Lumia 1020 owner eyeing the Galaxy K Zoom

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
10x optical zoom beats the 1020 hands down. If it was not running Android I think this would be my next phone. With Samsung slowly moving to Tizen this has me excited. I would love to stick with Nokia/Microsoft if they produce something that competes. I really want to start hearing about the next wave of WP camera tech. The 930 and 630 do nothing to advance camera tech. Anyone have any info on this?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
1/1.5" sensor, f/2.2 aperture, DNG format, and Windows Phone beats the K Zoom hands down

Could be. I am no photographer and don't know what those things mean. Zoom is the feature I am most interested in. I am loving it on the 1020, but the Zoom K beats it in that regard.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
bigger sensor (1/1.5" vs 1/2.3") and larger aperture (f/2.2 vs f/3.1-f/6.3) means better light intake, which means better quality photos
DNG (or RAW) format is for pro photography post processing

apart from the zoom, Samsung Galaxy K Zoom is no better than Nokia Lumia 1020 in terms of physical camera specs

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think The K Zoom still looks more like a camera than a phone, yes they slimmed down the S4 Zoom monster but not enough, it's too thick and heavy.
While the 1020 is pure sexy :winktongue: The camera bulge is not too bad, and I actually like the angle it gives the device while on the desk, makes it easier to look at.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the Zeiss glass is far superior optics leaving better colors, bokeh, and far less ghosting and color fringing then samsungs glass. For photography that's huge!

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Could be. I am no photographer and don't know what those things mean. Zoom is the feature I am most interested in. I am loving it on the 1020, but the Zoom K beats it in that regard.

Before you jump on the K Zoom train, or any other smartphone/camera train because of their camera, wouldn't it be wise to learn about the basic camera features in your 1020?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Before you jump on the K Zoom train, or any other smartphone/camera train because of their camera, wouldn't it be wise to learn about the basic camera features in your 1020?

I have learned quite a bit, but have no aspiration to go any further. I just want to zoom in on my kids sporting events to get closer to the action without having a dedicated camera. No, I won't be getting the K Zoom, but rather hope Microsoft aren't sitting on their laurels, either.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
10x optical zoom beats the 1020 hands down. If it was not running Android I think this would be my next phone. With Samsung slowly moving to Tizen this has me excited. I would love to stick with Nokia/Microsoft if they produce something that competes. I really want to start hearing about the next wave of WP camera tech. The 930 and 630 do nothing to advance camera tech. Anyone have any info on this?

Keep in mind initial information isn't always correct:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-K-zoom,Nokia-Lumia-1020/phones/8532,7876

I don't see image stabilization listed. That would be missed on a zoom shot for sure.

The processor on the Samsung could make video editing a breeze though, sitting on a tailgate, or anywhere in the world.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind initial information isn't always correct:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-K-zoom,Nokia-Lumia-1020/phones/8532,7876

I don't see image stabilization listed. That would be missed on a zoom shot for sure.

The processor on the Samsung could make video editing a breeze though, sitting on a tailgate, or anywhere in the world.

Thanks for this link. OIS *is* in the Camera Features list for the K Zoom. Don't get me wrong: I love the 1020 and know it's the best camera phone currently. I guess I'm just worried about all the talk of WP and "emerging" markets that Microsoft won't pay attention to us on the high end.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I just want to zoom in on my kids sporting events to get closer to the action without having a dedicated camera.

unless you're planning to stand more than 100 meters away from your kid, I'd say stick with the Nokia Lumia Ten-effin'-Twenty
heck, I'd use my 1020 in any case and any distance for sure...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It really comes down to, can you deal with Android as an OS? Would you benefit from Android's App's? How important really is zooming beyond 4-6x? Obviously, at close range, your going to get great photos from both cameras.

The unfortunate thing with Lumia's (most smartphones, really), it really takes 2x zoom just to match what your eyes see.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this link. OIS *is* in the Camera Features list for the K Zoom. Don't get me wrong: I love the 1020 and know it's the best camera phone currently. I guess I'm just worried about all the talk of WP and "emerging" markets that Microsoft won't pay attention to us on the high end.

Sorry, guess I missed that.

There were several times yesterday I would have like to have had a small zoom on my old s2, for grabbing some bokehs and bringing parts of the ship closer.

Optical zoom is my preference, and a cheap monopod.

Could have gotten so many better pictures with just a small zoom here:
a2yzutun.jpg

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You know, You can zoom in up to 3x with Your 1020 without quality loss? (It's almost without, but for casual users you can claim it as "lossless zoom"). And You can zoom in more afterwards. Oh, and the 3.1 minimum aperture in K Zoom... it's just wow. You're going to need lots of light to get a decent shutter speed. Really - think about that!

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Steve was quite surprised about the K Zoom in his article and I was rather surprised as well. However just as he concludes: There is no real winner there. The Sammy of course features a real optical zoom, yet is heavier and bulkier than the Lumia. The latter one has a larger sensor and seems to have better automatic exposure and color reproduction compared to the Zoom.

Another interesting aspect would be battery life and general accessories: Does the Sammy have any sort of tripod mounts or photography dedicated cases? The camera grip for the Lumia gives not only roughly 50% more battery life but also allows to mount the phone on any standard tripod mount available.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I would wait and see what Nokia had in the pipeline before investing in anything else... shouldn't be long now.. we should have an idea what's coming by the holidays.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6