Nokia Lumia 1020, 625, 620, or 520

LogicalKoopa

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I can't decide what WP to get. I'm on Rogers in Canada and my options are a 1020, 520, and 625. But I can also get an unlocked version of the 620 on eBay for about $100. I mainly want to play some games (512MB RAM a problem?), listen to podcasts, email/social, YouTube, Office, and I would like as much memory as I can.

Prices are: 1020-$50
625-$0
520-$0
620(off contract)-$99

Which would you recommend. I need good storage (preferably expandable) and all of these have pretty good cameras. Thanks!

LogicalKoopa

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
My worries for each: 1020-I don't need a huge camera and is the 2GB RAM overkill for WP8?
520-No front camera and worst quality screen.
620-The best option, but I would need to buy unlocked.
625-Screen PPI worries me.
Thanks again everyone!

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I would probably do the 620 mostly because I'm not a fan of being trapped in a contract (and since it seems like we're on the cusp of a new wave of Windows Phones). My brother has a 520 and I'm not impressed enough with the build quality (spoiled myself with a 920) to ever make that my daily driver. The power button broke on his phone, which thankfully isn't a huge deal due to double tap to wake, and his volume rocker is starting to go out as well. He's probably pretty rough on his phone, so that may just be an isolated incident. The 620 has pretty solid features for that price, albeit the screen would be a tad small for my taste

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
You got quite an interesting choice of devices there for a single reason: Three out of for devices are more budget friendly smartphones, while one, the 1020, is a (former) flagship device. You'll notice the differences in many aspects, starting with build quality over to internal hardware power all the way to the screen.

You said you want as much memory s you can, which almost rule out those three budget phones: They all come with just 8 gigs of memory and you can't expand it via memory cards. The big camera phone however comes with for times the memory and sports 32gigs. Although you can't expand it as well, it gives you much more space for all the stuff you need.
So the first question is how much memory do you really need? There are lots of people who do just fine with eight gig phones. Others struggle rather fast: Install a big 3d game like Asphalt 8 and you already got a single gigabyte less. Add a medium mp3 library with two gigs plus maybe one or two longer videos and your available space is almost depleted.

If you don't have any locally stored videos on your phone anyways and aren't into those big 3d games, things can suddenly look a lot brighter. So casual users with just a few simple games, some mp3 albums and a couple of pictures can deal with the rather limited memory just fine.

Those two gigs of ram aren't really overkill, they don't do any harm. Plus it is not really sure whether the OS itself can actually access that additional gigabyte, there has been word it is hardwired to the camera.
Out of all three devices the 1020 surely sports the best overall package and if you have 100 bucks to spend anyways I personally wouldn't really bother with the other three phones. Maybe the 620 since you can avoid a long running contract and instead get a more flexible plan instead.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Ive had the 620 and didn't like the build quality the snap on back case was similar to the 820 design but poorer quality and didn't fit as securely ,also the micro sd gate that holds the memcard in position in is very prone to bending,im careful with such things but still managed to pull it off a few times and need bend its pins in again.

Also had the 520 and actually prefer that to the 620 but once again the snap on back cover feels poor fit ,but the sd card location is better as it goes in a slot

both good prices though which makes thrm good sellers

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I can't decide what WP to get. I'm on Rogers in Canada and my options are a 1020, 520, and 625. But I can also get an unlocked version of the 620 on eBay for about $100. I mainly want to play some games (512MB RAM a problem?), listen to podcasts, email/social, YouTube, Office, and I would like as much memory as I can. Yes, the 512 MB significantly handicaps the devices in the gaming department. The other departments not as much.

Prices are: 1020-$50
625-$0
520-$0
620(off contract)-$99

Which would you recommend. I need good storage (preferably expandable) and all of these have pretty good cameras. Not exactly, the 1020 is THE camera, but the others aren't too great being budget devices. Thanks!
All of those are 8 GB with an SD card, the 1020 is 32 GB without. So it depends on whether you want to pay for an SD later.

My worries for each: 1020-I don't need a huge camera and is the 2GB RAM overkill for WP8? I'd take the 2 GB, won't hurt. The other cameras aren't exactly amazing though.
520-No front camera and worst quality screen. Actually, it and the 625 have similar displays. The 625 is just larger.
620-The best option, but I would need to buy unlocked. Unlocked = much much more freedom to choose your carrier and plan. That model is probably the most well rounded.
625-Screen PPI worries me. Won't be a giant problem as devices like the iPhone 3GS and other older devices had lower PPI. So it won't be unusable, just less than what's out there today. However, it and the 520 both have the lowest quality screens in this generation. It's something you want to judge for yourself. Worth noting it has the largest battery (tie with the 1020 at 2000 mAh) however it is not replaceable, unlike the 520/620.
Thanks again everyone!

I'm also a newbie to phones, how does an unlocked phone have a more flexible plan? An unlocked phone means you have much more flexibility in choosing your plan. Buying locked/on-contract means you can only use it on one carrier/have little freedom to choose a plan and a price to match. Which can potentially save you a lot if you look.

my input in bold above

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just gonna get an iPhone 5s

----------------------------------------------------------------

Haha.. was this your intention all along. You just came on here to fire us up... Well between the 1020 and the 5S.. that is the worst decision youll ever make. Hers why:

5S is locked down to iTunes, WP8 is open to any Plug and Play media player and any cloud storage.
5S has a cheap 8MP camera.. 1020, even at 5MP oversample is one of the best Camera phones available
5S has a cheap plastic body that only looks like glass and metal because with some WD40, hair laquer and a Corn Flakes Box.. you can make anything look like an Apple iphone.. 1020 is true plastic and an un-shamably polycarbonate.
5S only has more apps because theres 25 re-titled versions of exactly the same app on the app store, 1020 has intelligent apps
5S has a cheap retina display, which is useless if your blind .. 1020 has true AMOLED for those lovely colours, which allows poor sighted people to use it by the feel of the heat when it frys after 6 months
After 6 years of no development leaps, the 5S got a reskinned Android they stunningly called IOS7... 1020 is getting Lumia Sensible Cyan WP8.1 in a few weeks, so called because 90% of the new additions are so sensible, they shouldve been in since day 1, but its a masive leap forward in common sense design.
5S is stupidly expensive, even on Contract.. 1020 has come down alot

You know it makes sense, buy a Lumia and join us or go buy your 5S and be lost forever.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Off contract plans are much much cheaper than being in a contract, and you aren't forced to stick with it. I.E. you could get a new phone in 6mo if you aren't on a contract, you could change your plan if you wanted at any time off contract, etc

I.e. on T-mobile, you can get a plan that is only $30/mo, but gives you unlimited data (first 5GB at 4G speeds), unlimited texting, and 100/mo. This is only available off-contract, and you can cancel it or switch any time.

IF YOU ARE ON CONTRACT however you can expect to pay almost double for a similar plan, and you are stuck on that plan for 2 years. In the end, you pay a LOT more money by staying on a contract than just buying a phone outright and doing a no-contract plan.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like seeing someone defending Windows Phone, don't spread misinformation maliciously like that. I've seen the stuff fly my way and it aint pretty. doesn't give you a license to hate either.

I'll admit, the immediate 5s plot twist is slightly suspicious in that sense.
anyways, I consider the iTunes use a con like Mr. Orchid above, on Windows its bloated. Want to load up stuff? Nope. Not as convenient. I'll admit the album artwork was a lot more expansive.
The 1020 is indeed the cameraphone to beat, but the 5s is no slouch. As much as I want to believe my 920 beats it, k don't know. But it certainly will blow the other phones in your list out of the water. but that's expected. Its a fine snapper, but it lacks some amenities like direct manual controls and hardware image stabilization.

iPhones are fine products, and being built well is a high point. The 5s is made of metal and glass. It isn't plastic. Design is always subjective, but both are great. sue me.

App gap exists. Its not as bad as the Android/iOS counterparts to our friend here say, but its noticeable.
The iPhone display is quite good. Isn't as big, but whether that's good or bad is subjective. I don't know what this kid's saying. Grasping at straws...

Ok, done someone can handle the rest should they choose, id prefer a mod drop in though, I'm going to bed. Someone needs nap time too I take it.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
As much as I like seeing someone defending Windows Phone, don't spread misinformation maliciously like that. I've seen the stuff fly my way and it aint pretty. doesn't give you a license to hate either.

Oh come on friend.. you dont really think I was hating do you?. I was making a small joke at a potentially firey situation, poking fun at both devices equally as no device is ever perfect.. yes the 1020 has its faults too. My bro has an iPhone 4S, my mate has a 5S and my dad an iPad 4, I think their fantastic, but its the being locked into iTunes is the ONLY reason I dont own an Apple.

I hope you dont take offense and laugh it off.

Enjoy your day friend :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh come on friend.. you dont really think I was hating do you?. I was making a small joke at a potentially firey situation, poking fun at both devices equally as no device is ever perfect.. yes the 1020 has its faults too. My bro has an iPhone 4S, my mate has a 5S and my dad an iPad 4, I think their fantastic, but its the being locked into iTunes is the ONLY reason I dont own an Apple.

I hope you dont take offense and laugh it off.

Enjoy your day friend :)

it's been a long day yesterday
but aha, I didnt pick it up, in my defense at least it was indistinguishable from some of the stuff I see elsewhere and thought it simply leaked here.
whoops

LogicalKoopa

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL But seriously guys, I can't decide. there are so many pros and cons of each OS. I'll wait to see what the Moto X+1 is like, then decide which opf the four platforms I'll use

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
it's been a long day yesterday
but aha, I didnt pick it up, in my defense at least it was indistinguishable from some of the stuff I see elsewhere and thought it simply leaked here.
whoops

Ahh no worries. I get days like that at least once a week, so I get ya :). I try to ignore the rubbish on the web, its mostly rumour milling anyway, but it does get tiring :).

It sounds like your really stuck here LogicalKoopa. You have to look at what you want from your phone..

Android is great for customisation and fully overhauling, especially ROMS, but can be clunky at times.
Apple is great, tons of Accessories and 3rd party addons, its fluid and easy to use, however your locked to iTunes, which on Windows 7/8 is horrible.
WP8 has the freedom of Plug and Play, for me, I like the app store but I do understand people who critisise it limits.. especially when coming from Android or Apple.

The best thing see if you can try a few devices out in a store and see how they feel

Enjoy :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven