Macro - focus stacking deeper DoF

Reyno1969

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Since my last posts here http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...020-next-level-macro-edition-post2562612.html I've gotten myself a cheap mini tripod and focusing rail.
I've been playing around with my Lumia1020 to do some amateur macro, but was never happy with the shallow depth of field (see first image)
so today I tried focus stacking for the first time, I'm quite impressed with results this phone can come up with!
There's a soft spot at the top of the bug due to the on screen menu in camera being in the way, lesson learnt, i'll frame my shot better next time.
31 shots taken at various focal points with WB set to cloudy, shutter speed 1/70, iso 100, and I used touch screen auto focus (hair pin makes a great stylus ;) ) with natural light.
You can see the lens I used in the link above.

First shot in the sequence showing shallow DoF
WP_20140606_11_38_09_Raw.jpg

Completed shot after merging in photoshop, with a little additional sharpening and colour/tone adjustments.
deadbug.jpg

Reyno1969

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok I just put that app to the test - and the short answer is no.
First off it didn't focus the whole object when I used all in focus, secondly you've got no control over camera settings (iso, shutter speed, wb & so-on) finally you can't save as raw-dng so you lose all the benefits of lossless zoom, on a plus though it can be used as a tool for finding your min and max focal length whilst doing close up shots.
Compare the below "Refocus" app pic with the focused stacked image in the op and decide for yourself.
WP_20140607_08_32_42_Refocus.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos