How's your 1020 battery life?

Medo0

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
How's your 1020 battery life? Mine's horrible. Can barely last up to 6 hours with regular not continuous use!
How about you guys?

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you have the 8.1 dev OS, there are tons of posts on it, seems really mixed - some with 1020's say its much worse, some say some, a few say better.

Since I upgraded to 8.1 (including the latest recent upgrade that was supposed to fix some battery life issues), mine has been TERRIBLE. I've tried a lot of tweaks (background tasks, etc, but not wanting to disable a lot of functionality like Cortana and location). I'm lucky if I can make it through a work day with regular use. So probably 6-10 hours on a full charge since upgrading to 8.1.

I haven't done a hard reset yet (which some say helps), so considering that although not looking forward to spending the time needed to get everything set back up to the way I have it now.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Amazing with 8.1+update1, getting 24-30 hours on medium use almost always. Before 8.1, it was so random it could go from 10 hrs all the way to 20 hrs, random battery drains caused many of the problems.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Try disabling background apps in settings, most aren't necessary to always work in the background, I have now blocked all of them including the weather app for example, when I need weather update I will check for it manually, there's no need for it to update so often and use data and GPS.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Try disabling background apps in settings, most aren't necessary to always work in the background, I have now blocked all of them including the weather app for example, when I need weather update I will check for it manually, there's no need for it to update so often and use data and GPS.

With 8.1 I have ALL APPS allowed in background, except for IE since i believe there are still processing battery drain issues with it.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only apps I have set to background allowed (other than the ones that cannot be changed) are WPCentral, Cortana, Bing Weather, OneDrive, Calendar, Store, Here Drive, and Skype. A few of those are pretty necessary for functionality I require (live tiles, notifications, backup of pictures).

The Battery Saver individual app usage reporting doesn't give me any insight as to a specific app that is going nuts in the background, but I really don't think it reports very accurately either. Whichever app I use the most, that one is always tops in the list even if it shouldn't use a lot of battery (I can see games burning through battery, but not something like text messaging).

But as chezm mentioned, seems like a lot of people getting good battery life don't need to sacrifice functionality. Seems more random than anything.

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
easily between 16 - 22 hours on medium usage, not even restricting background apps or email syncs, the latest 8.1 update w/bug fixes seems to have done wonders!

Medo0

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow guys 😲 there must be something wrong with my device. Does glance cause battery drain? How about glance background?

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I dont have glance background on, but i have set mine to peek mode. standby time is different for the phone...in airplane mode mine would easily last over a week. you need to see what apps are taking up battery both current and in background mode. also, maybe a hard reset will solve your issues?

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine is around 12 hours usualy, got slightly better after the soft reset. As far as I'm concerned, they have a lot of troubles with quality control on this particular handset and battery time can realy differ from like 6-8 hours to 20+.
My advice: if it's realy that bad, go to the service. It's not normal.

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is the 1020 weakness. If I dabble with the cam app a lot like taking pic with high mp (38mp)in "oneshot" app. It really sucks up juice big time. Anyway I still need to charge it everyday without fail. 2000 mAh is just insufficient for such a powerful camera. Cheers mate!

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Ate the camera grips any good?

I just bought a camera grip for a wedding in June. I haven't tested it extensively, but I love the feel and function. It is a solid accessory. ATT is selling these for $41 online if you happen to live in the states.

Medo0

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
So does it help at all with taking pictures? Haven't you noticed any difference with battery while using it? I was supposed to get one with my phone, so I contacted the seller and he's sending me another one

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It helps, especialy if you have a tripod. Battery life is better ofc, but when you put it on the phone you shoot way more, so the result (battery life) is usualy the same.
If you'll get a grip don't forget that you have to keep it charged and never fully drain the battery - it's li-on so it will degrade in dry condition.

Medo0

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
It helps, especialy if you have a tripod. Battery life is better ofc, but when you put it on the phone you shoot way more, so the result (battery life) is usualy the same.
If you'll get a grip don't forget that you have to keep it charged and never fully drain the battery - it's li-on so it will degrade in dry condition.
So, do I have to keep charging it even if I'm not using it? Because I heard once that Li-Ion batteries drain even when they're not being used? Also, does my 1020's battery act the same way? Because It fully drained a couple of times, and now I'm worried that this is might be the reason why it doesn't last that long... One last question, Is it okay to charge my phone overnight? My phone usually takes 30-45 minutes to fully charge, but I'm just used to leaving my phones charging all night. Will that do my battery any harm?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos