Should I grab a 1020 or wait for the "possibility" of a 930?

BZanZ

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey! first post lol

I live in Canada and we are not officially getting the 930 yet so I am torn as to what to get. im currently using an iphone 5 and as a proud owner of a surface 2 I am looking to convert everything over to windows.

my main concerns about getting the 1020 now are:

sub 1080p screen - worried I will be able to have less icons on the home screen

battery life - worried the massive camera will be a drain (iphone hardly lasts a day)
power - I know that win runs pretty smooth but I want to have it for atleast 1.5 years and I would like it to preform well for that period of time.

software updates - I would like it to continue to get the latest software updates for atleast that period of time (1.5 years)

can anyone with this phone comment on those concerns? is there any other reason you might wait to see what happens in canada for the next nokia flagship?

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are a photographer or just like to take too many photos then Pick Lumia 1020!
Even though Lumia 930 has a good camera (20MP) but its nothing in front of the "Monster Camera" of Lumia 1020!

And If you go Specification wise then Lumia 930's Quad Core Processor definitely steals the show!

Windows Phone's Update Cycle is definitely the shortest!
I mean we'll be getting two updates before 2014 ends!

Now Its your Choice!

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
To answer your straight questions first:

1. The 930 will have more icons out of the box. The 1020 however will also get the third icon row once the Cyan update hits - or you can just install the 8.1 developer preview right on and get this feature once you have the device. AFAIK the new 1080p devices however will feature six quick settings buttons within the action center vs. four buttons on 720p or below devices.

2. The camera shouldn't be an actual concern in terms of battery life, since it only consumes power when it is active. However the 1020 only sports a (by todays standards) underwhelming 2000mAH battery which has to fire the rather big 4.5" AMOLED display. So battery performance really isn't the 1020s strongest point, actually it is quite the opposite: Underwhelming battery performance is my number one critical point I have with this device. Increase the battery by 20-30% and it is fine.

3. Windows Phone 8(.1) indeed runs very well. General navigation through menus and homescreens is completely smooth. Overall performance is also smooth. Personally I am only worried about the futureproof when it comes to advanced 3d games, which always require the fastest computing power available. So the newer phones like 930 or 1520 of course have an advantage here. When I played with a 1520, I have to say I spotted only minor differences in terms of daily operating performance. Some apps load a bit faster, the same accounts for resuming multitasked applications. But that doesn't mean the 1020 is slow.

4. The 1020 has been launched almost one year ago and will at least get the big Cyan update which brings 8.1 to the existing WP8 devices. I'm quite positive it will keep getting updates throughout this year and most likely throughout the next year.

After all it comes down to the camera and the price: Do you need the power and features the 1020 camera offers over the one of the 930? Last but not least the 1020 dropped heavily in price, at least around here you can save almost €200 for an off-contract 1020 compared to an off-contract 930. Some european carriers also had special deals lately for the 1020 - actually I got mine for €270 for renewing my o2 contract.
I also recommend reading a page or two back on this forum, there is at least one 1020 vs. 930 topic per week lately ;)

BZanZ

May 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the replies! I might just go with the 1020 as I dont even know for sure if the 930 will even come to canada and Im not interested in playing 3D mobile games, as I have an xbox one for that! ;) I will dig deeper into the forums though for those comparison topics.

currently the 1020 is 49.99 CAN if i renew with my carrier and a new nokia flagship if we got one will atleast be 199.99.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
1020 is simply amazing, I just bought it 2 days ago. Originally had a 920 but I think the firmware is totally screwed up... On the other hand, the 1020 takes amazing pictures on day 1 and the ability to manipulate the raw data is simply a big big plus, I would even say it's essential if you're a serious photographer.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat, my wife disliked the battery life of the 820 coming from her 900. I had the
920, and ended up giving it to her and getting the 1020, I love that I have an awesome camera with me all the time, otherwise every thing is pretty similar to having the 920.

Last edited:

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been fine with average use after the first few days. There seems to be somewhat of a "breaking in" period where the battery is really poor until you run it down below 10% for the first time and then charge it all the way back up for some odd reason. After that it's pretty decent. I get about 16 hours or so on average during a normal day. Your mileage may vary.
Anyway, beyond that I can't think of a single reason not to get it. It feels just as modern to me as any other WP handset. OS performance is snappy and you'd be hard pressed to find a better camera.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
You should probably also expand your device expectations to rumoured and upcoming devices, such as Goldfinger or the 1030. If there's no rush, don't buy old hardware.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the replies! I might just go with the 1020 as I dont even know for sure if the 930 will even come to canada and Im not interested in playing 3D mobile games, as I have an xbox one for that! ;) I will dig deeper into the forums though for those comparison topics.

currently the 1020 is 49.99 CAN if i renew with my carrier and a new nokia flagship if we got one will atleast be 199.99.

Nice Choice!
I wont be wrong if i say Nokia Lumia 1020 is still the undefeated king!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Coming from iPhone 5S to a Lumia 1020 (had a 920 before iphone), Rogers customer. Honestly, if you can get the 1020 at a good price off contract i would recommend it. I've had it for a month now and very pleased, the camera is awesome (even if you're just using the auto settings). Running 8.1 DP has been great, i was also considering the 930 but passed since i believe more models will be released later this year...hopefully some will come to Canada.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
At any point in time, there is always something better coming in the future. You could spend your whole life waiting for the next great thing, and never having any of it.

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If camera is that much of an issue get the 1020.
Otherwise you might consider the 925/928, it should be considerably cheaper than the 930 and probably has a better battery life as its screen is smaller.