways, thanks again.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What is the operating system you are connecting to? I am all of a sudden having issues with Windows 8.1. I have a 1520 that use to connect fine to my 2 computers, it will not longer connect to the 8.1 computers. My Lumia 1020 connects no problem. If I try connecting to a Windows 7 machine, it will connect after a restart.

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine also does the same thing and mine is from the At&t Store in the States but i live in Zimbabwe so there is no hope in taking it back. Oddly enough it started just after the 6 months mark as well. First it would work if i unlocked it, so i would increase my lock screen time to 5 mins. Now that does not work anymore. Secondly, if i jerked the cable in a certain angle it would read the phone. That trick also has expired. Now i am as good as stuck, but by virtue of it charging means the USB port on the phone is fine. Mine charges on the laptop still though it can't be read. I am also using Windows 8.1 and i might look for a PC running either Windows 7 or 8. Will update when i do.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone I found out if I try connecting to a USB 3 port on a Windows 8.1 machine I get the error. However, once I try connecting to that PC I get the error on any other computer I connect to. If I restart my phone only one machine gives me the problem.

​What I am trying to say is, if you are having problems on multiple PCs and your USB is good (phone still charges), try restarting the phone when trying each PC or USB port. I have read that some devices can behave differently between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same errors (manifestations) as the author of this thread.

I was trying to transfer pictures from the phone to my computer. The transfer just stopped. Showing a prompt that the phone got disconnected (even though I never touched the cable, or the phone - coz I was doing something in my other laptop). When I tried to reconnect the USB cable, the device is no longer detected.

I tried every trick I found on the web:
- Tried 3 different machines.
- Tried 2 different OS'es (Windows 7 with SP1, Windows 8.1).
- Tried on a newly formatted Windows 7 or 8.
- Tried on different USB ports (2.0/3.0).
- Tried 4 different original cables from my Nokia Lumia 1520, 1320, 1020, 920.
- Reinstalled USB drivers
- Factory reset the Lumia 1020.

Nothing!!!

The phone charges though.

Here's a screen grab of what happens when I connect the USB to my phone. It just loops to unknown device error.

Attachments

• Lumia 1020 USB Error.png
    Lumia 1020 USB Error.png
    812.2 KB · Views: 10

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Same boat here, charges fine but it is rarely recognized. Lucky that we can now upload the high res photos to skydrive v?a wifi. But yeah, sucks balls.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Try installing Nokia Software Recovery Tool for the latest drivers.
Sent from my RM-875_apac_malaysia_970 using Tapatalk

Thanks. But that will never make any difference. I should have clarified that that's the first thing I did on a couple of newly formatted systems.

I'm taking my phone to Nokia Care. I got a feeling it's a hardware issue and Nokia may need to replace my 1020.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Same issue on my girlfriend's Lumia 1020.

Are all of you also running the WP 8.1 Developer Preview? I was considering that might be a reason, but maybe not.

Also, my girlfriend originally backed her photos up on OneDrive in good (not great) quality. Any way to re-trigger the backup while she's on WiFi now so she can get full quality backed up photos? We tried moving the Camera Roll folder in OneDrive because people said it would trigger generating a new one, but it hasn't and no matter where the Camera Roll folder is, it still puts the backed up photos in there.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have Developer Preview in my 1020
The phone Info is this:
Software Release: Lumia Black
Firmware: 3051.40000.1347.10291
Developer Preview Version: 8.10.12400.899

Just pluged it and yeah, "Hardware not recognized"
Must be something about the developer preview.

Like your GF, Dustin, I backed up my photos and some Hi Res photos areon the Skydrive, but there are some old photos that were left behind and don't know how to upload them.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
same thing happening to me after some time on Wp8.1 developer preview...
Those getting the error connecting the phone try this.
Go to Device and Printers delete or remove the device from there and restart both phone and the computer and then connect. For me this did work it reinstalled all the driver's and now i can transfer stuff.

But odd problem still exists is that if i touch the usb cable the phone disconnects and it shows usb 2.0 slower transfer sh*t
Strange thing is phone charges properly.

Wondering should we report this issue to Nokia

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
@Amrut
Tried that, worked once and then the next time I connected, the hardware was not recognized.
Just like you:
"But odd problem still exists is that if i touch the usb cable the phone disconnects" Mine just switches to not recognized, but still charges. Weird stuff, I don't know if it is a hardware problem, software problem or just plain witchery.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm the problem my girlfriend is having does not show any device at all when plugged in. If I could get the device to register, I could easily apply drivers to it so it behaves correctly. But nothing appears. It charges when plugged in, but does not register anything on the computer that a device of any kind is plugged in.

Occasionally, it will register, and there will be a bubble in the taskbar that shows an icon and says an unknown device detected but there was a problem and to "please try again later." And it will connect, disconnect, and repeat over and over and over. But it never stays connected (as an unknown device) long enough for me to analyze or apply drivers to it. It disappears in a flash, reappears, disappears again. And this is only like every 4 tries to connect it.

Anyone else have the same kind of scenario?

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
You should see the 1020 device in the Printers and Device section of your computer even if the phone is not connected.
Try Deleting it from their or you can try Deleting from Device manager frm my Computer.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
same thing happening to me after some time on Wp8.1 developer preview...
Those getting the error connecting the phone try this.
Go to Device and Printers delete or remove the device from there and restart both phone and the computer and then connect. For me this did work it reinstalled all the driver's and now i can transfer stuff.

Wondering should we report this issue to Nokia

This is moot in my experience, since I have tried on 2 different machines that were newly formatted.

Hmm the problem my girlfriend is having does not show any device at all when plugged in. If I could get the device to register, I could easily apply drivers to it so it behaves correctly. But nothing appears. It charges when plugged in, but does not register anything on the computer that a device of any kind is plugged in.

Occasionally, it will register, and there will be a bubble in the taskbar that shows an icon and says an unknown device detected but there was a problem and to "please try again later." And it will connect, disconnect, and repeat over and over and over. But it never stays connected (as an unknown device) long enough for me to analyze or apply drivers to it. It disappears in a flash, reappears, disappears again. And this is only like every 4 tries to connect it.

Anyone else have the same kind of scenario?
This is the exact thing that happens to my 1020. It tries to install the driver, and then the error, and then tries to install the driver again - it's a vicious cycle, as long as the phone is connected to ANY USB port on any of my 4 different machines.

Yes, I am on WP 8.1 developer preview. And the sad part is that I was transferring my photos (raw) when this happened, because I was planning of downgrading to 8.0 to prepare for the official Cyan firmware.

Guys, please confirm if all of you are on WP8.1 DP. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers