My operator deactivated the 4G option on my 1020!

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I bought a Lumia 1020 through my local operator (CHT Taiwan) a few months ago and I was a bit worried finding that the 4G option was nowhere to be found in the "connection speed" dropdown list.
Turned out I was right to worry as when I picked up a prepaid LTE SIM card in Malaysia, the 4G option was still absent.

My question is: will a flash with a ROM from another region unlock that option or will it do nothing because of a persistent operator-specific configuration file (like those found on WP7).

Thanks !

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, there's a variant that doesn't support lte on a hardware level. If you have that, even if you flag an unbranded firmware then it still won't work. I could be mistaken though. Just trying to recall here the different variants of the phone

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Mmm that is correct for the RM-876 version but I have an RM-875 variant so the HW should be there. The specific variant is RM-875_apac_taiwan_951

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It could be the network variant then that prevents it as you've thought. There is a possibility that the option for it will be unlocked if you flash with a different variant. Sorta like not all variants support the field test menu access but if you flash one that supports it then you can access it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It could be the network variant then that prevents it as you've thought. There is a possibility that the option for it will be unlocked if you flash with a different variant. Sorta like not all variants support the field test menu access but if you flash one that supports it then you can access it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Indeed. I'm going to flash it with a European one just after Cyan gets rolled out.

have you updated your phone to the latest firmware version (Lumia Black)?
Yes but the problem is due to the operator customization, not to Nokia firmwares per se.

JoseCortesP

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm you that if you flash a CV / unbranded, the 4G option will be there (Just don't flash a LTA Costa Rica, since I was in the same boat as you with my RM-875). The only thing to note is that, with all the variants I've tried, I still can't get any phone call when I'm on LTE, and it's not the network since my other phone (a 920 CV) changes to 3G when a call is coming.

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.
That must be due to the fact that CS Fallback (CSFB) may not be provisioned properly.
Actually I got to know that 4G will be normally activated with the upcoming Cyan update. I'll update this thread accordingly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett