Is the 1020 worth it now?

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
There have been quite a few threads regarding this very matter over the last couple of weeks - just look back a page or two.

There are two types of answers here:
No it is not worth it because it is almost a year old and the basic internal hardware like CPU or battery is actually the same used in the 920 which is even older.
Yes because it still has the best camera, daily operation is absolutely smooth plus usually you can get it for quite decent prices today, quite cheaper than a new flagship would be. Last but not least the phone didn't get worse over time it only got better, especially with Nokia Cyan somewhere on the horizon.

The most major downsides of this phone are battery life which is average at best and shot-to-shot times. Image processing on the 1020 takes quite a time after taking a picture and you have to wait before taking the next one.
Besides that I really can't complain about anything at all. Of course if you are heavily into mobile gaming you might want to consider something with more modern hardware like the 1520 or 930/Icon. Yet the current 3d games like Asphalt 8 run just fine most of the time.
For most other tasks and operations, the existing hardware is good enough to deliver a fast, smooth and reliable user experience.

I have to say I wouldn't have bought it when I had to pay recent retail prices. My carrier offered me the 64gig version for just?270 which was a real steal considering the 32gig variants retailed for more than ?480 back in March. However even the off-contract prices have dropped heavily around here and start at ?380 nowadays. A price I kind of start consider to still be reasonable for a long term phone. Especially if you take the camera in mind, which is a great thing on its own.

asset

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
when i see such questions i just thinking about electronic improvement on hand held or desktop or any other electronic devices that cannot be so shiny in just two years or even more e.g:
my computer was assembled on 2008 after about 6-7 year i still playing high quality video game on top graphical configuration and still getting 40-60 raw FPS.
you know some improvement is just marketing like quad core , octa core what the hell is that?how many percentage of apps is available in the store using quad core threading ow man cmon its just marketing I respect to samsung and android but seems they find new galaxy , counting a number , assign it to their product and sell it to people out there year after year but still having performance issue after even galaxy S2 and android 2.

anyway my Lumia 1020 experience is just awesome no lag no hang no any other annoying...
playing heavy real time rendering 3D game without any issue.
just battery seems to be the serious problem that when i want heavy task use my grip to add 1020mA up.

JOHN Smith88

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you either get 1020 or 1520 . Got 1020 it's much smoother then my s3 and have no issues with 8.1 on it . Don't see nokia having new 1030 before end of this year .
As for lag on the camera I use regular camera app for regular photos and for pics I need zoom I use nokia app . What it comes down it what you use this phone for

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
when i see such questions i just thinking about electronic improvement on hand held or desktop or any other electronic devices that cannot be so shiny in just two years or even more e.g:
my computer was assembled on 2008 after about 6-7 year i still playing high quality video game on top graphical configuration and still getting 40-60 raw FPS.
you know some improvement is just marketing like quad core , octa core what the hell is that?how many percentage of apps is available in the store using quad core threading ow man cmon its just marketing I respect to samsung and android but seems they find new galaxy , counting a number , assign it to their product and sell it to people out there year after year but still having performance issue after even galaxy S2 and android 2.

anyway my Lumia 1020 experience is just awesome no lag no hang no any other annoying...
playing heavy real time rendering 3D game without any issue.
just battery seems to be the serious problem that when i want heavy task use my grip to add 1020mA up.

this ^

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you either get 1020 or 1520 . Got 1020 it's much smoother then my s3 and have no issues with 8.1 on it . Don't see nokia having new 1030 before end of this year .
As for lag on the camera I use regular camera app for regular photos and for pics I need zoom I use nokia app . What it comes down it what you use this phone for

funny you say that I used my mates s3 yesterday to do some things for him on , wow it was lagging like hell , he has had it over a year and hasn't formatted it etc , it was a slow hunk of junk , even the browser

I guess windows phone has made me appreciate a fluid , fast operating system ;-)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat a month ago, having to decide between the 1020 and the 1520. The 1020 won, reasons for me: Mainly the camera, as I don't have a dedicated camera since my last one broke down. The lastest technology is tempting, but it will be the second latest a short while after I bought it, so is it really worth it to spend more money for the latest, just to enjoy having the latest for maybe half a year? To me, it isn't, as I'll have my present phone for much longer. Last but not least, the my provider had just dropped the price of the 1020 recently,another advantage of chosing not having to have the latest model.
One month later, and I'm very happy with my camera, um, phone. Will I suffer from latesttech-envy in the future? Maybe. But I'm sure the gorgeous pics I can make with my 1020 will help me getting over it.

pemarchon

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony Xperia ZL and I'm thinking about having it replaced for the Lumia 1020. Do you think it is recommendable? Camera is one a primary need for me, but I don't want to sacrifice user experience regarding to speed and so on..

Avenzuno

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I think it is. I suspect the new Microsoft-controlled Nokia will not want to release a 41-megapixel camera anymore. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then I think a new 1030 would be announced this summer for release this fall. I myself am pondering replacing my aging Nexus 4 with a 1020, but I might just wait for a 1030 or iPhone 6 this fall.

Last edited:

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
While the 1020's camera is great, it has specifications that are almost 2 years old. You get chequerboard patterns when browsing, the camera is slow to start up, the snap-to-snap times are slow, the battery life is poor and the bezels are massive. And if you're into mobile gaming, you better hope it doesn't get any more advanced in the coming 2 years.

Some will claim the 1020 is a niche device. They do forget just how popular the 1020 was though. People want camera flagships, and Nokia/Microsoft needs to keep the imaging flagship line healthy to keep sales up and differentiate themselves.

I'd definitely wait until this autumn for a 1030 to arrive.

pemarchon

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it is. I suspect the new Microsoft-controlled Nokia will not want to release a 41-megapixel camera anymore. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then I think a new 1030 would be announced this summer for release this fall. I myself am pondering replacing my aging Nexus 4 with a 1020, but I might just wait for a 1030 or iPhone 6 this fall.
You think there will be a 1030 soon? In my country, the Lumia 1020 arrived in December and just now it's price has been cut down 50%, that's why I am doubting. Not much of an IPhone fan and also they do not sell those here in Argentina. If you get them they are ridiculously expensive.

While the 1020's camera is great, it has specifications that are almost 2 years old. You get chequerboard patterns when browsing, the camera is slow to start up, the snap-to-snap times are slow, the battery life is poor and the bezels are massive. And if you're into mobile gaming, you better hope it doesn't get any more advanced in the coming 2 years.

Some will claim the 1020 is a niche device. They do forget just how popular the 1020 was though. People want camera flagships, and Nokia/Microsoft needs to keep the imaging flagship line healthy to keep sales up and differentiate themselves.

I'd definitely wait until this autumn for a 1030 to arrive.
You get chequerboard patterns while browsing? That's inaceptable. It always happens? It didn't improve with Windows Phone 8.1? Not so much of a gamer, just Candycrush and Simpsons Springfield which are both unavailable in Windows Store. I read in other forums that with this phone, I would get a fluid experience, not chequeboards.
Also, they model which is sold here is the RM -877. Next year in my country, Argentina, LTE will be available. Will the 1020 be able to handle that network or not?
Thanks in advance

Enviado desde mi C6502 mediante Tapatalk

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
You get chequerboard patterns while browsing? That's inaceptable. It always happens? It didn't improve with Windows Phone 8.1?

The chequerboarding is about as "bad" as in this video (Go to 2:37): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1JUykQBKw#t=2m37s
The processor is 2 years old so it's not a surprise. If you didn't get the 1020 until December though, I wouldn't expect to see a potential 1030 for another year.

pemarchon

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
The chequerboarding is about as "bad" as in this video (Go to 2:37): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1JUykQBKw#t=2m37s
The processor is 2 years old so it's not a surprise. If you didn't get the 1020 until December though, I wouldn't expect to see a potential 1030 for another year.

Well there are another videos with the 8.1 update on board and it's much better. The video you showed me, made me remember my Blackberry 9780 which was a pain in the neck. No I don't think I would see it either. I think that I am going to keep my ZL. It's a pretty good phone. Thanks!

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
While I didn't watch that video, I didn't encounter any chequerboarding at all while browsing in those almost three months I own this device now. Maybe I am browsing the wrong pages, yet page loading in general is quite decent.

Having said that of course anybody can agree the internal specs of the 1020 are those of the 920, which by now is moving towards its second year anniversary. So especially gaming fans might get into trouble once the more powerful 8.1 handsets are getting into more peoples hands. Also don't forget many games are ported over from Android and iOS, which also have more powerful flagships since some time.

I can only suggest to try one for yourself. If you can't get your hands on a 1020, try to find a 920, 925 or I think 928, while they don't have the camera, they offer the same performance. So you can check whether it's good enough for your needs or not.

pemarchon

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
While I didn't watch that video, I didn't encounter any chequerboarding at all while browsing in those almost three months I own this device now. Maybe I am browsing the wrong pages, yet page loading in general is quite decent.

Having said that of course anybody can agree the internal specs of the 1020 are those of the 920, which by now is moving towards its second year anniversary. So especially gaming fans might get into trouble once the more powerful 8.1 handsets are getting into more peoples hands. Also don't forget many games are ported over from Android and iOS, which also have more powerful flagships since some time.

I can only suggest to try one for yourself. If you can't get your hands on a 1020, try to find a 920, 925 or I think 928, while they don't have the camera, they offer the same performance. So you can check whether it's good enough for your needs or not.

What's mind-blowing about the 1020 is it's camera. I want to give that a try honestly. And I think that overall it's a good handset. If I get one, I will write down my review. Thank you. What about LTE?

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I definitelly think it is worth, considering that Cyan is coming and the iPhone 6 does not promise anything we hadn't seen in Android phones. Though Lumia 1020 is elegant, fast, and with an awesome camera I strongly doubt we'll see on some other mobile device soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs