Lumia 1020 owner eyeing the Galaxy K Zoom

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Many cheap $100 point-and-shoot cameras have 10x optical zoom with a small 1/2.3" sensor. The difference is that the K Zoom runs Android and sells on Galaxy branding.

Cameras with 1/1.5" sensors tend to fetch far higher prices despite the usually short zoom range (around 3x). Don't believe me, go shop around for cameras.

So don't be fooled by the marketing pitch to sell you an inferior product at premium prices.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
inferior in terms of zooming doesn't mean inferior overall

if you want the zoom badly, go for K Zoom
if you want a better all-rounder, stick with 1020

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait till Christmas?

I think its worth it at this point.

In this case I would always go with fixed high quality lens + bigger image sensor .. the more movable parts the easier to brake, which is why Nokia didn't continue the development of their own optical designs. Considering how many times I've dropped my 808.. I would be scared to use something like the galaxy k on a daily basis.

The heavier it is, the harder it hits the ground..

Nokia's approach is much better for a mobile phone overall.

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
To me the huge difference is that with the 1020 you get "post zoom" but the K zoom is "pre zoom". For a point and shoot situation, like when on holidays etc, this is a critical difference (IMHO). Having to pre zoom almost guarantees that you miss the shot!

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Looks fine to me. I'm not particular about looks or heft, but I will not under any circumstance use Android. If they put Tizen on there I would consider it, but prefer to stay Microsoft.

I think windows base phone are better in term of photography. Espesially Nokia Lumia Series. They have lot of manual control at nokia camera which user friendly for both pro and amateur user

Well i'm not use K Zoom nor 1020. Still I use L625 and have little experience with S3 and apple 4S

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You know, You can zoom in up to 3x with Your 1020 without quality loss? (It's almost without, but for casual users you can claim it as "lossless zoom"). And You can zoom in more afterwards. Oh, and the 3.1 minimum aperture in K Zoom... it's just wow. You're going to need lots of light to get a decent shutter speed. Really - think about that!

If you're shooting at 5mp, true, as you're basically cropping in. Shooting at full resolution you don't have "lossless zoom".

You do point out the tradeoff for optical zoom however, which is the aperture. Prime lenses (fixed focal length) will always have better apertures compared to zoom lenses. In general they'll have better optical quality, assuming you have a very good quality prime vs a good quality zoom lens. It's a tradeoff for the convenience of being able to have optical zoom. Of course, with cell phones the quality of the sensor and lenses also vary widely.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think windows base phone are better in term of photography. Espesially Nokia Lumia Series. They have lot of manual control at nokia camera which user friendly for both pro and amateur user

Well i'm not use K Zoom nor 1020. Still I use L625 and have little experience with S3 and apple 4S

In general the iPhones since the 4 have had good cameras. They may not be the 1020, but they do produce pretty good images and have fast shot-to-shot time, something that the 1020 isn't very good at.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In general the iPhones since the 4 have had good cameras. They may not be the 1020, but they do produce pretty good images and have fast shot-to-shot time, something that the 1020 isn't very good at.

Except all their lenses, including the 5s, are way too narrow... its like you are shooting in "instagram" mode all the time. Actually, I think this is the main reason for instagram's obsession with square photography. Hopefully the new gen iphones will have wider lenses..

Other than that, their IQ in good lighting conditions has been good since the 4s. Low light is still a no go, and their flash performance is no match for the xenon powered Nokias .. even the ones from 2009

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos