Curious if anyone has been able to take the 1020 from ATT and use it on the Straight Talk system..

From what i understand I just need to get a simcard for the 1020 (and possibly get the phone unlocked via ATT rep or pay one of those 3rd party companies $30 to get the code)?

I believe the card i need is the GSM $6.99 one from here

And following this, use specific settings in the phones MMS area to get messaging and internet working?

Is all of this accurate.. and is there a failure rate here too?

I was hoping to leave the ATT service alone while testing this theory for 1 month with a sim card swap. (then i have to deal with early termination fees unfortunately).

Thanks in advance for any tips/info here...
    06-05-2014 11:17 AM
    As long as you get a Straight Talk SIM card using AT&T's service you won't have to unlock the phone. Order the Micro SIM card in the link, pop it in your 1020, and go. You'll likely have to manually adjust the APN settings to get data. Someone else will have to help you there. I'm familiar with doing that on Android but not WP.
    06-05-2014 11:47 AM
    You can also take it to AIO/Cricket. That's what I did. No unlocking needed.
    06-06-2014 07:16 AM
    Have used straight talk without problems on SG3, Focus and currently on Ativ S. They were all AT&T variants but unlocked. Have to input correct apn in settings. Haven't used ST on a locked AT&T phone, though. Be sure to get the ST AT&T SIM as they also sell T-Mobile sims
    06-06-2014 07:48 AM
    AT&T is pretty nice about providing the unlock code. I got the code from them a week after my purchase. No need to buy the code.

I don't know about the StraightTalk part...
    06-10-2014 11:27 AM
    AT&T is pretty nice about providing the unlock code. I got the code from them a week after my purchase. No need to buy the code.

I don't know about the StraightTalk part...

Yeah right, been trying to unlock a spare 1520 and denied every time. Says I reached max, so I had my daughter a try, she has never unlocked a phone and she has been with ATT longer than I. Denied because she reached her max.
    06-10-2014 11:31 AM
    I've found that popping an ATT SIM from ST into an ATT phone is super painless. So far its the only SIM they offer where you don't have to configure the APNs. I'm using ST on a 920 right now.
    06-10-2014 11:31 AM
    I've found that popping an ATT SIM from ST into an ATT phone is super painless. So far its the only SIM they offer where you don't have to configure the APNs. I'm using ST on a 920 right now.
    I usually had to manually create an APN to get data & MMS to work. This was on both WP and Android. But other than that it was easy enough.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-10-2014 11:38 AM
    I successfully switched over from ATT to Straight talk.. i'm getting anywhere from 8mbit to 24 mbit download.. i have 3 LTE bars out of 5.. moments before the switch i had 5 out of 5 with ATT..

I had to change /add only one line in the internet apn settings.. and a few in the mms to get that working..

Internet APN:
    tfdata for the name.. nothing else set

MMS:
    APN: tfdata
    WAP: 66.209.11.33
    MMSC: http:/mmsc.cingular.com

I guess for the savings i'm happy.. only thing is that there doesnt appear to be visual voicemail.. has anyone gotten that working with the nokia 1020? Now i just await Early Termination Fees most likely.. which are rather stiff.. i dont think section 1.3 applies anymore in terms of getting out of them.
    Last edited by markm75; 06-12-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    06-12-2014 11:36 AM
    Same goes for Aio/Cricket. In fact I had APNs set up from before, and it didnt work, it only worked right when there were no APNs installed.
    06-12-2014 01:39 PM
    I successfully switched over from ATT to Straight talk.. i'm getting anywhere from 8mbit to 24 mbit download.. i have 3 LTE bars out of 5.. moments before the switch i had 5 out of 5 with ATT..

I had to change /add only one line in the internet apn settings.. and a few in the mms to get that working..

Internet APN:
    tfdata for the name.. nothing else set
    Has anyone had issues with the nokia 1020 and streaming since switching.. i run into hiccups over LTE.. video either on youtube or other sources will pause, caching playback for long amounts of time.. i never had this issue with at&t directly? Wondering if maybe my apn setting is to blame..
    06-18-2014 11:01 AM
    Now i just await Early Termination Fees most likely.. which are rather stiff.. i dont think section 1.3 applies anymore in terms of getting out of them.
    I remember awhile ago reading about users who switched from AT&T to Straight Talk or Net10 using AT&T's service and never getting the ETF. Somehow AT&T still registered them as active since they were still on the network. I believe that hole has now been plugged though. You can only hope!
    06-18-2014 11:04 AM