OneDrive backs up hi res photos?

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm posting this in the 1020 forum because i'm referring to the hi res photos....mods please move if needed.

Ever since using the 8.1 dev preview, I noticed something odd about the photo sizes up my camera roll folder on OneDrive. I currently have my backup settings for "best quality (wi-fi only)" for pictures (videos are not backed up). However, ALL photo sizes are around 10 MB, and the dimensions confirm that it is the hi-res 38 MP shots being backed up, not the 5 MP oversampled photos. This never happened prior to the 8.1 preview. Anyone else notice this?

o_OAndys

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm posting this in the 1020 forum because i'm referring to the hi res photos....mods please move if needed.

Ever since using the 8.1 dev preview, I noticed something odd about the photo sizes up my camera roll folder on OneDrive. I currently have my backup settings for "best quality (wi-fi only)" for pictures (videos are not backed up). However, ALL photo sizes are around 10 MB, and the dimensions confirm that it is the hi-res 38 MP shots being backed up, not the 5 MP oversampled photos. This never happened prior to the 8.1 preview. Anyone else notice this?
so your WANTING the smaller sized pics saved?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
so your WANTING the smaller sized pics saved?

I think he is just asking a question mate , not many people have picked up on this and it isn't very well documented but it is quite a big change , when you 1st find out it is quite surprising , I personally think there should be an option as to how high quality you want (5mp/34mp) I don't want every high res shot uploaded at 10mb a pop and would much rather have the 5mp upload and then me upload the 34mp images I want

everyone will have different opinions on this , so an option would be best I think

but as to the op original query , yep when you select high quality to be backed up it backs up the 34mp image on 8.1 preview

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't really mind, but it was surprising to see the change. and for people with only a free acct, space will be eaten up 10x as fast.
buxz777, do you know what size uploads if I choose medium quality? I'd choose that but don't want to use cell data if I can avoid it.

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have 160GB to use on my OneDrive (all free via promos) so I definitely like the change to back up only the high res versions.

Saying that, an option would be nice.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
There was an excellent article by Steven Litchfield about the Photo Backup changes on allaboutwindowsphone.com the other day.

Last edited:

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
thanks everyone for the info and article link. I don't mind that the hi-res photos are being backed up (and the article provides a good explanation why), it was just confusing for me moving photos on OneDrive - it was taking so long. It would have been immensely helpful if the filename still contained "hi_res."

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

antodelg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's not a bug, it's been changed on purpose and will stay this way.

Nop, in fact, the autoupload system take the wrong file (the name of the wrong uploaded file (34/38 mp) is the same as the name of the 5 MP version). But since we are using the (black) firmware for WP 8.0, due to change of camera roll , WP 8.1 can not differentiate between the two photos (5 and 34/38), and upload the wrong one.

I have confirmation fron nokia support about this is a known bug and they will fix it with cyan (thankfully :D)

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Nop, in fact, the autoupload system take the wrong file (the name of the wrong uploaded file (34/38 mp) is the same as the name of the 5 MP version). But since we are using the (black) firmware for WP 8.0, due to change of camera roll , WP 8.1 can not differentiate between the two photos (5 and 34/38), and upload the wrong one.

I have confirmation fron nokia support about this is a known bug and they will fix it with cyan (thankfully :D)

Nokia support have given you wrong information then. It's been verified that this has changed on purpose.

It is a bug that a reframed image gets uploaded unframed again (fixed in the Nokia camera beta), but it's not a bug that the high res photo gets uploaded.

antodelg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, nokia support was wrong, and you're not :p :wink:

Autoupload feature is not related to the double capture feature of the lumia 1020... WP 8.1 with "black firmware" can't make the distinction between 5mp and 34/38 mp. It uploads the last picture saved on the file system, but takes the name from the gallery, then you have the 34/38 MP being uploaded, but with the name of the 5 MP version (without "_highres".)

Thankfully, it seems that with cyan, it will work in the most logical way: uploading the 5 mp photo ^_^, and we will not have to suffer the (useless for most of situations) 34/38 MP version on OneDrive :p

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, nokia support was wrong, and you're not :p :wink:

Autoupload feature is not related to the double capture feature of the lumia 1020... WP 8.1 with "black firmware" can't make the distinction between 5mp and 34/38 mp. It uploads the last picture saved on the file system, but takes the name from the gallery, then you have the 34/38 MP being uploaded, but with the name of the 5 MP version (without "_highres".)

Thankfully, it seems that with cyan, it will work in the most logical way: uploading the 5 mp photo ^_^, and we will not have to suffer the (useless for most of situations) 34/38 MP version on OneDrive :p

I wouldn't say uploading high resolution is useless. I edit photos on my Note 3 and iPad all the time and I love being able to upload full resolution.

The other way to upload full resolution is to use pocket file manager. You can select the full resolution image and share to OneDrive :)

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I would love to be able to select which version to upload from the settings. I think uploading the high-res one is better, but some people might like the 5MP one. Hopefully they can add this to the back-up settings with Cyan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium