1020 or Samsung K Zoom

JustCurious32

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I love my cameraphones, the camera is extremely important to me and I am going away in a couple of months and want to take a phone that has an excellent camera as I don't want to take a separate camera.

I've seen the K Zoom and it does interest me, I like android, I have mostly always used android and the 10x zoom is appealing but do you think it will be a better camera phone than the 1020? I know this is a Windows Forum and some people might be biased but I'd like an honest opinion. I know that's not easy with no real samples from the K Zoom though.

I do know the 1020 has a much bigger sensor which obviously goes in it's favour, also regarding the zoom on the 1020 is it true that you can zoom in up to 25x after taking pictures? It's 4x for when actually taking pictures isn't it?

I don't know if i'd move to Windows Phone, some apps I use aren't there but at least Ebay seems to be better now and Kik, Whataspp, Facebook,Twitter and my banking apps are now there so I wouldn't miss out on too much.

Opinions please, thanks.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
What apps do you think isn't on Windows Phone? Also, looking at pure specs and all that jazz is fine, but Nokia is held as the #1 in mobile photography for a reason. Their PureView technology is amazing, even in 8mp shooters. Like you said it's hard to say right now about the K Zoom, but no wat would I bypass the 1020 if the camera was #1 to me.

Also, found this. http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds...nt_zoom_camera_and_a_mediocre_smartphone.html

Remember, WP runs smooth on hardware deprived devices like the 520. Also, 8GB storage? Pffft. You'll run out of room in 50 pictures

JustCurious32

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
What apps do you think isn't on Windows Phone? Also, looking at pure specs and all that jazz is fine, but Nokia is held as the #1 in mobile photography for a reason. Their PureView technology is amazing, even in 8mp shooters. Like you said it's hard to say right now about the K Zoom, but no wat would I bypass the 1020 if the camera was #1 to me.

Also, found this. The Samsung Galaxy K combines a decent zoom camera and a mediocre smartphone

Remember, WP runs smooth on hardware deprived devices like the 520. Also, 8GB storage? Pffft. You'll run out of room in 50 pictures
Thanks for the reply.

I use Sky Sport Score Centre, SongPop, Timehop, Snapchat etc, as far as I know none of these are on Windows Phone.

The 808 is Number 1 for cameraphones isn't it?

I also don't understand how today because of this comparison Retro chic: Nokia 808 PureView vs Xperia Z2 photo samples pop up

That people think the Z2 takes better pictures than the 808? Even I know that's not true.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I use Sky Sport Score Centre, SongPop, Timehop, Snapchat etc, as far as I know none of these are on Windows Phone.

The 808 is Number 1 for cameraphones isn't it?

I also don't understand how today because of this comparison Retro chic: Nokia 808 PureView vs Xperia Z2 photo samples pop up

That people think the Z2 takes better pictures than the 808? Even I know that's not true.

the 808 has the same camera as the 1020 as far as i know.

You know, there are many apps here which would do the job of the apps you mentioned pretty well. And interestingly, the unofficial snapchat client here, called 6snap by Rudy huyn who's one of the most respected devs here, its actually better than the offical apps. You should try to find out more about third party solutions to the mentioned apps.

And lastly, Nokia's post processing of images is stunning. Even my 520, it takes way more sharp and realistically coloured images than most Samsung phones. (not talking about K zoom though).

You know, you'd be impressed by wp if you switch. It is really amazing unless you want more indie games. I'm glad i picked a wp !

Oh not to mention, the size of K zoom is... Ahem.. 20mm is just too much. 1020 is much more sleek and cool.

dennisfang1

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to go into a wp8 vs android debate, you can probably make up your own mind, but in terms of image quality, the 1020 should blow the samsung into the weeds. As you pointed out, it has a bigger sensor (that is actually twice as big) and its aperture is so much larger at 2.2 as opposed to 3.2 on the samsung. Furthermore, as you zoom in on the k zoom, the aperture gets progressively smaller to something like F6 or something. So essentially, the 1020 has better overall image quality and looks more like a normal smartphone than the k zoom, however, if zoom is that important to you, I can't deny that the samsung is miles ahead, the 1020 starts to fall apart beyond 2x. cheers

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to go into a wp8 vs android debate, you can probably make up your own mind, but in terms of image quality, the 1020 should blow the samsung into the weeds. As you pointed out, it has a bigger sensor (that is actually twice as big) and its aperture is so much larger at 2.2 as opposed to 3.2 on the samsung. Furthermore, as you zoom in on the k zoom, the aperture gets progressively smaller to something like F6 or something. So essentially, the 1020 has better overall image quality and looks more like a normal smartphone than the k zoom, however, if zoom is that important to you, I can't deny that the samsung is miles ahead, the 1020 starts to fall apart beyond 2x. cheers

i dont think it falls apart that early. It has 41MP as compared to 16 on K zoom, so you can effectively zoom as much as (41/16)^(0.5) times (approx 1.7 times) while getting as good a resolution as the K zoom. Beyond that, yes the zoom should fall apart a bit, but i think that much is fine. Besides, higher zooms aren't very practical on phones, due to shaking etc.
But still, it cant be denied that K zoom has got some zooming prowess the 1020 cant beat. Though it is at the cost of form-factor.

P.s. I remember that all lumias have their aperture in between f/2.0 to f/2.4 (my 520 has 2.4), try beat that K zoom ! ;)

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget aside from sensor size and quality the #1 determination of quality from a digital camera is the glass used for the lens. With the Nokia 1020 they use Zeiss glass...Nuff said.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the Samsung K Zoom is only equivalent to a cheap Point-and-Shoot with Android and calling capability. There are many small-sensor superzoom (more than 20x) cameras in the market, and I've used to have one myself. In theory it sounds good to have optical zoom that extends so far - 10x, 20x, 30x etc. But in practice, the actual application tends to be quite limited. How often do you actually need to zoom into something at the top of a tower? Bear in mind, when you zoom in so far away, you lose the bigger picture, the sense of perspective. The 1020's "zoom reinvented" at least has a more interesting application; it allows you to capture a normal landscape, and you will be able to zoom in after the fact, or to enlarge a particular section of your photo to be superimposed on the original photo (e.g. SoZoom-style).

Also, bear in mind that the Samsung K Zoom's optical zoom is practically unusable in lowlight. The aperture (range of f3.1 - 6.3) is quite small, and it will struggle badly in lowlight even if zoom is not being used. It gets MUCH worse when you zoom in. Fully zoomed, the maximum aperture is only f6.3, which is 12% of the 1020's aperture size(!!). With only one-tenth of light passing through the lens, you will struggle to capture ANY lowlight picture with zoom, even if you use a tripod.

vinrulez

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I love my cameraphones, the camera is extremely important to me and I am going away in a couple of months and want to take a phone that has an excellent camera as I don't want to take a separate camera.

I've seen the K Zoom and it does interest me, I like android, I have mostly always used android and the 10x zoom is appealing but do you think it will be a better camera phone than the 1020? I know this is a Windows Forum and some people might be biased but I'd like an honest opinion. I know that's not easy with no real samples from the K Zoom though.

I do know the 1020 has a much bigger sensor which obviously goes in it's favour, also regarding the zoom on the 1020 is it true that you can zoom in up to 25x after taking pictures? It's 4x for when actually taking pictures isn't it?

I don't know if i'd move to Windows Phone, some apps I use aren't there but at least Ebay seems to be better now and Kik, Whataspp, Facebook,Twitter and my banking apps are now there so I wouldn't miss out on too much.

Opinions please, thanks.

Please go through the following links you will get a clear picture of what Lumia 1020 is

DxO Optics Pro v9.1.5 now supports the Nokia Lumia 1020, the first RAW-compatible mobile phone | WMPoweruser

Are Lumia 1020 users itching for the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom? | Windows Phone Central

"The Samsung is almost 21mp rear camera but of course it uses optical zoom for cropping resolution. The 1020 uses oversampling in a 41mp sensor to achieve cropping resolution, so completely different approaches."

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You are right the 808 did have a larger sensor and two more optics in the lens. Also remember its the quality of the sensor too which nokias has been praised for. Also since the sensor is larger bokeh is better and for anyone who has ever compared 35mm sensors with equivalent mp medium format sensors the size of the pixel has a large effect on the quality of the image. If it says anything I bought my wife the 1020 and she hardly touches her canon g series point and shoot I got her which is the highest end point and shoot canon makes.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we should be to harsh on the kzoom , they have slimmed it down , the design looks much better then last years s4 zoom , the phone specs are much better , it has xenon flash which is always nice to have in a mobile camera and makes the camera more versatile , it has a handy 10x zoom to me it looks like they have tried more with this model then last years model and even though it is a camera phone I don't think it should be compared to the 1020 , mainly because I think we should appreciate it as a good camera phone and something different to the 1020

the thing that disappoints me about the kzoom is it is quite a thick design because of the optical zoom design but it still houses cheap camera components from a ?120 pont and shoot camera a pretty small sensor set up , think about if Samsung took away the zoom lens , it would free up loads of space , they could then opt for a high quality prime lens and instead of a small sensor opting for a 1" rx100 type sensor ......... wowsa

I have to give credit to Samsung for one thing ........ making a fat device to house the needed internals instead of slimming the device down and making do with what would fit it ..... they know it was camera phone and decided to allow it to be a bit thicker to get the 10x zoom in ...... nokia made the 1020 on the opposite terms , they knew the 1020 was a camera centric device but they were scared to have a thick device after the 920 getting called heavy ..... they made the sensor smaller then the 808 , the removed the nd filter , they removed wireless charging , they made the xenon smaller then the 808 all so they could have a slim camera phone ..... imagine if nokia had taken samsungs approach bar the 10x zoom .... we are making a camera phone here it is going to be a bit thicker as we want a bigger sensor , better optics , bigger xenon flash , prime lens ....... so I do think Samsung deserve some credit for this device and hopefully it shows nokia that a camera phone can be a little different :)

that's the thing with the kzoom it just feels a little wasted , its a big device and I would much rather have a 1020 type approach to things with huge sensor and high end optics coupled with some oversampling to eliminate noise ..... as it is we have a cheap point and shoot built into a phone , it will be a versatile camera but the quality wont be as good as the 808/1020

maybe Samsung should release a kzoom prime and remove the zoom lens and opt for a bigger sensor and better optics like the 1020 :) now that really would be something to talk about ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett