06-01-2014 01:15 PM
28 12
tools
    How's your 1020 battery life? Mine's horrible. Can barely last up to 6 hours with regular not continuous use!
    How about you guys?
    05-29-2014 10:46 AM
    If you have the 8.1 dev OS, there are tons of posts on it, seems really mixed - some with 1020's say its much worse, some say some, a few say better.

Since I upgraded to 8.1 (including the latest recent upgrade that was supposed to fix some battery life issues), mine has been TERRIBLE. I've tried a lot of tweaks (background tasks, etc, but not wanting to disable a lot of functionality like Cortana and location). I'm lucky if I can make it through a work day with regular use. So probably 6-10 hours on a full charge since upgrading to 8.1.

I haven't done a hard reset yet (which some say helps), so considering that although not looking forward to spending the time needed to get everything set back up to the way I have it now.
    05-29-2014 10:57 AM
    Amazing with 8.1+update1, getting 24-30 hours on medium use almost always. Before 8.1, it was so random it could go from 10 hrs all the way to 20 hrs, random battery drains caused many of the problems.
    05-29-2014 11:08 AM
    Try disabling background apps in settings, most aren't necessary to always work in the background, I have now blocked all of them including the weather app for example, when I need weather update I will check for it manually, there's no need for it to update so often and use data and GPS.
    05-29-2014 12:26 PM
    Try disabling background apps in settings, most aren't necessary to always work in the background, I have now blocked all of them including the weather app for example, when I need weather update I will check for it manually, there's no need for it to update so often and use data and GPS.
    With 8.1 I have ALL APPS allowed in background, except for IE since i believe there are still processing battery drain issues with it.
    05-29-2014 12:47 PM
    The only apps I have set to background allowed (other than the ones that cannot be changed) are WPCentral, Cortana, Bing Weather, OneDrive, Calendar, Store, Here Drive, and Skype. A few of those are pretty necessary for functionality I require (live tiles, notifications, backup of pictures).

The Battery Saver individual app usage reporting doesn't give me any insight as to a specific app that is going nuts in the background, but I really don't think it reports very accurately either. Whichever app I use the most, that one is always tops in the list even if it shouldn't use a lot of battery (I can see games burning through battery, but not something like text messaging).

But as chezm mentioned, seems like a lot of people getting good battery life don't need to sacrifice functionality. Seems more random than anything.
    05-29-2014 01:10 PM
    easily between 16 - 22 hours on medium usage, not even restricting background apps or email syncs, the latest 8.1 update w/bug fixes seems to have done wonders!
    05-29-2014 02:29 PM
    Since 8.1 is not available to me yet mine goes about 36 hours in standby
    05-29-2014 04:10 PM
    Wow guys ๐Ÿ˜ฒ there must be something wrong with my device. Does glance cause battery drain? How about glance background?
    05-30-2014 06:01 AM
    I dont have glance background on, but i have set mine to peek mode. standby time is different for the phone...in airplane mode mine would easily last over a week. you need to see what apps are taking up battery both current and in background mode. also, maybe a hard reset will solve your issues?
    05-30-2014 11:44 AM
    I've already done a hard reset. Didn't affect it at all. How can I see what apps are taking most battery ๐Ÿ”‹
    05-30-2014 11:47 AM
    Mine is around 12 hours usualy, got slightly better after the soft reset. As far as I'm concerned, they have a lot of troubles with quality control on this particular handset and battery time can realy differ from like 6-8 hours to 20+.
    My advice: if it's realy that bad, go to the service. It's not normal.
    05-30-2014 11:51 AM
    Battery life is the 1020 weakness. If I dabble with the cam app a lot like taking pic with high mp (38mp)in "oneshot" app. It really sucks up juice big time. Anyway I still need to charge it everyday without fail. 2000 mAh is just insufficient for such a powerful camera. Cheers mate!
    05-30-2014 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ate the camera grips any good?
    05-30-2014 01:36 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ate the camera grips any good?
    I just bought a camera grip for a wedding in June. I haven't tested it extensively, but I love the feel and function. It is a solid accessory. ATT is selling these for $41 online if you happen to live in the states.
    05-30-2014 01:43 PM
    So does it help at all with taking pictures? Haven't you noticed any difference with battery while using it? I was supposed to get one with my phone, so I contacted the seller and he's sending me another one
    05-30-2014 02:08 PM
    It helps, especialy if you have a tripod. Battery life is better ofc, but when you put it on the phone you shoot way more, so the result (battery life) is usualy the same.
    If you'll get a grip don't forget that you have to keep it charged and never fully drain the battery - it's li-on so it will degrade in dry condition.
    Medo0 likes this.
    05-30-2014 05:56 PM
    It helps, especialy if you have a tripod. Battery life is better ofc, but when you put it on the phone you shoot way more, so the result (battery life) is usualy the same.
    If you'll get a grip don't forget that you have to keep it charged and never fully drain the battery - it's li-on so it will degrade in dry condition.
    So, do I have to keep charging it even if I'm not using it? Because I heard once that Li-Ion batteries drain even when they're not being used? Also, does my 1020's battery act the same way? Because It fully drained a couple of times, and now I'm worried that this is might be the reason why it doesn't last that long... One last question, Is it okay to charge my phone overnight? My phone usually takes 30-45 minutes to fully charge, but I'm just used to leaving my phones charging all night. Will that do my battery any harm?
    05-31-2014 12:53 AM
    Mine is between 4-6 hours on 8.1 some days its one hour extra
    Maybe Nokia will issue a fix
    05-31-2014 10:07 AM
    Mine is between 4-6 hours on 8.1 some days its one hour extra
    Maybe Nokia will issue a fix
    This is exactly like mine. It makes me wanna cry ๐Ÿ˜ฟ
    06-01-2014 05:46 AM
    I would exchange it. I have had two 1020s. My first one had HORRIBLE battery life. It could drop 20% battery/hour. I returned it and got another one, this one can EASILY last 2-3 days with medium use. It's night and day between the two.
    06-01-2014 05:55 AM
    I dont have glance background on, but i have set mine to peek mode. standby time is different for the phone...in airplane mode mine would easily last over a week. you need to see what apps are taking up battery both current and in background mode. also, maybe a hard reset will solve your issues?
    How can I see what apps are causing the drain? I've already done a hard reset. Should I do it again?
    Blacklac likes this.
    06-01-2014 06:18 AM
    I would exchange it. I have had two 1020s. My first one had HORRIBLE battery life. It could drop 20% battery/hour. I returned it and got another one, this one can EASILY last 2-3 days with medium use. It's night and day between the two.
    I wish I could exchange it. I bought off Amazon and I live in the middle east. So that's nearly impossible. Can Nokia Care change my battery?
    06-01-2014 06:53 AM
    WP 8 i usually get 2 or three days between charges only have either wifi or mobile data on only have live mail sync , no Facebook or any that stuff running 24/7.. apart from using games i found the WiFi or mobile data increases battery drain ,if switch them off and limit useage ill can get around 5days
    06-01-2014 08:46 AM
    It must be my device then.I really hope I'm wrong though :(
    06-01-2014 11:18 AM
28 12