Nokia Lumia 1020 / Verizon Wirless / Windows Phone 8.1 (MAJOR QUESTION FOR YOU GENIUSES OUT THERE)

ZackTheNever

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok... So I have a Lumia 1020 that Microsoft sent me, I want to be able to activate it on Verizon Wireless, but it seems impossible due to the fact that VZW does not support the device. However, in my findings, I believe there is a way to do it and active non-VZW devices on the network legally.

In receiving the device, I have contacted Verizon asking them to transfer numbers, and they did via the IMEI number on the device. However, it did not register correctly with the representative at VZW, and was taken as a Non-VZW device. Another thing is that with 4G devices, all you need to do is swtich the SIM card out and stick into the other. I have been doing this for several days and still nothing so that is why I need your help.

I have noticed that in WP8.1, there is a new feature that allows you to set either 2G, 3G, or 4G on your device. I have discovered that Verizon devices run on CDMA, which would only be 3G for my device and the device is actually GMS.

Is there any other possible thing I could try to beable to legally active this phone via VZW? Please give me hope fellow WP lovers!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon network technology is inherently incompatible with GSM phones, which includes all Lumias saved for the ones that are Verizon branded. The 1020 is not one of them.

ZackTheNever

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Verizon network technology is inherently incompatible with GSM phones, which includes all Lumias saved for the ones that are Verizon branded. The 1020 is not one of them.

Ok then, is there anypossible way I can somehow install firmware or activate something on the device for it to support CDMA. ANYWAY ...??

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok then, is there anypossible way I can somehow install firmware or activate something on the device for it to support CDMA. ANYWAY ...??

No. The hardware isn't there. The radios for the CDMA network technology and its frequencies simply don't exist in the Lumia 1020. There are some phones that have hardware for both CDMA and GSM, like some of the iPhones, but the 1020 isn't one of them.

Even if it did support CDMA and you did manage to enable the CDMA radios compatible with Verizon you'd have to convince Verizon to whitelist and add the phone to their network. CDMA phones aren't like GSM - You can't just pop in a SIM card to use it on your account. It has to be activated on Verizon's side.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You can often take a Verizon phone, if its a world phone, and use it elsewhere (often limiting yourself to Edge or HSPA/+) but you can't take GSM phones to Verizon.

Sorry man. :/

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on getting a 1020 but since it is not a CDMA Phone it will not work on Verizon's current network. If perhaps they change in the future, you may get it to work but for now it will not work. You will have to use it on AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers