Which Video Frame Rate To Use For Recording?

dan0001

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have just got the 1020 and have checked out the three 1080 recording options on the video camera and am unsure which to use.

I live in the UK with a reasonably new (2006) Sony KDL40W TV and I want to make sure I choose the option that is best for playback on this TV. I think it doesn't matter so much for playback on a PC monitor as the monitor is more flexible in this case, but if I am wrong in this please let me know!

My understanding is that I should should a frame rate in multiples of 25 as the UK standard is 25 fps. This would hopefully mean that playback on my TV would not result in dropped frames from a source that was different e.g. the 24 or 30 fps options that the 1020 also supports. I am guessing that 24 has been provided as it is a "cinematic" option and 30 is for the US.

However, if it doesn't actually matter anymore with full HD TV's and the analogue switch off etc, then I would like to record at 30 fps as this theoretically leads to smoother playback as it has more info captured (I understand there is probably another debate on this point, but that is separate for now!).

Can anyone advise?

Cheers
Dan

dan0001

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi Himanshu,

Thanks for replying! I am not too bothered about the cinematic thing, but I really get bothered by juddering especially if it is avoidable :)

So if I need to use 25fps that's ok, I just would like to know if that is the correct thing to do based on my really limited understanding of what is actually going on when the video is playing out on the TV.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Himanshu,

Thanks for replying! I am not too bothered about the cinematic thing, but I really get bothered by juddering especially if it is avoidable :)

So if I need to use 25fps that's ok, I just would like to know if that is the correct thing to do based on my really limited understanding of what is actually going on when the video is playing out on the TV.

I am not sure since I live in Asia (India ) and TV here are full hd or ultra hd (4k). But I record and play video at 720p because they don't eat up my phone storage and quality is still great.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The higher frame-rate and the higher resolution, the greater the usage. Some people like 24/25 fps as that's what movies are filmed at, but otherwise higher framerates will give sharper motion.

Most screens can handle 60 fps, but if it can't then the screen will just display what it can.

If what you mean by "juddering" is what I think you mean, it usually happens when a display interpolates frames by taking a movie filmed at a lower framerate (ir 24 fps) and plays back at a higher framerate (example: 60 fps) by inserting new frames between the actual frames. To avoid this either record at a higher framerate or turn off frame interplation on your TV.

Generally, I think that if space isn't an issue then record at the highest possible framerate and resolution. You can always scale the resolution down or take frames out later.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Considering Bluray is 24fps, your TV will handle it. Some European Blurays are 1080p25hz though.

I'm not really familiar with the conversion from 30/60hz to PAL's 25/50. I know PAL to 60hz isn't very pleasant, although it depends what is converting it.

I'd stick to 24fps.

Do you have any idea what fps/hz your TV was marketed as? 100hz? 120hz? 200hz? This is just the multiple used. For instance, on US TV's its generally 120 or 240, which means for 24fps content each frame is shown 10x to create 240hz. If you watched 24fps natively, it would blink terribly and be unwatchable. My plasma uses 48hz and its still too slow. It shows a slight flicker on bright content. :/

dan0001

May 25, 2014
Visit site
hi rkarolak, yep by juddering i mean that - the TV trying to fix the framerate by inserting or dropping frames.

hi blacklac, that's the problem - I can't actually find the specs of the TV with things like refresh rate on it (have looked through the manual and online sony support and couldn't find anything).

thanks guys for all the advice, i reckon i'll have to do some experimenting and also see if i can dig up some more detailed info on the TV itself. i have a feeling it might support both 50Hz and 60Hz (it's a bit too old to be a 100Hz I think) in which case i should theoretically be ok with either 25 or 30. I haven't watched too many blurays on it, but the ones i have have played out perfectly with no judder so it must have native support for 24 i guess. i think my real problem is having just only a little bit of knowledge in this which is always a dangerous thing!

cheers
dan

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720